Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
DK1

171BH is in!

I just received a call from my salesperson! Last week when they checked on delivery from Jayco, my 171BH (built Oct 22nd) looked like it slipped into late December delivery. Well the darn thing just showed up at the dealership!

So we're tracking to do the PDI/walkthrough on Saturday morning! My wife is still incredulous about this whole thing and can't image this. We couldn't swing an RV when the kids were growing up so maybe now, they and the grandkids, and us can enjoy it!
DK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #2

PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
EJH

That's Awesome DK1.

My 166FBS (built Oct 4th) still has not showed up. I am further away in Oregon though.

We are most likely going to pick up a Highland Ridge Range Lite Air 16FBS instead (in stock and $4.5k less). It is essentially the same trailer without the longer Jayco warranty and Azdel.

Please reply with your PDI findings.
Old 11-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

Boy, wish I got a similar call. Ordered my Jeep Aug. 16 and still not finished. "scheduled for 11/24 build and early Dec. arrival".
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #5

Rad! Now comes the fun part….accessories! PDI checklist is king. I recommend that you let them know ahead of time and give them permission to just leave you with it until you are done and then have them come back to give you the “how these work” walkthrough (which is what dealers call PDI). Don’t forget a large piece of cardboard so you can scoot under the RV easy. I brought and used all these things

Phillips screwdriver
Cordless with bits
Flashlight
Plug checker
USB cord to check usb
Torque wrench and socket set
2 large crescent wrenches
Cardboard
Lunch/snacks
Chair for my wife

Stuff on my 171bh that was poorly done

GoPower Controller not connected to Panel
Max Fan trim falling out of ceiling
2 of the window valances coming off of wall
Bits of wall trim not stapled where ever it was hard to reach (back of bunks, between shower and sink cabinet, above shower and sink cabinet)
I tightened nearly every screw on the entire TT including bunk supports, outside trim, door (yes, the door) etc.
Under the dinette seats cabinets backers were just badly done
Holes in the underbelly where foam did not fill all the way
Brake wire covers were not on the wires

All the appliances and mechanics worked! Yay!!

All in all, all the stuff I listed was taken care of (some by me and some by dealer) and we are happy, if you are on the forum you know that you are going to find stuff. If you want my list of gadgets I bought from Amazon just message me and I can send them to you. EJH knows what I am talking about, it’s like a mile long…I might have over did it, lol. BUT, it’s all certified to fit in a 171BH!

For parking, get a lock, rest of your goodies can come later, but if you don’t have a trailer to put them in….

AMPLOCK U-TLS2516I RV Trailer... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HFGE4S...p_mob_ap_share
Old 11-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
DK1

Not looking great ...

I called the salesperson to check and things aren't going well. The tongue jack is working intermediately working and they don't know why. The microwave door won't latch. For the latter they want to try to order a part to fix the brand new microwave...

So they are recommending I still come to do my own review tomorrow (Saturday morning) to see what I find and add to the list of stuff they find... They suggested I 'do the all paperwork' and leave the unit with them to pick up later if things are fixed... And with the Holiday's coming up, well that could be after Thanksgiving.

Ummm... I wasn't rude or obnoxious but I plainly said that I would not be signing paperwork and paying for a unit that I wasn't hauling home and wouldn't be hauling it home unless it was 100%. The salesperson said they understood, so I guess we'll see. Thanks for all the suggestions and checklist items, tools, etc.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #7
EJH

Sounds like they are at least checking out the unit on their end. I agree, don't sign papers until you are ready to drive it home.

There was another thread here on the tongue jack. I believe it was a bad ground. The owner had to open it up and reattach a wire to the frame, IIRC. Here is that thread:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...sue-90971.html

I wonder if they can swap the microwave with another trailer they have on site that is not sold?

I think doing your own PDI while waiting for the other two items to be resolved makes a lot of sense. Use the checklist here. I have downloaded it. Be aware it lacks any items related to solar. Make sure you add checking the solar charge controller to your checklist.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
DK1

Correct (again!)

Yep, the tongue jack was a ground issue. Not water or corrosion, just paint preventing a good ground. The dealer removed the jack, chased the bolt threads (or maybe it was mounting threaded holes), scuffed the paint where the jack and frame meet, and re-installed. It works fine.

The microwave door was an over application of latch grease when the microwave was made. It was basically (as I understand it)... the cinch clasp when closed had a huge glob of latch grease in it and in the cold weather, it kind of solidified. They warmed the rig up, which warmed the microwave, and that allowed the excess grease to ooze out from the clasp. That was cleaned and apparently it works just fine. The rig sat out in IN for ? 3+ weeks and up in Greencastle, PA has seen frost for the past week or so...

So I'm gathering my tools, the checklist(s) I have and other stuff I printed off here. I'll do the trek tomorrow morning. The salesperson will walk me through the through orientation (he said 45-90 mins depending on my questions) and they'll leave me alone to kick the tires and do my own inspection. Then I'll finish up the paperwork (assuming it all looks good to go!) as they install the tongue jack on my TV. So if all goes well. I should arrive home in the early afternoon with a new 171BH!

So thanks again for all the advice! I really appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #9
DK1

OK a few things 'wrong' but otherwise OK

I picked up the 171BH on Saturday and it was pretty darn cold. The dealership did a pretty good job of PDI and the walk through was very thorough. I did my own walk thru after the salesperson left and didn't find any additional things. BUT when I got home, I guess no BIG surprise I found a few things.

1. One of the cabinet doors was hanging from 1 or 2 hinges. I found one 1/2" hinge screw and one ?1 1/4 " screw on the floor... The vertical stile the hinge attaches to looks stripped out, I just don't know what to make of that. Either way, I'm an amateur wood worker so not really a big deal.

2. The plywood one one of the dinette's base is split where a screw was mis-aligned. So rather than the screw going directly into the side (and middle) of the plywood, the screw was angled up at an angle and its tip is protruding out of the plywood. Again, not a big deal.

3. One of the things I didn't check was the "J-port".... The *&&^^ arm that holds the table does not slide into the J-port. It goes in about 1/2" but that's it. I put some white grease on the arm and with a block of wood and carpenter's hammer, tapped it in about an inch, but then stopped. I had to smack it back out. The square channel is simply too small for the 'arm'... I have a sledge hammer so I'm sure I could FORCE it into the port, but then I'd have to sledge hammer it back out... So this one is a lot tougher to solve.

I'll have to take precise measurements along the length of the channel. I have depth micrometers and anvil micrometers, but I don't have inside micrometers.... I and probably cut a block of hardwood and use feeler gauges to see if there is just a portion of the J-port that is constricted or if the entire square tube is just too small. We're talking maybe needing 1/32 to 1/16" additional, so there's no practical way to make the mating arm that much smaller...

The windows, now that I'm home seem more 'sticky' to slide open and close. Maybe it's my imagination, but perhaps there's some kind of track grease that should/can be used...

Anyway, that's all I see so far!
Old 11-24-2021, 07:29 AM   #10
DK1

Everyone LOVES it! (OK maybe not the wife...)

Ops, I forgot to say that the entire family just loves the 171. I didn't tell my adult children that I was even THINKING of buying a travel trailer. My wife was watching the 2 grandkids (4 & 8) on Saturday when I went to pick the unit up. When I arrived home, it was an epic celebration and the grandkids just went nuts. The 8 year old climbed into the upper bunk and claimed it as his. The 4 year old did the same for the lower bunk. They played in the trailer for HOURS until my daughter and son in law came for dinner and pick the kids up. My daughter and SIL were very excited too. We all had dinner at the house and the grandkids just didn't want to leave!

On Tuesday my daughter and family from NC arrived at our house. They are staying at the in-laws nearby and will be here through Thanksgiving. Well the same reception. They loved it. My other 2 grandsons, 10 and 12 LOVED the travel trailer and spent several hours in it!

Then my other son, who lives nearby came over with his wife and we have yet another grand celebration. So far everyone just loves the TT. Now my wife, well she's a bit reserved and cautious, as I am. This all very new to us and we've adopted a 'well let's wait and see how this all works out' attitude.

So anyway, epic news for the family. So far a home run.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK1 View Post
Ops, I forgot to say that the entire family just loves the 171. I didn't tell my adult children that I was even THINKING of buying a travel trailer. My wife was watching the 2 grandkids (4 & 8) on Saturday when I went to pick the unit up. When I arrived home, it was an epic celebration and the grandkids just went nuts. The 8 year old climbed into the upper bunk and claimed it as his. The 4 year old did the same for the lower bunk. They played in the trailer for HOURS until my daughter and son in law came for dinner and pick the kids up. My daughter and SIL were very excited too. We all had dinner at the house and the grandkids just didn't want to leave!

On Tuesday my daughter and family from NC arrived at our house. They are staying at the in-laws nearby and will be here through Thanksgiving. Well the same reception. They loved it. My other 2 grandsons, 10 and 12 LOVED the travel trailer and spent several hours in it!

Then my other son, who lives nearby came over with his wife and we have yet another grand celebration. So far everyone just loves the TT. Now my wife, well she's a bit reserved and cautious, as I am. This all very new to us and we've adopted a 'well let's wait and see how this all works out' attitude.

So anyway, epic news for the family. So far a home run.
That about sums it up! You just wrote the advertisement for the entire RV industry. Glad to hear you had minimal issues!
Old 11-24-2021, 08:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK1 View Post
I picked up the 171BH on Saturday and it was pretty darn cold. The dealership did a pretty good job of PDI and the walk through was very thorough. I did my own walk thru after the salesperson left and didn't find any additional things. BUT when I got home, I guess no BIG surprise I found a few things.

1. One of the cabinet doors was hanging from 1 or 2 hinges. I found one 1/2" hinge screw and one ?1 1/4 " screw on the floor... The vertical stile the hinge attaches to looks stripped out, I just don't know what to make of that. Either way, I'm an amateur wood worker so not really a big deal.

2. The plywood one one of the dinette's base is split where a screw was mis-aligned. So rather than the screw going directly into the side (and middle) of the plywood, the screw was angled up at an angle and its tip is protruding out of the plywood. Again, not a big deal.

3. One of the things I didn't check was the "J-port".... The *&&^^ arm that holds the table does not slide into the J-port. It goes in about 1/2" but that's it. I put some white grease on the arm and with a block of wood and carpenter's hammer, tapped it in about an inch, but then stopped. I had to smack it back out. The square channel is simply too small for the 'arm'... I have a sledge hammer so I'm sure I could FORCE it into the port, but then I'd have to sledge hammer it back out... So this one is a lot tougher to solve.

I'll have to take precise measurements along the length of the channel. I have depth micrometers and anvil micrometers, but I don't have inside micrometers.... I and probably cut a block of hardwood and use feeler gauges to see if there is just a portion of the J-port that is constricted or if the entire square tube is just too small. We're talking maybe needing 1/32 to 1/16" additional, so there's no practical way to make the mating arm that much smaller...

The windows, now that I'm home seem more 'sticky' to slide open and close. Maybe it's my imagination, but perhaps there's some kind of track grease that should/can be used...

Anyway, that's all I see so far!
I never checked my Jport either....now, will be first thing I do in the spring.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:38 PM   #13

Is your solar working okay? There have been a lot of misses by Jayco under the solar port on the roof. If all seems well, maybe just keep an eye out. I emailed you a note as well, ready to send you my 171bh certified list of goodnes
Old 12-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLo View Post
I never checked my Jport either....now, will be first thing I do in the spring.
I did check the J-port, fits good. BUT, still waiting on the Blackstone griddle since mid July.
I am receiving a few emails back from Fleming Sales who appears to be handling this Blackstone fiasco. First email it would be shipped 1st October. Second email it would be shipped late November. Third email it would be shipped late December or maybe early January. Of course, they are blaming the delays on Covid. How original.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #15

Exclamation Jayco Feather Micro 171BH

Hi,
i am planning to buy my first TT, Feather Micro 171BH very soon. I just wanted to ask your oppinions about 171BH before i buy. Would you suggest me to buy?

I'm living in San Diego, CA and i want to travel around 8.000 miles from West Coast to East Coast round trip. I will be traveling with my wife and 6 y.o. daughter. Do you think is there any disadvantage or downside of this model? or your complain/dislike?

Thank you in advance for your precious comments.

Ken E.
Oceanboy is offline   Reply With Quote