Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 12:51 AM   #1

'16 28BHBE - Custom Order - 2nd AC

Thank You to those that provided me feedback on my Fiberglass vs Aluminum Side Jay Flight thread... as of now I think we have decided to go with Aluminum and the Sliding Windows (subject to change).

We are in Florida on the East Coast and intend for our next camper to be an 8 to 10 Yr camper that we will use to Camp in the Southeast and to travel out West and up North over time. I have decided I need to get over how big the 28BHBE is versus what we had prior (X19H) and although I wanted to stay as small as possible with double bunks, if we go much smaller I envision getting 2 foot itis (not so much me but the DW) and not being happy, this floorpan has everything we would ever want/need.

I am working on ordering a '16 28BHBE with the following options and have a couple questions about the 2nd A/C Option.

15K A/C Upgrade to CVP
2nd A/C in Bedroom
50 Amp Service Upgrade
Elite Package
Thermal Package
Cargo Receiver Hitch
Hide-A-Bed
39" TV
Aluminum Rims
Cashew Interior

For those that have Campers (Jay Flight or Eagle) with the 2nd A/C, does this unit tie into the Central Ducting or does it only run in the bedroom alone?

Is it a lower profile on the Top of the trailer? Anyone have any photos they could share of what it looks like?

I have seen bedroom photos of a BHBE with the 2nd A/C and the unit hangs down into the room like the standard roof tops. There is one a couple hours away I could go look at to see but was hoping someone on the JOF might be able to provide me the information I am looking for.

As for the other options if any one has any advice good or bad or suggestions please let me know.

Thank You...

MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:02 AM   #2

The second AC is not tied into the main ducting. It will be a stand alone 13.5 Coleman. Not the low profile unless something has changed. Low profile would be the Mach 8.

As for your options, I'd get them all. Didn't know you could get the Elite package without the fiberglass. Maybe so. Pros and cons to both as you know, but either will serve you well. I actually prefer the aluminum, but ended up with the fiberglass. You may never need the second AC, but as always, better too much than not enough. I don't have the second AC, yet, but do have the prep and will be adding the smaller Coleman Mach 8 myself later on.

If you've ever had an AC go out, you'll pat yourself on the back for having a backup. It happens. The 28BHBE is really not all that big, but then again, it's one of the smallest rigs we've owned. I think it is the perfect size. Not too big, not too small. It has been one of my most favorite floor plans with a very usable lay out. I do miss a few things we've had in the past, but don't miss the maintenance and washing of a 40' 4-slide rig.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
The second AC is not tied into the main ducting. It will be a stand alone 13.5 Coleman. Not the low profile unless something has changed. Low profile would be the Mach 8.

x2. You can see in this pic the front A/C is identical to the rear. It is not tied into the ducting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446025894.204237.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	20636

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Only downside I could see is the second AC will add to the weight and reduce the CCC of the unit. That`s not a problem with your truck though. And yes you can get the Elite package with Aluminum siding, I was looking at a 28RLS equipped that way.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

Only option I would consider cutting is the tv. You can probably get a nicer tv for less money. Would need a mount as well though.... I wouldn't have ordered it in ours. Just headed to Best Buy and bought one. But then again we haven't even turned ours on yet so not sure we really even needed it! Lol

Good luck with the order!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #6

We have the 15'version and got the Elite package, but kept it at 30 amp/15K AC. Worked great at Disney in mid June with 4 of us in there!! The dealer talked us into their TV by saying it would come hooked,up, run key and covered by warranty. We love ours so much!! But get ready to get some better bunk bed padding. My little one prefers the hide a bed for sleeping comfort. Hope this helps.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

I would weigh the warranty coverage vs the cost of the upgraded TV. Black friday is just around the corner!

On the AC ducting: My last unit had about 3 inches of foam insulation between the duct and a second unit that was easily removed to provide 2 units on the existing ducts. Not saying that this is your case, but it might be there if the front ducts run far enough forward and next to the vent that will house your 2nd AC unit.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

On our 2014 28BHBE, we bought it with "2nd AC Prep", so I can put whatever unit I want when I decide I need it. So far, we haven't NEEDED it, but there have been times when it would have been nice to have. We generally try not to camp quite so much during the hottest months of the year, so we just deal with it.

That being said, if I had it to do over again, I probably would have ordered a 2nd AC installed. We bought this unit from dealer stock, so it came how it is. I don't know what it would have cost to have the 2nd unit installed at the time of purchase, but at the very least, I could have financed the cost with the rig...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
On the AC ducting: My last unit had about 3 inches of foam insulation between the duct and a second unit that was easily removed to provide 2 units on the existing ducts. Not saying that this is your case, but it might be there if the front ducts run far enough forward and next to the vent that will house your 2nd AC unit.
On my trailer ('14 BHBE), the ducting runs right up next to the "prep" location in the front bedroom, so it would surprise me if the second unit couldn't be tied into the existing ducting.

Also, for whatever reason, the single AC unit pushes A LOT more air toward the rear of the trailer. With this floor plan, that's not the greatest. I would rather it push more air toward the front bedroom; I can use the "dumps" to get the other end of the trailer nice and cool, but the front bedroom only has the one ducted vent.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #10

I have a 2015 Eagle 284BHBE which I ordered from the factory. The biggest regret was listening to the salesperson and not ordering the 2nd AC for the bedroom. This June we were in Nashville and Pigeon Forge where the temps were in the high 90s. One day we hit 104 and the 15k unit struggled to keep the trailer in the 80s.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote