Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

12v lights dimming and brightening

I'm new to this forum, but not new to RV's nor my 2002 Jayco Eagle Model 300 FSS. It's been a great TT and has never given me one problem!

Today, while doing some basic cleaning, the 12v lights that were on started dimming and then brightening constantly. When I unplugged from shore power, it stopped and they went back to their normal operation. I did not have the AC running or anything else, other than the fridge.

I'm seeking opinions on whether it's a battery going bad or maybe my convertor is getting weak?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
kjp760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

OK, are you at home?

Since you unplugged from shore power and then the dimming/brightening stopped, I would assume that your battery is ok.

Let's consider very simple answers to this. Since the dimming and brightening occurred while on shore power, maybe you had a window air conditioner running at your home, or electric dryer or something else drawing current at the same time your were cleaning your RV. Even a neighbor using a power tool would explain the dimming and brightening of lights on shore power. Just a thought.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

Hmm, well I hadn't thought of that.

Yes, I am at home, but I do have a separate building on my property with a separate meter from the house itself. In addition, when plugged in at home, the 30 amp plug I use is on it's own separate breaker.

I should clarify that the dimming and brightening I'm referring to, think along the lines of a strobe light, almost completely going off and then back to normal brightness, constantly back and forth.

I've never had this happen before, whether at an RV Park or at home plugged in, so this caused me to think that I'm developing a problem.

I appreciate your thoughts!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #4

That's an odd problem... Check the battery voltage while unplugged from shore power, and then check the input voltage coming in from your converter. Battery should be over twelve volts unplugged, and then up to 14 volts when plugged in to shore power.

Almost sounds like the converter is cycling...
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

Thanks! I'll check that this weekend. As for the converter, that's kinda what I was thinking!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #6

I'm months late in coming back and thanking y'all for the info and guidance. My mom's illness and business interests got in the way. I replaced the converter with a newer solid state model of the same brand, with a built-in cycling system to help the battery life. Have not had one single problem since then.