Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #1

'16 28BHBE - Custom Order - 2nd AC

Thank You to those that provided me feedback on my Fiberglass vs Aluminum Side Jay Flight thread... as of now I think we have decided to go with Aluminum and the Sliding Windows (subject to change).

We are in Florida on the East Coast and intend for our next camper to be an 8 to 10 Yr camper that we will use to Camp in the Southeast and to travel out West and up North over time. I have decided I need to get over how big the 28BHBE is versus what we had prior (X19H) and although I wanted to stay as small as possible with double bunks, if we go much smaller I envision getting 2 foot itis (not so much me but the DW) and not being happy, this floorpan has everything we would ever want/need.

I am working on ordering a '16 28BHBE with the following options and have a couple questions about the 2nd A/C Option.

15K A/C Upgrade to CVP
2nd A/C in Bedroom
50 Amp Service Upgrade
Elite Package
Thermal Package
Cargo Receiver Hitch
Hide-A-Bed
39" TV
Aluminum Rims
Cashew Interior

For those that have Campers (Jay Flight or Eagle) with the 2nd A/C, does this unit tie into the Central Ducting or does it only run in the bedroom alone?

Is it a lower profile on the Top of the trailer? Anyone have any photos they could share of what it looks like?

I have seen bedroom photos of a BHBE with the 2nd A/C and the unit hangs down into the room like the standard roof tops. There is one a couple hours away I could go look at to see but was hoping someone on the JOF might be able to provide me the information I am looking for.

As for the other options if any one has any advice good or bad or suggestions please let me know.

Thank You...
MIFL19H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:02 AM   #2

The second AC is not tied into the main ducting. It will be a stand alone 13.5 Coleman. Not the low profile unless something has changed. Low profile would be the Mach 8.

As for your options, I'd get them all. Didn't know you could get the Elite package without the fiberglass. Maybe so. Pros and cons to both as you know, but either will serve you well. I actually prefer the aluminum, but ended up with the fiberglass. You may never need the second AC, but as always, better too much than not enough. I don't have the second AC, yet, but do have the prep and will be adding the smaller Coleman Mach 8 myself later on.

If you've ever had an AC go out, you'll pat yourself on the back for having a backup. It happens. The 28BHBE is really not all that big, but then again, it's one of the smallest rigs we've owned. I think it is the perfect size. Not too big, not too small. It has been one of my most favorite floor plans with a very usable lay out. I do miss a few things we've had in the past, but don't miss the maintenance and washing of a 40' 4-slide rig.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
The second AC is not tied into the main ducting. It will be a stand alone 13.5 Coleman. Not the low profile unless something has changed. Low profile would be the Mach 8.

x2. You can see in this pic the front A/C is identical to the rear. It is not tied into the ducting.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446025894.204237.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	20636

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Only downside I could see is the second AC will add to the weight and reduce the CCC of the unit. That`s not a problem with your truck though. And yes you can get the Elite package with Aluminum siding, I was looking at a 28RLS equipped that way.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #5

Only option I would consider cutting is the tv. You can probably get a nicer tv for less money. Would need a mount as well though.... I wouldn't have ordered it in ours. Just headed to Best Buy and bought one. But then again we haven't even turned ours on yet so not sure we really even needed it! Lol

Good luck with the order!!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #6

We have the 15'version and got the Elite package, but kept it at 30 amp/15K AC. Worked great at Disney in mid June with 4 of us in there!! The dealer talked us into their TV by saying it would come hooked,up, run key and covered by warranty. We love ours so much!! But get ready to get some better bunk bed padding. My little one prefers the hide a bed for sleeping comfort. Hope this helps.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #7

I would weigh the warranty coverage vs the cost of the upgraded TV. Black friday is just around the corner!

On the AC ducting: My last unit had about 3 inches of foam insulation between the duct and a second unit that was easily removed to provide 2 units on the existing ducts. Not saying that this is your case, but it might be there if the front ducts run far enough forward and next to the vent that will house your 2nd AC unit.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

On our 2014 28BHBE, we bought it with "2nd AC Prep", so I can put whatever unit I want when I decide I need it. So far, we haven't NEEDED it, but there have been times when it would have been nice to have. We generally try not to camp quite so much during the hottest months of the year, so we just deal with it.

That being said, if I had it to do over again, I probably would have ordered a 2nd AC installed. We bought this unit from dealer stock, so it came how it is. I don't know what it would have cost to have the 2nd unit installed at the time of purchase, but at the very least, I could have financed the cost with the rig...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
On the AC ducting: My last unit had about 3 inches of foam insulation between the duct and a second unit that was easily removed to provide 2 units on the existing ducts. Not saying that this is your case, but it might be there if the front ducts run far enough forward and next to the vent that will house your 2nd AC unit.
On my trailer ('14 BHBE), the ducting runs right up next to the "prep" location in the front bedroom, so it would surprise me if the second unit couldn't be tied into the existing ducting.

Also, for whatever reason, the single AC unit pushes A LOT more air toward the rear of the trailer. With this floor plan, that's not the greatest. I would rather it push more air toward the front bedroom; I can use the "dumps" to get the other end of the trailer nice and cool, but the front bedroom only has the one ducted vent.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #10

I have a 2015 Eagle 284BHBE which I ordered from the factory. The biggest regret was listening to the salesperson and not ordering the 2nd AC for the bedroom. This June we were in Nashville and Pigeon Forge where the temps were in the high 90s. One day we hit 104 and the 15k unit struggled to keep the trailer in the 80s.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:48 PM   #11

jasoncw… Would you happen to have some inside photos of the A/C in the bedroom?

Thanks to all for the information on the ducting. While I know it may not be needed we like to sleep cold so for the long term having it as an option if needed would pay off to have it, especially if the main one went out. We will be camping in some Hot climates so it makes sense and I figure since I am going to order one I might as well add it in and get it at a reduced cost as part of the negotiated overall price.

Same with the TV, we don't use it much either but it is one of those "nice to haves" and having it already installed and wired up is worth it.

For those that have the 50 Amp service, have you used the dogbone to convert to a 30 Amp plug when needed? I know I can't run both A/C's that way but I think many of the Florida State Parks we have camped at only have 30 Amp, I really never paid much attention to how many had 50 Amp as we only had 30 Amp before.

Thanks...
Old 11-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
jasoncw… Would you happen to have some inside photos of the A/C in the bedroom?

Thanks to all for the information on the ducting. While I know it may not be needed we like to sleep cold so for the long term having it as an option if needed would pay off to have it, especially if the main one went out. We will be camping in some Hot climates so it makes sense and I figure since I am going to order one I might as well add it in and get it at a reduced cost as part of the negotiated overall price.

Same with the TV, we don't use it much either but it is one of those "nice to haves" and having it already installed and wired up is worth it.

For those that have the 50 Amp service, have you used the dogbone to convert to a 30 Amp plug when needed? I know I can't run both A/C's that way but I think many of the Florida State Parks we have camped at only have 30 Amp, I really never paid much attention to how many had 50 Amp as we only had 30 Amp before.

Thanks...
Like I said before, I have the "prep" package, without the 2nd AC installed. So my rig is wired with 50A service. I have used the 30A dogbone a couple times and not had a problem. From what I understand, if you have the 2nd unit installed and use the dogbone on a 30A pedestal, you can only run one A/C at a time, not both at the same time. And you might have trouble with the microwave if it's running while the AC is running as well, but I can't speak to that as I didn't have a problem.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 11-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice on the 28BHBE.

Placed our order yesterday for our new Camper with the following options...

To start I decided to go "Vintage" and go with the Aluminum Siding and the Sliding Windows. After receiving info from multiple sources including Jayco themselves I felt for the length of time we plan to keep the camper and the option to repair myself in the event of any issues I would take a shot with Aluminum, as for the windows we really like the ability to open the camper up to the outside with the sliders, something that the frameless windows would not offer. The ability to "open up" the camper was one thing from our Hybrid we were going to miss most.

15K A/C Upgrade to CVP
2nd A/C in Bedroom
50 Amp Service Upgrade
Elite Package - Deleted Kitchen Skylight
Thermal Package
Cargo Receiver Hitch
Hide-A-Bed
39" TV
Aluminum Rims - Have to decide which style to go with
Cashew Interior

Black Covers on the 2 A/C Units, Roof Fridge Vent and LP Bottles

Requested to Delete the "Swoosh" Graphics on the sides, front and rear, leaving the Jayco decals.

I also asked that the Bunk Storage Nets and the 2 Towel and TP hanger for the bathroom be shipped loose so I can install, in looking at many BHBE's online it seemed like depending on what day of the week it might have been depended on where these items were mounted and some of those areas were not where we would have wanted them. Hopefully this works out and they don't get in such a rush when building it they install them anyways.

We have an annual Camping trip the 2nd week of February so hoping to have it by then but with the Thanksgiving and Christmas shutdowns they have plus since apparently there is season called "Winter" in Indiana I am not certain if it will make it... but we are hoping so.

I wanted to add I was in communication with both the Jayco Southeast Regional Sales Mgr and the Jayco Product Mgr this past week about multiple questions I had about the Camper and they were both professional and helpful. It was nice that you can work directly with the Jayco factory in getting the info you need to make the decision that works for you. Does not mean the Camper will not have issues but at least I get to communicate with real people before and after my order.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #14

Good deal, hope you like it! I didn't even know you could be that specific about things to delete and what not. You chose options VERY similar to what I chose. I didn't get the 50 amp or 2nd AC option though. So far we haven't needed it as far north as we are. The upgraded 15K AC has been enough for us.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #15

We also didn't realize you can request so many customary changes. Did you confirm whether or not Jayco can do these, or are you in a hopeful stage? We also placed an order for a 28BHBE 2nd week of Oct but didn't realize all the options to choose from. We got the 15K AC unit, 30 amp, Elite, Thermal, Hide-a-bed, and 32" TV. If we knew the Cargo Hitch was an upon, we may have added that. We didn't add the 2nd AC unit or Fiberglass siding, due to the fact that we wanted to keep our weight down as we will be towing with a 1/2 ton. We are expecting delivery by 3rd week of Dec.
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #16

We have the 2015 32BHDS with all the options you ordered. Love the 2nd AC and 50-amp! Pick you up some small tabletop fans, an oscillating upright ceramic electric heater and a dehumidifier.

NOTE: We considered the 28BHBE but with three kids (including two teenaged girls) decided that having a separate bunkroom would facilitate more peaceful camping.

Best wishes!

-Dave
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFL19H View Post
Thanks to everyone for your input and advice on the 28BHBE.

Elite Package - Deleted Kitchen Skylight

Any particular reason for the shaded Skylight delete? That was one of the key highlights of the elite package IMO.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #18

Regardless, they let in heat, heat, and more heat in the summer, even with a shade. Plus just another hole in the roof to have to babysit.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #19

IceOnFire...

I got confirmation direct from Jayco I could delete the Skylight (Big Thanks to a tip from BigJohnD). I know others on the JOF have ordered with Graphics Delete which is basically what I am doing but keeping the Jayco emblems. Would save them time and money to not put the Graphics on it.

The Black Covers... Dealer said they should be factory installed, if not they will install them.

As for the shipping the other items loose the dealer (Orlando RV) did not think it was an issue, I guess I could ask the Jayco guys myself but the dealer is going to copy me on all correspondence with those guys so I can explain why if need be, once again saves them time ($).

Aluminum Rims... I have seen the Aluminum campers with both styles of the Rims, I don't want to assume I am getting one or the other so we are checking our options.

Jayco website has all the options available for the BHBE listed, for the TV the listed option was the 39" and the Cargo Hitch was listed.

Only options we did not get was the FG Sides, Power Stabilizers and the Bumper Grill.

dsmith3...

My son loved the bunk room in the BHDS but since he is the only one and I was already going longer than I ever wanted with the BHBE I could not justify it, plus the point of camping is to be outside , for multiple kids it's perfect. You also give up the large shower which was an option we wanted.

jloco...

Neither the DW or myself are fans of the skylights but the biggest factors are the heat it lets in, even with the shade and the damage the Florida Sun does to the cheap plastic they use as well as one less giant hole in the roof for future leaks.

I left the Shower one mainly for the headroom but will probably coat it with something to help protect it from the Sun damage. They yellow up and get brittle quickly down here.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #20

Ah, I see. Valid points on the skylight that I didn't even think of. Makes perfect sense, especially in the Florida sun.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote