Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Angry '13 Whitehawk Broken Rear Window

I pulled the bonehead of the year move yesterday afternoon and broke out the large rear window on our TT. (2013 27DSRL Whitehawk) I called the only dealer in our vicinity about replacement and their answering machine said they are closed until January 1, 2014 for Christmas. (Pharr RV in Lubbock, TX). Several of the glass companies suggest it is a special order window. So does it look like the I will get a lump of coal in my Christmas stocking from my wife as our travel plans are now on hold?

Any temporary patches/fixes???????? We intended to go to Garner State Park west of San Antonio. Not much chance of rain but if it did ........
Sticki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

The handy mans best friend, duct tape, comes in many colours and the high tensile... 6 mil poly vapour barrier should do the trick. I used it for a week while on the road in Newfoundland on the rear window of the truck after I made contact with the front of the 5er while backing in to an unlevel, tight site. It kept out the rain until I replaced it in Mt Pearl. I put ribs of tape strips in the middle to reduce movement. I used WD40 to clean of the adhesive residue left on the vehicle. It is amazing how much sound is blocked by the glass compared to poly.
Saw a 5er in a border crossing line, with a visible crack in the exterior sides of the rear of the unit, the large rear window must have been replaced. Whatever he backed into must have been flat and solid.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Site Team

I thought the glass companies could make just about anything to order, guess not.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #4

I had one broke last year. Don't know how but it broke. Called the local glass guy out and he said the same as yours had to be ordered. Only took two days but not the holidays either. I you are needing to use it put you a piece of cardboard cover that with plastic and you will be fine.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #5

Try the dealers along the way.

There are 2 in DFW 1 in Austin and 1 in San Antonio.

You might get lucky.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

We used tinted plexiglass as a temporary replacement for a customer. Dealer will take at least 4 weeks to get in.
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
I had one broke last year. Don't know how but it broke. Called the local glass guy out and he said the same as yours had to be ordered. Only took two days but not the holidays either. I you are needing to use it put you a piece of cardboard cover that with plastic and you will be fine.
I do not think local glass companies can cut type of safety glass like used in RV windows.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #8

Our kitchen window got broken earlier this year and I wound up buying a replacement window from this place.
http://parts.mirageinc.com/
I couldn't find a local glass place that seemed interested in cutting a piece of glass for me so after a little interweb surfing yielded these guys. My window wasn't very big and the replacement was a little over $100. After the old one was out I took it apart and can't figure out how I would have replaced one of the panes anyway.
The above suggestions for a temporary covering sound good. A piece of blue/pink insulation foam might make a good filler for the opening held in place with "camper's tape" (you know, the grey stuff).
Good luck!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticki View Post
I pulled the bonehead of the year move yesterday afternoon and broke out the large rear window on our TT. (2013 27DSRL Whitehawk) I called the only dealer in our vicinity about replacement and their answering machine said they are closed until January 1, 2014 for Christmas. (Pharr RV in Lubbock, TX). Several of the glass companies suggest it is a special order window. So does it look like the I will get a lump of coal in my Christmas stocking from my wife as our travel plans are now on hold?

Any temporary patches/fixes???????? We intended to go to Garner State Park west of San Antonio. Not much chance of rain but if it did ........
If this happened to me, I would think duct tape and some form of stiff backing material [cardboard to thin paneling]. If broken but still mostly in the frame, that will seal things up and buy you the time to get it fixed, potentially after you get back home. Immediate goal should be to secure the area, spending no time trying to hide our brain f*rt that caused the problem. On our way south last January, I gassed up and then got in a hurry to pull to the side lot to help the wife with the dogs. [Brain f*rt time] A tight left turn pulling away from the pump and I hung up the TT on the metal pipe bolsters on the end of the pump island. Actually dodged a bullet because damage was superficial with no damage to the wheels and axle. Wife knows from previous similar events not to say a thing. I picked up the pieces got out the duct tape to secure broken wheel well cover and siding trim and we proceeded on our trip.

It might help if you got it off your chest and would remind the rest of us not to do the same thing.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote