Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Mine is scheduled to be built next month (27BHS). I really like the black shrouds on top, do they usually all come in white? I would rather have black as well. I am on the fence about the aluminum wheels or the steel any other benefits other than looks for the aluminum? Did you call Jayco directly to make these changes or did your dealer handle them?
From what I understand and from what I saw on the lot and all the photos I have ever seen for 2016 JayFlights the standard for the covers is White. I worked it through my dealer, I asked if it could be done and they asked Jayco and they said no problem, they have them in stock. If they would not have done it the dealer was going to change them out themselves. On the MSRP Invoice from Jayco there is a line item to use Black Covers with an extra charge to do it, same with deleting the Graphics, Skylight and shipping some items loose so I could install. I worked the deal with these requests prior to these additional charges and they honored the agreed upon deal.

I did contact Jayco directly through their contact form about deleting the Skylight and they confirmed it could be done and for the dealer to ask for it through they're ordering contact at Jayco. I then requested this through the dealer, who had never done this before, and let them know Jayco confirmed it could be done. I had also asked Jayco direct if they could install an amber porch light, and the politely said they could not do that although I was hopeful they would.

As for Aluminum wheels I feel (not scientifically proven by me ) they are stronger and over time less prone to have issues from deterioration or rust plus complete the look of the trailer with the Black. It would be nice if they had made the standard steel wheel black like the JayFeathers, personally I think that would go better with the all Black trim over the White wheels.

Personally I wanted the All Aluminum (No Black) Sendel T03 wheel they have used in the past and was hoping to have a choice as I had seen the BHBE's with both style wheels but had to go with the Black that I got which was OK.

Our Sales guy said that was the most modified custom ordered Jayco he had ever done and they sell A LOT of them. I always like to know (and always do) more than the salesman for anything we purchase and this was one of those times, that being said he was super helpful and not afraid to ask about any of the requests. I should have pushed harder for the all Gray siding cause when I met with him to look at the camper it seemed like they did not really flow that request to Jayco very well and he thought they probably would have done it if that would of happened.

I had already requested so many little mods I did not want to push my luck so did not push to hard about that one.

Talk to your dealer about the Black Covers… my mantra was it does not hurt to ask, all they can say is No and Jayco said Yes on the covers.
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
From I understand and from what I saw on the lot and all the photos I have ever seen for 2016 JayFlights the standard for the covers is White. I worked it through my dealer, I asked if it could be done and they asked Jayco and they said no problem, they have them in stock. If they would not have done it the dealer was going to change them out themselves. On the MSRP Invoice from Jayco there is a line item to use Black Covers with an extra charge to do it, same with deleting the Graphics, Skylight and shipping some items loose so I could install. I worked the deal with these requests prior to these additional charges and they honored the agreed upon deal.

I did contact Jayco directly through their contact form about deleting the Skylight and they confirmed it could be done and for the dealer to ask for it through they're ordering contact at Jayco. I then requested this through the dealer, who had never done this before, and let them know Jayco confirmed it could be done. I had also asked Jayco direct if they could install an amber porch light, and the politely said they could not do that although I was hopeful they would.

As for Aluminum wheels I feel (not scientifically proven by me ) they are stronger and over time less prone to have issues from deterioration or rust plus complete the look of the trailer with the Black. It would be nice if they had made the standard steel wheel black like the JayFeathers, personally I think that would go better with the all Black trim over the White wheels.

Personally I wanted the All Aluminum (No Black) Sendel T03 wheel they have used in the past and was hoping to have a choice as I had seen the BHBE's with both style wheels but had to go with the Black that I got which was OK.

Our Sales guy said that was the most modified custom ordered Jayco he had ever done and they sell A LOT of them. I always like to know (and always do) more than the salesman for anything we purchase and this was one of those times, that being said he was super helpful and not afraid to ask about any of the requests. I should have pushed harder for the all Gray siding cause when I met with him to look at the camper it seemed like they did not really flow that request to Jayco very well and he thought they probably would have done it if that would of happened.

I had already requested so many little mods I did not want to push my luck so did not push to hard about that one.

Talk to your dealer about the Black Covers… my mantra was it does not hurt to ask, all they can say is No and Jayco said Yes on the covers.
Thank you for all the information! I will be asking my dealer about the covers. Really nice trailer you have there. What is a fair upgrade price for the rims?
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Do they discount the deletes?

The black A/C shroud looks nice!

Shouldn't there be an LP cover on those tanks?
The Deletes and Black Covers were part of the Deal prior to knowing if/what the extra charges would be. I worked with a number that did not include any extra charges i.e. if you specced a trailer on Jayco's website, which did not have any option to do any of the "Special Requests" I did, that was the number I used, plus freight and worked to right at 30% off. To finalize the deal I requested the Black Covers and Deletes be done. I would think, if the charges were known up front, if someone was ordering one then you would get whatever discount you negotiated off the total deal.

After getting a copy of the delivered invoice there were additional charges but my dealer honored the deal so in essence I did not pay extra and got them as part of the deal. The extra's total an additional $600 retail per the Invoice.

Delete Skylight $150, Delete Graphics $127, Install Black Shrouds / AC Cover $293 and Ship Loose Items $30.

The Black Cover for the LP Bottles is inside the Camper, when they deliver the trailers they don't have them on their until the dealer puts them on. I literally looked at it the day it was delivered to them, it was still covered in Snow dirt.

I want to install a Slide Cover… in hindsight I wish I would have worked than in to the deal as well, though I want to install it myself. Will try to purchase from them at a discount.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Also, what did they charge you for the rim upgrade?
Jayco MSRP Invoice price is $442, after negotiated discount roughly $300. Your cost would depend on what negotiated discount you received off of MSRP.

Did you spec a trailer on Jayco's website with all the options?
Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #45

Rats... I asked if they would do special requests and my salesman said no.
I didn't want the radio antenna since I don't care about listening to the radio and they mount it on the side of the rig where the plastic standoff will get taken off with my wash brush or a tree branch.
And I wanted a Fantasic fan in the bedroom instead of a regular vent.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Really nice trailer you have there.
Thanks… It will be a unique one when I get all the mods finished.

Quote:
What is a fair upgrade price for the rims?
Jayco MSRP Invoice price is $442, after negotiated discount roughly $300. Your cost would depend on what negotiated discount you received off of MSRP.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 PM   #47

Quote:
Thanks… It will be a unique one when I get all the mods finished.

My order has already been placed, but will not hit the production line for a couple weeks. I am hoping I can get the rims still added and the black colored vents. Just emailed my dealer.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #48

So they charge extra for the deletes?
I like the black AC shroud but do you think it will cause extra heat to build up within the AC unit itself during the hot summer days? I know in the dead of summer with my trailer is parked anything black I can actually burn my hand on from the heat of the sun.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
So they charge extra for the deletes?
Apparently they do... Jayco told me that there would be a charge to delete the Skylight.

There is a member here on JOF who deleted the Barhroom door and I believe they said there was a $75 charge to do so.

Probably because they have to change their standard flow of production even though it saves them parts and labor in the long run.

Black will be hotter but would not think enough to damage anything, many rigs use Black covers and if I had my choice I preferred Black esthetically. All the trim and covers around the body of the camper are Black and it came standard with Black LP covers so it tops it off nice to have the same scheme on the top.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #50

My dealer says not possible that they are all white due to the production line. I know not true but I feel him getting agitated.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:50 PM   #51

Quote:
My dealer says not possible that they are all white due to the production line. I know not true but I feel him getting agitated.
Sorry to hear that the dealer is not willing to check with Jayco, I am sure if they asked it could be done and being the weekend I don't think they could have found out that fast.

Since Jayco would charge extra anyways you could always buy some Black covers and put them on yourself. This is what I was going to do if the answer was no and the dealer wanted to charge me for them. They are easy to change out.

What did you decide on the rims? You can always put some on later if you wanted to.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #52

I am installing Air Bags and my Air Lift kit was deliverd yesterday, opened the box tonight to start the Bag assembly and found out I only have 3 Roll Plates, need 4 as they are the end caps for the Air Bags. The Kit looked like it was boxed by a kid, I am not impressed so far.

Needless to say I am not happy as tomorrow was about the only day I had to install them before picking up our camper in 3 weeks.

I also received my Equalizer 12k hitch, man the spring bars are much thicker than the 10k bars on my old hitch. Hopefully all the parts are there for the hitch, I will build that tomorrow since I can't install the Air Bags.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #53

I'm considering getting air bags for my F-150, what brand did you get...Firestone? How hard is it to install?
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #54

I went with Air Lift, for the F250 I liked how the Firestones mounted to the axle versus the Jounce Bumper stop better but I am a believer in family owned American manufacturing so decided to go with Air Lift.

Then of course the kit is missing Parts!

Since I am missing a critical part my install is on hold but I don't think it will be to difficult but I am mechanically experienced so this is not something that would be difficult for me, guess it would depend on your abilities.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #55

Update...

Scheduled for PDI/Pickup on our Camper on Saturday 3/19 with a 2 night shakedown trip on 3/24 at a local county campground.

In the mean time...

I called Air Lift about the missing roll plate and they sent me one right out, I told them the box was not packed very well but other than that all parts were there and looked new. They said it should have been neatly packed so either it had been returned without being installed (minus the roll plate) or Ace Venture had his way with the box as it looked like it had been taped back up. I am happy with their service so far, they were very helpful.

Today opened up as an option for install so I took advantage of it. Took me longer than I anticipated, little over 7 hours, but it was a 1 man show and I did it in the driveway not on a lift and took my time so I did not miss anything and have to re-do it.

So far no leaks and as stated before it does not take much air to fill so will use a small 12v Air Pump. I left it at 30psi for the night, we will see what it is tomorrow afternoon (I don't have to drive it tomorrow). I did run them up to 60psi and checked for leaks and all looked good.

Received my 12K Equalizer still need to assemble it, will bring the tounge brackets and assemble at the dealer on pickup day.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #56

Update...

1 Day to go... Completeting PDI and hopefully bringing our camper home this Saturday 3/19.

Printed out the PDI info (Thx to Fairenatic) and got all my paperwork and Plate to transfer together. Assembled my Equalizer 12K (Thx to IceOnFire for some measurement info), this will be my first time towing with our F250 though with the 12K and Air Bags I feel good about it.

Tough part is where the dealer is, is not the most convenient to get in and out of, tight streets with busy Orlando traffic so hopefully I don't hit anything or get any dents in this thing on the way out.

Hopefully when I get it home I can park it in my spot on the side of the house, will be interesting... Backing 28BHBE I took measurements so hopefully I was right.

I have 30 AMP at the house so I can hook it up when I get it home to play with it, I have the week off (Spring Break for the Son) and after a few days of other chores and loading up the rig with our camper stuff (I get my garage back) we have 2 nights booked at Moss Park in East Orange County (FL) for the Shakedown cruise.

I did have 2 nights booked at a more local campground we had never been to but after doing a drive by I decided not to risk it as it was very tight, although there were some big rigs in there, I am familiar with Moss Park so it is a better option.

Wish me luck... I hope all goes well with minimal to no issues.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #57

Good luck! Hopefully it's not too much of a sleepless night for ya!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #58

4 months after ordering our 28BHBE we brought her home today.

Took almost 4 hrs for our PDI/Demo, all went well and I found no damage and everything seemed to work as it should and all our special requests / deletes were correct. It was raining the whole time so did not spend much time on the ground but being an enclosed underbelly I could not see much anyways. I will crawl under it when I take it to the lot I use to adjust the hitch.

Positive with the rain is I searched for leaks and all was well and the awning dropped the water as it should. Was able to run all systems including city water and running on 50 Amp power and running both AC's simultaneously. We checked everything per the PDI list, had the DW go through the inside as a double check for my sweep. I could tell from the demo guy that people looking over the campers in detail are few and far between.

The dealer wanted to (and did) mail me the paperwork to sign ahead of time, in the end I politely requested to do my full PDI prior to signing anything or providing payment, I was told this is not their normal process but would "allow" me to do this. I find this scary for the uninformed RV purchaser, and there were people there picking up campers that had done it the dealers way.

Couple items missing were the Sink Covers from the Elite Pkg and the Bathroom Drain Plug but all in all we were pleased, I used the PDI checklist from the forum.

As for towing it... That is something I have to get used to, I had not towed in a year but this is a lot more rig than our X19H we had before. I never wanted to go this big but as fate would have it the opportunity presented itself that I needed to get a new TV and chose our F250 which allowed us the opportunity to get this floor plan which was our favorite "best of everything" floor plan but our TV in the past limited us. Smaller "lightweight" rigs that forced us to compromise on features we wanted where more $ or basically the same $ so it was a no brainier in the cost category as far as we got for the $, but size wise it was a big pill to swallow literally, but we went for it.

I was unable to setup the WDH correctly at the dealer lot but had guessed on a setting and it was not quite enough, luckily I had my Air Bags to bring the setup almost level but there was not enough pressure on the bars and distributing weight to the front of the truck. We are going to load all our stuff back into the camper this week then I will properly setup the WDH. This camper pushes a lot of air with it's increased height and sometimes moved my truck around pretty good, I believe (hope) this will correct itself once I get the WDH setup better. I have a cap on my truck so the air flow is smooth all the way back, once you get this camper out in the open and hooked up it makes my truck look small.

Pics to follow soon... been a long day and I'm .
Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 AM   #59

Congrats again, what an exciting day for you guys!!! How old is your son and how was his reaction, how did he do on the PDI?

How come it took 4 months? Anything wrong with the order or just a long time? When did they reach out to you to give you an ETA? How was that process?

Funny you mention the traffic on that avenue, we drove by there last month and I was thinking the same thing. Steep grade coming out of it and a small street for how busy traffic is. Also there was a lot of traffic in Orlando yesterday we were coming back from Disney around the time you were there.

I want to do the same thing you did, show up with my paperwork. The sales rep told me I'll need to plan on going down for the PDI. Then a few days later when my loan disburses, I can go back down to pick it up. I was thinking I'll grab the forms after the PDI and not bring the kids so we can focus on the PDI.

How helpful were they there with you setting up the WDH?

Congrats again and post pictures of you guys with it for sure.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #60

Hope you slept well.

Quote:
4 months after ordering our 28BHBE we brought her home today.

Took almost 4 hrs for our PDI/Demo, all went well and I found no damage and everything seemed to work as it should and all our special requests / deletes were correct. ...snip...

I was unable to setup the WDH correctly at the dealer lot but had guessed on a setting and it was not quite enough, luckily I had my Air Bags to bring the setup almost level but there was not enough pressure on the bars and distributing weight to the front of the truck. We are going to load all our stuff back into the camper this week then I will properly setup the WDH. This camper pushes a lot of air with it's increased height and sometimes moved my truck around pretty good, I believe (hope) this will correct itself once I get the WDH setup better. I have a cap on my truck so the air flow is smooth all the way back, once you get this camper out in the open and hooked up it makes my truck look small.

Pics to follow soon... been a long day and I'm .
Be sure to inflate your TV and TT tires to the maximum shown on the sidewall when towing. The higher pressure reduces sidewall flex which helps reduce sway.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote