Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

16 vs 15 inch wheels.

Hello all,
We are looking at new RVs and looks like we may be ordering an Eagle HT 274CKDS.
Regarding tire size, is their a disadvantage to the the optional 16" wheels?
I want to think bigger is better, but you never know for sure. Seems like I read somewhere about wheel well clearance issues, greater stress at shackle mounts because mounts had to be longer, etc...
But, don't remember if those were generalities or if that discussion was regarding a specific model.
Thanks
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
eow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
Hello all,
We are looking at new RVs and looks like we may be ordering an Eagle HT 274CKDS.
Regarding tire size, is their a disadvantage to the the optional 16" wheels?
I want to think bigger is better, but you never know for sure. Seems like I read somewhere about wheel well clearance issues, greater stress at shackle mounts because mounts had to be longer, etc...
But, don't remember if those were generalities or if that discussion was regarding a specific model.
Thanks
The 16" provide more load carrying capacity and if the leaf springs are mounted correctly in the lower mounting hole, the unit will be higher and have a chance of not riding nose high.

As for stress cracks at hangers, IMO that is most likely a weld quality issue since they are reported on various wheel configurations and on all brands.

My strategy has always been to maximize load capacity of my trailer tires and it has served me well over many years.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #3

16" will spin slower than 15's which is less heat buildup and longer bearing and grease life too.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #4

I would always opt for the 16" when available. Ours is an HT fiver, which was more important for a level ride with current pick-up truck bed heights. Just be sure the springs are mounted in the lower holes, as mentioned by EOW, to be sure you don't rub the underside of the wheel well when loaded or hitting rough bumps.
The 16" option also decreases the space between the wheels, which can impact your ability to use some of the locking chock stabilizers that go between the wheels. Ours still work, but it's a squeeze.
I think the 16" option is a definite plus!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #5

One concern with 16 inch tires is there is very little space between the tires to place a chock. Its about 1.5" inch spacing. I bought B&L X scissor wheel stabilizer, which is advertised to fit 1 3/8 ". It takes too much effort to get the chock into place. Other than that, I love my 16 inch tires
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #6

16" tires are easier to find.
15" tires are somewhat limited in weight carrying capacity. To get what in wanted and needed I had to go to16" tires on a previous tt. New wheels and tires did the trick.
Google "tire calculator", and compare.
Paul B
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote