Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2021, 10:35 PM   #1

174BH - Roof A/C or over bed?

Hey all,
Looking at two 174BH’s. The has the ac in the middle, and one has it over the bed.

Any thoughts on which is better? Assuming one in middle might cool trailer quicker, but will I lose much headspace walking?

What are peoples opinion that have either?

Thanks!
Irishcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #2

Side mount AC for us

We have a side mounted AC and for us it was the best option. Due to the small size of the trailer the wall mounted AC is sufficient to cool the unit down. The added benefits of the wall mounted AC is that you don't loose headroom as you mentioned. You are also able to run the AC unit off a regular wall plug. No need for a 30 or 50 amp plug to run the smaller AC. ALso one less hole in the roof!

BTW we are in NE Ohio/Western PA so our cooling needs are vastly different from our southern neighbors. Our camping spot also only offers household current so 30/50 amp plug-ins is not an option for us.
Youngstown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:28 PM   #3

I'd go with the AC unit in the middle. I think it would cool the whole camper more evenly. If you ever need the AC at night it might be a little cool with the unit over the bed.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #4

We have the same trailer with the wall mount AC and wouldn't have it any other way. More than enough cooling capacity for this size trailer. Keeps overall trailer height down so we can store it in our shed with a 10' door rather than having it sit outside in a snowbank. And our Honda 2000i generator will start and run it with no problem whatsoever.
garyg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #5

I had both AC units and prefer...

I owned a 154BH with the standard side mounted AC and now own a 174BH with the optional 13500 roof mounted AC. Air conditioning is probably a lot more important living in the south (TN) as I do. On that note there is no question the roof mounted unit is much more effective in cooling the camper down and keeping it there. There is some headroom sacrifice but at 6' tall it doesn't seem to bother me. You gain another interior storage cabinet where the side mounted AC goes but lose a roof vent where the 13500 goes. You can also run the 13500 AC with 20 amp supply. Lastly the side mounted AC condensation drainage was simply down the side of the camper leaving a persistent water stain.
selectgear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #6

Side mount all the way, 100%. The best option. It cools the trailer very well.

Once you hit a tree with the top mount, you'll wish you didn't have it.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #7

Side mount will be much quieter than roof mount in our experience. If you like a cool bed for sleeping, side mount over the bed will do that. However, with you having a BH the side mount may not cool the bunks sufficiently.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote