Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #1

184bs electrical upgrade and battery relocation

I have a 2021 184BS. I have 4x100 watt solar panels from Renogy (installed but not wired), along with a MPPT charge controller, 3000 watt renogy inverter charger, lynx distributor system and a lifepo4.

I am planning on relocating the battery and installing the inverter under the bunkbed near the existing wf-8735 power center. Is there a diagram for how the wf-8735 is wired. I will be disconnecting the converter from the integrated power center. My plan here is to move the shore power from the power center to the inverter.

Is their a way to get a detailed electrical diagram? There is a busbar at the front of the trailer next to battery outside. How can I find out what each connection is? I am a little surprised to see the busbar due to my inexperience. I would have expected one larger cable from the batter to the power center and then fused connections from the power center to all devices. Does this mean that there are 12 volt devices that are powered without a connection protected by a fuse? The only other thought was that this is a way to save cost by using smaller gauge wires from the battery to the power center. I am trying to understand how the busbar is used so I can see how to rewire or move the power from the front to the new battery location.

I'll take any advice I can get.
scallawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #2

WFCO should have info online or call them. Dealer should have access to trailer details.
GEPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #3

Contact Jayco with your vin number and ask for the 12V drawings. If the camper is under warranty still, they may resist.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #4

Jayco provided a wiring diagram via an email with serial number of RV.
I have a 195RB with Queen bed up front. I drilled through the floor and pulled the battery cables through and connected my Renogy 100 amp and Mppt Via those wires. I left my factory box connected and it will give me over 70% charge when I don't have enough sun for my 200 watt panel and then the MPPT will boost it up to 100% over time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:45 PM   #5

They resisted and responded saying they couldn't give advice on modifications. I was actually asking how much amperage was passing through the busbar in the front but I didn't push them on it since I already had enough information to get what I wanted accomplished. It would be nice to get a 12 volt schematic though so I may ask for that.

I traced the wires and found that there is only one wire that actually connects to the battery. The rest of the wires go to the 7 pin connector or connect to other wires in a small junction box.

It is an 8 gauge wire. I think my overall distance is roughly 14ft. I went with a 4 gauge wire to be conservative.
scallawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:12 PM   #6

I know this thread has been up a while but I wanted to know how your install went and if you had any pointers. I just purchased a 2023 184BS and I’m looking to do the same set up.
Brogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:10 AM   #7

Greyhawk 29MV - upgrade power 30Amp to 50?

meant to start a new thread. (removed)
Old 04-11-2023, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprnova74 View Post
Just curious if anyone has upgraded their power capacity from 30 amp to 50 and how arduous it was if so?
I think it would be easier to isolate one a/c unit and run a separate cord for it over to the pedestal. Trying to go to 50 you will have to figure out how to work around the transfer switch for the generator along with everything else.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:01 AM   #9

Add all the load up and see if you are way over 30 amps load. It may be something as simple as a bad or poorly made main breaker. Also, check that the screws are tight and clean on the breaker and that the wiring does not heat up. As in a poor connection in the main plug or anywhere along the line. Watch what happens when things like the AC kick on with a voltmeter. If there is a very large drop you may have a problem in the AC start and need a soft start.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 11:39 AM   #10

I’m planning to do the same thing. Searching for tips on multiple sites.
Offgrid4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery relocation, inverter