Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #1

166FBS arm rest solution

Heres is Jaycos fix for couch arm rests coming loose. Its 'toe screwed to the couch base near front of couch.
Attached Thumbnails
20220611_193133.jpg  
Forester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #2

I am going to do that later today or tomorrow to see if it fixes my loose ones. Thanks for the post!
Old 02-14-2023, 03:56 PM   #3

I’m really struggling to understand the orientation of this pic. One of my armrests has pulled loose from the wall and I need to get it secured. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
edehn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:08 PM   #4

There are 2 points of attachment. One >s near the front of the armrest into the base of the couch. If you feel around in there you can probably feel a existing screw put in on angle that has pulled out. The second and most important is into the slide wall at the rear of the couch. This is thin material and the screws easily pull out. My solution was to cut a hole, dig out foam and put in a thicker plywood backer. Not easy, but worked. I believe Tom_AZ injected JB Weld into the existing holes then redrill and screw: a easier solution and I believe he has been happy with the results. This has been a fix on the bed side arm rest. On both in the front you can get access from the bottom and screw up into the rest. I removed the main couch to do these repairs.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:23 PM   #5

Specifically, what I did was to cut a small wood dowel to fit the depth of the hole. Then put the JBWeld (liquid epoxy, not standard JBWeld) into the hole (be careful on this part so you don't get it everywhere). Then put the dowel in and taped it there to dry. I let it sit for a full 24 hours then using the normal screws I screwed the armrest back on. So far this has held and worked great!

Special note as I was looking into other glues etc.. DO NOT use any instant/Crazy Glues as those will melt all of your foam insulation. A good epoxy is what should be used in this instance.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:26 PM   #6

A LOT easier than what I did. But don't forget to strenthen the front of the rest too.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the prompt response! I think I now have my brain around it. I’ll jump on it tomorrow and advise of the results!
edehn1 is offline   Reply With Quote