Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #1

154BH Wall mounted AC cover & leaking issue.

Hello:

Newbie here just purchased a 2019 Jayco SLX 154BH. Unit has a wall mounted AC. I am trying to find out if anyone has placed a cover on the outside vent to cover when not in used. Something that can be used during travel or when there is no need for an AC. I am trying to prevent any leaks inside the camper. If you have, what did you used.

Also for anyone that does have this camper, does the AC units in this model still leak inside?

Thank you for your time.

Leo.
Pibe75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

If you use the search button above you will find that water leaking inside is usually from AC condensation.

Some of these window AC units are not level as installed. Also, your drain outside may be plugged. Then to add to the problem the roof air vent may be improperly installed.

After all that there are hidden screws holding it in if you ever need to take it out.

In any case, do a search, read the various suggestions on how to cure each.

I am luck so far, only my front window has leaked, been "fixed" started leaking again, been "sealed" and finally totally re-caulked by me.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

We have the same trailer in the Baja Edition. Up to now I've used the AC only once, and not in the conditions that would generate lots of condensation runoff. Like you, I'm also going to be sensitive to it leaking as I've read has been an issue with some others. I plan on taking it to Reno next month and will use it extensively at that time, and will be on the lookout for any leaks. If necessary I will put the door-side of the trailer up on leveling blocks to tilt the unit if necessary for it drain properly, assuming it becomes an issue. As far as a cover for the external screen, I hadn't given any thought to doing that. I guess pulling the trailer in a driving rain might change my mind if water intrusion becomes an issue.
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #4

I have this unit, but a 2018 model. Have also only used AC for one solid day and didnt have any leaks on the inside. As for travelling and storage and what not, I do not cover it as it's basically a residential window ac unit so meant to bear the elements. Have not had any issues of leaking inside. Hope that helps
stefanarroyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #5

I've straight up sprayed it with a garden hose when washing the trailer and never had it leak. In very humid conditions though, I have had it drip on our heads but our trailer was also not level and was working against us.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #6

Thank you for the feedback. I will be picking it up Thursday but I have to stop tomorrow at the dealer. I will ask them to double check this for me before pick up just to make sure. I will also monitor it whenever I start using the AC to see. Thx again.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Still would be nice to cover

We have a 195RB with the same AC installation. Last week we camped in a very windy spot with the wind coming in from the AC side. Cold air poured through the gaps around the AC. So even though we haven't had any water coming through, my wife started us thinking about ways to cover the AC when not in use. I haven't come up with any great ideas yet. Covers I've seen would not stay on at highway speeds.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
We have a 195RB with the same AC installation. Last week we camped in a very windy spot with the wind coming in from the AC side. Cold air poured through the gaps around the AC. So even though we haven't had any water coming through, my wife started us thinking about ways to cover the AC when not in use. I haven't come up with any great ideas yet. Covers I've seen would not stay on at highway speeds.
I am thinking of using an outside AC cover just while onsite or if possibly some kind of magnetic vent cover. Will try and see what I could use once I have the camper home. Will let you know what might work. Thx.

Tags
154bh ac, wall a/c