Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #1

174BH no front jacks

I've done a search on here and there are a few posts about the 174BH not having front jacks. For all of you that have this model, what are you using for the front to stabilize it? I don't want to add weight or something permanent, I just want an appropriate jack to keep from the slight sway when inside.

Also, we moved to a home that has a 4.5 degree slope downwards. We are having trouble raising the tongue (we have one of those tongue stands that looks like a traffic cone), high enough to keep the trailer level. This is where front jacks would be beneficial. If I do get some, what would you recommend?

Thanks!
kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Team

One fix might be to add a pair of front crank-down jacks similar to what you have on the back. Take a peek at the frame where the rears bolt on, and see if the frame's the same up front. Take a measurement from the front frame to the ground when it's level in your driveway, and see if a standard 24" jack will work, or if you'll want a pair of 30" ones. Another way would be to get a pair of screw jacks, and put some cribbing under them, to get the height you need. Those are generally shorter than scissor jacks, so may not be a good fit for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #3

I have the same model but the baja version which has front jacks. The issue was that they ran front to back and provided almost no stabilization. I turned them side ways and now they are great. I say all that to say the same ones that are on the back can be used. I had to weld a tab on the front of the frame to make it work. I ended up having to put step stabilizers and a BAL one wheel chock. Almost eliminated all rocking.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #4

https://norcoind.com/bal/products/co...eleveler.shtml
https://www.amazon.ca/28020-Single-A...dp/B001UGPEJA/
https://www.amazon.ca/BAL-23222-22-J...dp/B002P2YTIA/

This is what I outfitted my 174BH with. I also got the foot pads for the front stabilizers, though plastic/wood foot pads work as well and give you more surface area in softer ground.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #5

We just shaped some legs that butt against the tow frame on both sides right under the front of the trailer and angle toward the ground. The ground end is mitered too.

They cannot spread apart as a ratchet strap runs through an eye bolt on each leg. Place legs and tighten the ratchet.

Cost was about three bucks for the strap. We had the two by four scrap lumber and eye bolts from other projects.

Can literally dance on the bed above. Rock solid

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote