Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #1

12V Wire Routing to Sleeping Area for CPAP

I want to add a 12V socket next to the bed to run a CPAP machine directly on 12V. No need to run an inverter as the CPAP uses less than 1Ah on 12V. Some models appear to have a 12V socket next to the bed with the 120V A/C outlets, but mine was not equipped that way.

What I would like to do is install a 12V socket in the bed platform sidewall and then down to a 12V junction connection in the cargo area or outside where the wire bundle enters.

I tried to find the 12V source for the blue mood lighting over the bed and the two white lights over the bed, but all that wiring is hidden inside/behind the cabinetry and not accessible from what I can tell.

I can see the wiring from the battery going into the body in a bundle (shockingly no grommet on the hole, so the wire bundle is against the sharp metal edge...I'll fix that.). But I have no idea where it goes after that. It doesn't go into the cargo area and if it does it must be behind the finished surfaces that don't seem removeable. My underside is fully insulated so I can't see nor do I know how to take that insulation down. In the cargo area I see a wooden box screwed in with two screws on one end......wire junction?

Do all the wires run underneath body/frame to the breaker/fuse panel?

I don't see any way to run wiring from the breaker/fuse panel through any walls to get back to the bed.

Any suggestions on how and where to connect to?

Thanks.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:16 AM   #2

Without knowing your model here is a generic thought, can you go directly from your battery?
Old 01-20-2022, 10:28 AM   #3

I can connect the CPAP directly to a 12V source. When tent camping, I used to hook it to a 12V deep cycle that I brought along.

I just can't figure any way to get wiring routed in/out of the trailer or find any 12V source to tap inside near the sleeping bed or in the cargo area under the sleeping bed. Does the main wire bundle from the outside go directly into the cargo area and then branch off or is it all underneath the underside insulation?

The cargo area has finished surfaces all around which I can't figure out how to remove and I don't want to rip and break it off to just search around for a 12V source that may or may not be there. Same for interior walls and cabinetry.

I figure there must be some way through the cargo area as there is pre-wiring for an inverter there so there has to be some path to get large gauge wiring out to the batteries for it; I just can't find what that path is.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #4

What I was thinking if you have a front bedroom with storage below the bed, run the wire through the floor of the storage. You will probably need to cut a small flap in the sealed underbelly which you can seal back up with a strong tape.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:38 PM   #5

Similar issue, I am in the process of installing 12v USB outlets by each bed. I am tapping off the cargo area light in my front pass through for power. Just have to remove the light to get to the wiring. I figure I can just run them along the top of the storage compartment (underneath bed) with some cable clips. Hope that helps.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:35 PM   #6

Where is your main breaker/fuse panel? In our Seneca the panel is under the bed and on the 12v fuse panel there were 2 open spots for fuses. On the back side of the panels are just pigtails to connect +/- wiring to.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #7

I have a 212qbw with 2 white lights and the blue light strip up above the bed. The white lights just pop out easily. On our trailer we have closet on either end where I drilled a hole into it. Since the shelve above bed is 1.5” thick for mounting lights and to run wires. I then fished a coat hanger through the closet hole I drilled to where the light is mounted. I then taped wires off that. For 12v power and mounted the plug to the bottom of the closet.
dalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:19 AM   #8

I tied into the cargo compartment light on my 212QB and ran the wires into the bedroom above. #14 wires was plenty big for that real short run. It was easy to do.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:02 AM   #9

I did this job yesterday! I use a cpap too.

My bed has a hanging closet on my side of the bed which has a drawer at the bottom. I pulled out the drawer and there was 12v wires there by LUCK.

My plan had been to get power from the light fixture above the headboard or beliow my bed in the storage bin which contains the fusebox and numerous wires.

I installed a dual device housing a cigar lighter hole and a (2) usb plug for phone charging.

By the way, I also installed a 110 vac outlet there to since there was not one clise by.
Job completed.
Steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:55 AM   #10

Thanks, I'll try that. I'll check on the gauge of the wiring to those lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalfaro View Post
I have a 212qbw with 2 white lights and the blue light strip up above the bed. The white lights just pop out easily. On our trailer we have closet on either end where I drilled a hole into it. Since the shelve above bed is 1.5” thick for mounting lights and to run wires. I then fished a coat hanger through the closet hole I drilled to where the light is mounted. I then taped wires off that. For 12v power and mounted the plug to the bottom of the closet.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #11

Well that's interesting. My 2022 212QB does not have a light in the cargo area. I wonder why Jayco did a delete on that light in my model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I tied into the cargo compartment light on my 212QB and ran the wires into the bedroom above. #14 wires was plenty big for that real short run. It was easy to do.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #12

To add to my thread above;
Attached Thumbnails
1DF9F86D-6405-4D75-B35C-77F023ABF74C.jpg   251C8C24-30FB-4521-AF88-B2713B54A6D0.jpg  
Steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66lincoln View Post
Well that's interesting. My 2022 212QB does not have a light in the cargo area. I wonder why Jayco did a delete on that light in my model.
My 21qb has one on the curb side, I am planning on swapping it out for an led strip so I can cover both sides. I dig into the street side when setting up.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
I figure there must be some way through the cargo area as there is pre-wiring for an inverter there so there has to be some path to get large gauge wiring out to the batteries for it; I just can't find what that path is.
Can you just use the inverter pre-wiring for some of the way?
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 04:13 PM   #15

Where is your battery disconnect switch?
Mine is inside the cargo area.
P.Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #16

I ran power from my ceiling light on my trailer through the ceiling channel back to the top of the bedroom cabinet. Drilled hole in top panel of cabinet. Mounted my amplifier/extender for my trailer TPMS units there.

I'm planning on running my CPAP power through the walls of the storage unit direct from battery to bedroom side cabinet. Add a power box, fuse and power connector. Already have AC power in that location. So following those wires for most of the way should work. We shall see!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 06:55 PM   #17

12 volts for CPAP machine

I assume you have an 110v outlet handy. Why not just plug in a 12v adapter that works for the CPAP? If that's a possibility I would forego installing new outlets.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I'll check on the gauge of the wiring to those lights.
If it's anything like mine, I have found that they ran 14ga wire to everything.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
If it's anything like mine, I have found that they ran 14ga wire to everything.
Thanks. Seems like the only problem is determining how to dismantle the trailer interior and poke holes in the insulated underside to actually access the wiring. I have the same problem with the solar. While it has factory solar installed on the roof, it did not come with an auxiliary jack on the side of the unit for portable solar panels.

It may be faster to just drill some holes and run my own dedicated 14ga wires from the bed, through the storage compartment and out to the battery.