Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 07:22 PM   #1

174bh versus 264bh—help choosing

We are looking for our first TT. We previously had a (used) Jayco Pop-up, but that’s a different story. Our Tow Vehicle is a 2017 Titan S Crew Cab with tow capacity of 9400 lbs and payload of ~1600 lbs. We have previous towing experience with a 20-ft cuddly cabin boat.
I am not opposed to a good used TT, but I am not finding many good picks. Our baseline wants are: 1) no slideouts, and 2) bunkhouse [family of 4, kids 7 and 9]. We are weekenders with one <10 day trip in the summer.
Our local Jayco dealer seems good (no pressure). Their prices are competitive.
The price difference in the 174bh and 264bh is only $2500. That’s a lot more trailer for $2500. The 224bh is more expensive than the 264bh. I am not sure I want the extra weight and length. My DW likes the 264bh better with the extra room.
Suggestions?
GeoCamper73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Mama happy your happy
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 PM   #3

I can't speak for the two models you are entertaining in this thread. I do, however, want to offer a third choice that I stumbled upon when I had similar baselines coming from a pop-up camper as well.

You did mention you might consider a used TT. If used, we just picked up a 2016 new off the lot in February as a leftover unit and got the 2 year Jayco warranty. It is a model X254. They only made them in '15 and '16 (the '16 sits 2" taller and had more ground clearance and weight). It does, however, have a king bed slideout (an item you were avoiding) off the back that extends 5' 3" (making it about 32' from the slideout end to the end of the tongue but still only 8' wide). It has a quad bunk at the front of the trailer. The beds support 300# each and the king bed supports 1,200# pounds when extended (200# when in travel position over the U-shaped dinette). We moved up to that from a pop-up last year. We have three kids ages 3, and soon to be 8 and 9.

We found some of these used for about $15,000-16,000. Then we found the new one and bought it without seeing it (not usually recommended) but it worked out for us. I tow with a 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4. It has a 9,000# tow capacity and around 1,350# payload.

Hopefully, you'll get more info from other forum members on the models you referenced.

Jerry

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #4

If you can swing it, the 26 footer sure would be nice. We have the 26BH and are very happy with it. For us, it's a couple's trailer (with two cats). Like you, we wanted a trailer with no slide-outs.

We come from a background of vacationing in a 30 foot trailer, 27 foot trailer, 31 foot sailboat, and now a 28 foot sailboat, so we have a good understanding of how much room we like in order to be comfortable.

We find the 26BH just fine for trips of a weekend, two weeks, and four weeks when we want to get away from the Michigan winter (we take our trailer down to Alabama in the fall, so it's waiting for us there in the winter).

After about a week of being on a vacation with the trailer, we'll ask each other, 'why on earth do we live in that big house when we do so well in this thing?'.

Obviously, the 26 requires a tow vehicle with more payload and towing ability than a 17 footer. We find our 2017 Ford F-150 V6 Ecoboost with 10 speed transmission and 3.55 rear axle gearing handles it very nicely.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 AM   #5

I am far from being experienced, I've only been on two trips. However, our first RV was a 16' Forest River wolf pup and after one trip found it to be way too small for us, two grandkids, and a dog or two, especially if the weather keeps you indoors. That one trip was all it took to upgrade to a 25BH. I know it has a bump out so you wouldn't want it, but I think you will be a bit cramped in a 17 footer.
Tim15856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #6

I own a 2017 174bh and my only real complaint would be the tank sizes for all three ( fresh,grey, and black) great for weekend trips!! Longer trips can be tricky without full hook ups
Bentbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:57 AM   #7

We were in the same boat. We needed no slide outs, double bunks, and a walk around queen (nobody likes to sleep with their face in a wall).

My husband and I were debating between the 264BH and a Rockwood MiniLite 2508, both 2018 models. Both had no slide, set of double bunks, couch, and full queen sized bed. Rockwood had a pull down Murphy bed which I really loved because choosing whether to use the either the bed or couch was a much better use of space. Tons of room when the bed was flipped up to use the couch.

Ultimately in the end we ended up buying a 2019 224BH. It felt much roomier without the couch and ponywall in the way and better options than the 224bh 2018 such as the added outdoor kitchen and one piece molded countertop in the kitchen
A_Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:58 AM   #8

Take the whole family and spend at least 30 minutes in each camper.
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

We looked at both of those models and chose the 26bh. I'm glad we did.
There are four of us, and during a thunderstorm, it feels cramped, but doable.
We can sit kits at either the sofa or the dinette.
The storage is the biggest plus over the smaller unit.
We are able to store dry goods and other sealed foods in bins under the sofa. There is ample room for crock pot and blender under the booth dinette, as well as room for sufficient kitchen tools.
We are able to bring plenty of clothing for everyone without it being in the way.
We are comfortable in it when getting ready for our day and when winding down for bed.
We do not spend much time during the day inside it. One of us might bring little one in mid-day for a nap.
We are outside or away from the campsite otherwise.
I'm glad we bought it.

(Our children are 8 and 3.)

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
264BH definitely............So make the wife happy and the whole family is happy.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #11

If possible I would make two trips to the dealer and review both trailers, i would recommend it. One trip with the kids and one without the kids.

With the kids you can see how much room you have with everyone running around. during the next trip when you have piece and quite and can talk, review where will you put all your "Stuff".

I like to ditch the salesperson for 30 minutes or more. At this time, open every cabinet, cubby, think about where ALL your stuff is going to go. Where do you put your cooking items, dishes, clothes, food, games, nick knacks, everything. is there enough room?
are the kids cloths and stuff, going to be stored in their bunk, or in a cabinet. Can you use the TT, if you pull in to camp late, or if it is storming outside, without having to rearrange.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #12

Decision Made

Well, we made our decision last Saturday and today we took delivery of our new 264bh (2018 model). When we went in last Saturday, we had crossed out the 174bh, but we were still deciding between the 224bh and the 264bh. The dealer told us they would be the same price (previously the 224bh was $1k higher). I really wanted the 224bh, mostly for the shorter towing length. My wife really wanted the couch on the 264bh. The wife won.
Ours has the 15,000 btu a/c option, the enclosed underbelly option, the bedspread option, and the TV option. The price quoted did not include the TV, but the salesperson said he was throwing it in “free”.
Today, we did the dealer walkthrough then I did my inspection. I checked a lot of stuff (separate post). My wife said the manager was impressed by my inspection. The dealer walkthrough did not include the water being turned on. The only problem we had was that when they connected to city water (at my request), the toilet started leaking. There were actually two things wrong with the toilet. The tech though he fixed it, but it leaked when he turned on the water again. He finally got it fixed. The dealer charged us an hour’s labor to install a Husky Centerline TS WDH (customer supplied). I’m glad i did not have to self-install, but I wish it was included in the price.
A few mods are coming. The first will be a camco swing-away door handle—the supplied door handle is kinda pitiful. Next weekend will be our first camping trip.
GeoCamper73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #13

GeoCamper, congratulations!!
We have a similar trailer, the 26bh.

We had to get warranty work done on our toilet also. Our dealer told us that Jayco agreed to send out a replacement toilet before he even finished telling them the problem, so I'm guessing this is a common issue in the 2018 models.

We have also been doing little mods with ours. Looking forward to our next trip. It's a nice little camper.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALCOFLLANMTXsm.jpg
Octopus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #14

My family of four is very happy with the 174BH. We have done weekend trips as well as 10 day long range road trips. Our goal is to spend time outside, so having a smaller unit isn't a problem for us.
dcpaschal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
174bh, 264bh, newby