Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #1

154bh vs 174bh and towing

I am considering purchasing a new (2021) 154bh or 174bh, does anyone know if the 3+ feet in exterior length difference makes a significant impact on the maneuverability, such as backing up, pulling into gas stations, parking, etc.?

This will be my first TT and first time towing. I will use my 2006 Chev. Express van (model G1500 with a v8) as the TV.
Mr G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:40 AM   #2

Typically the longer trailer would be easier to backup. The shorter the trailer the more turning required.
However, I am sure a slightly wider turn would be required, the longer the trailer.
I would think with either of the trailers you mentioned, would be easy to handle.
Your tow vehicle looks like a good fit.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know at what lengths does a trailer usually becomes easier to back up? As you mentioned, the longer trailer tends to back up easier, which I have read in other articles, but I have never seen an length amount given.

In my particular case, do you think there will be a noticeable difference when backing up a 18 ft. TT compared to a 21ft. ?
Old 11-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

I don't know about "length sizes" but just a guess the 21ft will be a little easier than the 18ft...how much easier is up to the driver and their experience.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

I am a relatively new owner of a 264BH and I find it easier to back up than my 12 ft kayak trailer. But seriously, I think either of those will give you equal challenges maneuvering into gas stations, around campgrounds, etc. As for backing, maybe the longer one, but as you asked, I'm not sure what length the easier factor kicks in, just make sure you have a spotter or a good command of what's behind there.
NGaCamperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
In my particular case, do you think there will be a noticeable difference when backing up a 18 ft. TT compared to a 21ft. ?
It's not so much the length of the trailer, the length from the coupler to the axle is what determines how quickly the trailer reacts to steering wheel input. If you can measure both models and find a negligible difference in that dimension, they will both react about the same. I have a harder time backing our 5X8 utility trailer than our 23' travel trailer. With some practice, you'll be able to maneuver any size trailer comfortably. As mentioned above, a spotter helps immensely to keep you away from hidden obstacles.

Once you catch on to where to place the trailer wheels before backing into a site, it becomes easier. An open empty parking lot is a good place to practice. We've ALL had to learn how to safely back and make corners with our rigs.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #7

Good question!
We have a four canoe trailer. It is a real challenge to back up. It tends to go where it wants.

The 195 RB is a relative breeze. Just do not forget it is there. We dont have mega gas stations like Pilots of Flying Js .. But we have been comfy squeezing into small convenience stores and general store pumps.

its mostly a matter of tow time. You will get used to whatever length you pick with your other priorities.

Just remember when backing up the trailer is leading and keep steering wheel corrections smooth and infrequent.

You can come practice on my canoe trailer!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:08 PM   #8

As an owner of a 2019 154BH, but previous owner of a longer trailer, as well as driver of an eighteen wheeler, I wouldn't let the length of the trailer and concerns about whether or not a specific length trailer is easier to backup or not drive your choice of trailer. I find the 154BH very easy to back up, so select the once that provides the amenities and space you want, and as others suggested, practice until you're comfortable backing it up and you'll do fine. And remember the acronym GOAL - Get Out And Look...
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #9

As Anacortes above said, you will get used to either one pretty quickly as they are very similar.

But the one that fits your needs as you camp. I have a 195RB which is all I feel safe and comfortable pulling. But boy would it be nice to have more storage space. A little more "elbow" room would be nice also.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #10

I was also between a 174BH and 154BH and ultimately went with the 154BH because it fit my family's needs. I had no previous experience towing or backing up a trailer and it didn't take long to become comfortable. Others on this thread have shared great advice; the only advice I would add is don't worry about or let onlookers rush you when navigating gas stations, backing up, etc.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime3o3 View Post
I was also between a 174BH and 154BH and ultimately went with the 154BH because it fit my family's needs. I had no previous experience towing or backing up a trailer and it didn't take long to become comfortable. Others on this thread have shared great advice; the only advice I would add is don't worry about or let onlookers rush you when navigating gas stations, backing up, etc.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. So, how do you like your 154bh? Anything a potential buyer should look out for before purchasing on of these?
I love it. The 154Bh is my first trailer and overall I think I've been pretty lucky (maintenance and repairs should be expected when you own a TT). Just remember, it's a small trailer; with a small trailer you're going to get less interior living room, storage, and standing height inside. Having a young child, tent camping became more difficult and less appealing. We weren't looking for the fanciest or largest accommodations; we simply wanted a warm place for her to sleep and somewhere to retreat to if we had bad weather.

These were the ultimate deciding factors for going with the 154:
1. Length
-Storing the 174BH at my house would have been a tight fit
-We spend a lot of time on rough forest roads. Sometimes a few feet can
make a big difference
2. Table Space
-Out of the group of friends we regularly camp with, we have the largest trailer. During rain storms we wanted to be able to get five or six people around the table inside (I didn't say comfortably, ha). The 154BH has a larger table than the 174BH. Only drawback here is the 154's table has to be converted to the bed every night and back to the table in morning (doesn't bother us) where the 174 has a designated bed and table.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #13

I would go with the 174. It has wider bunks and a bed that’s
Not folding down the kitchen table
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #14

Adventurer

Quote:
I am considering purchasing a new (2021) 154bh or 174bh, does anyone know if the 3+ feet in exterior length difference makes a significant impact on the maneuverability, such as backing up, pulling into gas stations, parking, etc.?

This will be my first TT and first time towing. I will use my 2006 Chev. Express van (model G1500 with a v8) as the TV.
It will make a small difference as far as towing, but a major difference in stay-ability. The 3 ft make a major living difference as far as move around room...I currently have the 154bh, and been in it about a mo. , just one person, hard to even make a meal w/o having to move a bunch of stuff...lol
wendetlcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:00 PM   #15

length

Quote:

Having been a Jayco dealer for many years, I have to strongly suggest the 174 over the 154 model. 1st...there is virtually no diff in towing in either length of weight, except the 174 will be easier to back up....But my biggest suggestion is to be more concerned about the inside rather than the outside. You'll spend considerable more time inside the trailer, than behind the steering wheel. The 174 has a dinette that can stay up without having to take it apart every morning.
happy camping
Tcdoughboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #16

My wife and I bought the Jayco 175RD Baja Edition last year. Easy to pull and maneuver. With an overall length of 20.5 feet it is no hassle to pull into gas stations and commercial parking lots. The size allows us to squeeze it into tight campgrounds and dispersed camping sites.
We love having the queen bed and dining area at opposite ends, each surrounded by three windows. The hallway between the galley and dry bath/shower give each end a lot of privacy. As our sleeping habits differ I frequently make up the dining area into a comfy bed....we each get our own space. Also works well when I go with a fishing buddy. This model seems to have a lot of storage cabinets, nightstand, closet, and entertainment cabinet compared with others.
My guess is that you will be happy to have a dedicated bed that doesn't need put up and down daily. The slight difference in length is not enough to weigh into your decision. Get the the one that will meet your needs.

Jay Flight 175RD Baja Edition
2017 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi
e2 Fastway WDH
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #17

I always tell my newbie customers to find a huge parking lot, i.e high school, fair grounds, etc, take some crushable boxes or cones and just practice turning and backing up.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #18

As mentioned previously, don’t let the small differance in length sway you. At that length, the longer one is most likely easier to back up. I’m assuming more room inside also. I’ve never heard anyone say “Geeze, I wish I would’ve bought a smaller trailer”.
Your van will tow either with no issues.
Enjoy!
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #19

IMO not yours I would go nuts with the 154 because you would have to make that bed to the right once you get inside every nite. I had a Jayco SLX and I miss it terribly but realized that sleeping 3 was not going to work. Now that I am back to 3 I am regretting that decision but with what I have now I'm not. What I have now and Jayco did not make at the time is the Coachman Clipper. The 174 is what my clipper is. I love it. Even though making the bed is difficult but not impossible. Both trailers, 174 and mine I think you would enjoy more. Good luck. I have a jeep grand cherokee that tows the clipper and its has no problems towing. Just take your time driving and getting use to the tow. I drive a school bus so towing and making sure the height of everything you go under you can go under. Otherwise you will get that look of seriously? IMO I would go with 174. Tow responsibly and Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #20

Quote:

I wouldn't even be concerned about "drivability". You wobn't know the difference.

What you WILL notice is the difference in room and having a queen bed that doesn't need to be "converted" twice a day.

The 174 is the logical best choice.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote