Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2023, 07:10 PM   #1

154BH or 174 Baja - need photo of factory flipped axle

Can someone please send a photo of their axle on the 154BH Baja? Or a 174 Baja. I think the axle is supposed to be flipped -- under the leafspring, not above it.

Seems like the previous owner of my 154 Baja may have actually lowered the axle -- put it above the leafspring. Kinda defeats the purpose of getting the Baja model with the flipped axle doesn't it? So now I think I have to undo their mod to put it back into the flipped mode.

So strange that someone would do this.
adsfhjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:10 PM   #2

Below is a picture of my 195RB Baja axle. You are correct - for the Baja models the springs sit on top of the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
SDC10898.jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #3

Thanks! Yup, my Baja has the axle above the springs, so the previous owned un-Bajaed it. **shakes fist at previous owner ** I'm going to re-flip it so it's under the springs as it came from the factory. I can only guess the previous owner did this because they thought it would save on gas/mileage.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Just thinking out loud, but is there any possibility that someone simply added the Baja badging or is the package listed on your option sheet? Either way, yes the axle should be below the springs.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:06 PM   #5

Excellent question. I know that they didn't add the Baja badging because the sticker on the side of the unit lists the 15-in Wrangler truck rims that came standard from the factory and I think that is Baja standard equipment. Also when I look at the axle I see the brackets on the top and the bottom of the axle. If it was the non Baja model it would only have the brackets on the bottom of the axle. So yeah the previous owners lowered the suspension.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:33 PM   #6
Site Team

I know that everyone has their reasons, but my single favorite thing about our current Baja is the ground clearance. I can't imagine purposely lowering it.

We are actually in the market for a new trailer and we are really going to miss the Baja package if we can't get one again next time around.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:43 PM   #7

The previous owner might have un-flipped the Baja because then the entry is one less step up. They might have had problems getting in and out. Or maybe their pet...
laidbackpedalpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:00 PM   #8

You cannot just flip the axle over due to its natural camber. Flipping the axle is a misnomer.

You have to weld spring perches on the top of the axle to go to spring-over (oversprung)

Make sure the bow of the axle is up, not down. The axle should measure furtherest from the ground at the middle.

It's possible the PO flipped it without welding perches and then your fix is simplified by simply flipping it back. That's the best case scenario for you, OP.

It's also possible the axle was replaced at some point with an undersprung axle. Generally, trailer axles are undersprung. Believe me, I'm shopping for new axles now and oversprung is much harder to find. I'll probably just have to get some welded up to get exactly what I need.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboy1989 View Post
You cannot just flip the axle over due to its natural camber. Flipping the axle is a misnomer.

You have to weld spring perches on the top of the axle to go to spring-over (oversprung)

Make sure the bow of the axle is up, not down. The axle should measure furtherest from the ground at the middle.

It's possible the PO flipped it without welding perches and then your fix is simplified by simply flipping it back. That's the best case scenario for you, OP.

It's also possible the axle was replaced at some point with an undersprung axle. Generally, trailer axles are undersprung. Believe me, I'm shopping for new axles now and oversprung is much harder to find. I'll probably just have to get some welded up to get exactly what I need.
For anyone questioning this, he is 100% correct. If you flip you also need to weld on new spring purchases on the opposite side otherwise the flip job will be completely wrong and will create more problems than you had before. Lastly the breaks must be flipped as well because the adjusters need to be at the bottom. Your break wires will also be facing the wrong way and exposed to moisture and dirt so the axel needs to be rotated to keep those wires towards the back.

—> https://youtu.be/LqTD8LUfIpM