Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2022, 06:14 AM   #1

154BH-SLX Towing with Subaru?

Hello I am about to go pick up my new 154BH-SLX with my 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6. I was going to use it for just a year until I upgrade my vehicle. What do you recommend for weight distrubution system? Has anyone else used a Subaru?
Rita D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:18 AM   #2

Sorry but your car is not suitable. The rig is over 3,000 lbs loaded and just barely under when empty ( of battery and propane too).

no on the WDH for Outbacks from this source https://www.subaruoutback.org/thread...-hitch.253385/

While you might be able to go, the important parameter is being able to stop.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:25 AM   #3

An Outback has approximately 3,500 empty and 4,600 pounds max. With a trailer that big in an emergency it will be the tail wagging the dog. Plus, if you have a reasonable load in the car plus the 15% tongue weight and a hitch you at max or more of the maximum GVW rating of the car.
Get something a bit bigger and heavier or get a popup until you can.

For a small trailer the Andersen hitch is probably the best for you.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:18 PM   #4

It’s smart to ask. Stay smart. Don’t tow with that Subaru.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:34 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Your primary problem is going to be staying within the 200lb. max tongue weight. Can't use a wdh because the rotational forces will damage Suburu's unibody frame, but that ( at the risk of a down the hole debate in anecdotal internet engineering) is the only way to increase receiver hitch capacity. My receiver is rated at 500 lbs./ 750 w/wdh. Then, GCVW notwithstanding, your other problem if you do hookup is likely going to be sway ( can't use mechanical sway bars on a Suburu for the same reason you can't use a wdh) Especially if you configure weight to the rear of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. If you're in the neighborhood of recommended tongue weights for towing travel trailers of 12-15%, a 200 lb. max tongue weight limits you to about 1700 lbs for trailer weight. Then to add insult to injury, you have a CVT and without added cooling you'll burn it up before cat licked his rear, even with the manual shift feature ( paddle shifters) which many Outback owners don't reaize they have ( Outback owner here).
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #6

Fine analysis. I simply condensed it to, Don’t tow with that Subaru.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Your primary problem is going to be staying within the 200lb. max tongue weight. Can't use a wdh because the rotational forces will damage Suburu's unibody frame, but that ( at the risk of a down the hole debate in anecdotal internet engineering) is the only way to increase receiver hitch capacity. My receiver is rated at 500 lbs./ 750 w/wdh. Then, GCVW notwithstanding, your other problem if you do hookup is likely going to be sway ( can't use mechanical sway bars on a Suburu for the same reason you can't use a wdh) Especially if you configure weight to the rear of the trailer to reduce tongue weight. If you're in the neighborhood of recommended tongue weights for towing travel trailers of 12-15%, a 200 lb. max tongue weight limits you to about 1700 lbs for trailer weight. Then to add insult to injury, you have a CVT and without added cooling you'll burn it up before cat licked his rear, even with the manual shift feature ( paddle shifters) which many Outback owners don't reaize they have ( Outback owner here).
Thank you so much for your insight. I have gone to Subaru and will likely be upgrading to the Ascent. Thank you for your input.
Rita D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:15 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita D View Post
Thank you so much for your insight. I have gone to Subaru and will likely be upgrading to the Ascent. Thank you for your input.
Just be aware, even though the Ascent has a 5k tow capacity, it is built on a unibody frame which precludes use of a wdh and/or mechanical sway bars. Furthermore it has a continuously variable trans. and that type transmission is more prone to overheating under towing conditions. If the vehicle is equipped for towing it should have an appropriate transmission cooling system, if not you'd be wise to have one installed.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:58 AM   #9

https://www.ascentforums.com/forums/towing.127/

No WDH No sway bars... The Ascent is more of a boat hauler. But can handle teardrops.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
it is built on a unibody frame which precludes use of a wdh and/or mechanical sway bars.
Unless the manufacturer specifically says not to use a WDH, there is nothing about modern unibody construction that precludes the use of a WDH. Note "modern". Early unibody generally was not strong enough for a WDH, which is why that view still persists. I used one on my 2000 Pontiac Montana to tow an '03 Kiwi 17a. It worked just fine.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:13 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Unless the manufacturer specifically says not to use a WDH, there is nothing about modern unibody construction that precludes the use of a WDH. Note "modern". Early unibody generally was not strong enough for a WDH, which is why that view still persists. I used one on my 2000 Pontiac Montana to tow an '03 Kiwi 17a. It worked just fine.
Suburu says no for a 2022 Ascent, because it's a unibody frame, no to mech. sway bars because there's an electronic sway sensor, end of story.
Old 08-27-2022, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita D View Post
Hello I am about to go pick up my new 154BH-SLX with my 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6. I was going to use it for just a year until I upgrade my vehicle. What do you recommend for weight distrubution system? Has anyone else used a Subaru?
If you bought your trailer at a dealer, they should have asked you what your tow vehicle was and confirmed what the tow capacity is for it.

They are as much to blame as anyone selling you a TT you can't tow.

Obviously just trying to make a sale with little knowledge of what is actually needed to tow that TT.

They put your safety in jeopardy.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #13

I have been towing a '18 154BH for 4 years. I had a RAV4 and when I purchased the new TT I upgraded tow vehicle to a '15 PF Platinum with 5000LB tow capacity. In addition I added air shocks to my PF. I have been up and down the west coast multiple times and have never had a problem. I'd say it's a no go for the Subaru.
Bippygma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:14 AM   #14

Back from 10,000km trip from Toronto, northern US, to Banff and back towing a 3000lb+ Jayco 195rb with a Subaru Ascent. Aside from much reduced gas mileage it was a great vehicle for the task. Electronic stabilization on the Subaru's means no sway bars needed, and they could damage your frame. My tongue weight was close to 400lbs with a full trailer load. Last year with same setup I went 7,000km to East Coast Canada with no problems, however on very windy days there was a bit of rocking for sure. For the west trip this year I installed rear spring donuts to help with the slight pitching and they work well and recommend them. I have the trailer package with CVT transmission cooler and never had any overheating issues on long uphills or hot days. The Ascent works very well for towing but I don't think a trailer that's 4000lbs+ would be a good choice.
akaybone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 10:05 PM   #15

I don't know why you're getting so many no's. Your rating is 3500lb, 350 on the tongue, right? I tow a 154bh with a 2023 Touring XT with no problems whatsoever. 330 on the tongue fully loaded, well under 3500#. No sway whatsoever. She does sag but I have spring helpers installed which do help. How was your trip home from the dealer picking up the trailer?
staldigator is offline   Reply With Quote