Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

154BH excessive tire wear

I have a 2102 154BH, purchased new, and it suits my needs very well. However, after the first 1000 miles, or so, I noticed excessive tire wear on the inside edge of the driver's side tire. I contacted my dealer and was told it didn't seem normal and that I should watch wear on new tires when they were installed. I don't put many miles on the camper, but the same incidence of tire wear on the inside edge of the driver's side tire occurred again this year. I took the camper to the dealer and measurements showed the alignment to be correct. However, looking at the tires from both the front and rear of the camper showed they were canted inward, i.e. riding on the inside edge of both tires. We then looked at a newer model of the 154BH and noted that it was provisioned with a 3,500 pound straight axle. To me this was a strong indication that Jayco had recognized the 3,000 pound axles on the earlier models were inadequate. To me, this meant the camper weight was excessive for the camber rating of the axle. I have been very careful to ensure the tire pressure was correct, and that the camper was never overloaded with extra equipment.

Having read through the forum, I see that excessive tire wear seems to be a somewhat universal problem. On my own initiative (before joining this forum) I instructed my dealership to install a 3,500 pound straight axle. I ended up with a 3,500 pound drop axle, because the Jayco engineers said that was the only axle suited to my particular frame. I guess I can't argue with that.

Being aware that Jayco has done recalls on some models for undersized axles, I wrote to Jayco, stating my case and asking for reimbursement for the cost of replacing my original axle. It seemed like a reasonable request, but Jayco turned me down.

Unfortunately, being new to this environment, I didn't have photos of the tire wear, or documentation about the original axle. By the time I realized I would need this information, the dealer had junked the old axle and tires.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had any success with reimbursement from Jayco, with respect to excessive tire wear. I can't imagine I'm the only 154BH owner who has had this tire wear problem. I haven't had time to put mileage on the new axle yet, but will watch the wear carefully, and update the post to let folks know if the heavier weight axle solves the problem.
Kent Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #2

I don't have the same model as you. I own a 2013 White Hawk. I had problems with my tires and axles. Fortunately I was still under warranty. I and others here had our axles replace through Dexter the axle Manufacturer.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

Hello Rick,

Thank you for your response. I'm aware Jayco had replaced axles on the White Hawk models, which I felt was further proof that they recognized severe tire wear was an indication of axles being too light. Because I didn't recognize the problem as the axle being at fault, I didn't bring it to Jayco's attention within the warranty period.
Kent Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote