Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2020, 01:02 AM   #1

185RB--Why is My Breakaway Cable Attached to the Safety Chain?

On my used 2015 Jay Flight SLX 185RB, the breakaway cable is attached to one of the links on one of the safety chains. It appears to be professionally installed that way: It's attached with a professionally crimped aluminum ferrule. I was under the impression that the breakaway cable is supposed to be separate and attached to a hard point on the TV by itself so that if all of the hitch components separate, the breakaway cable will get pulled on in order to activate the trailer brakes.

In my current configuration, the length of the breakaway cable is longer than the length of safety chain to which it's attached, so if the safety chain gets stretched by a separation incident, it won't pull the breakaway cable. And, if the safety chain comes off for some crazy reason, it won't pull the breakaway cable. In other words, the breakaway cable seems pretty useless right now.

Do others owners with Jay Flight SLX trailers also have their breakaway cables in this configuration from the factory?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #2

Nope!
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #3

Mine attaches separately to the hitch.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #4

Nope.. Sounds like the owner had to buy a new cable ( we did as ours rusted and we found on a routine walk around) and bought one too long.

Professionally installed may not mean the same as thought this one through.

Cables are cheap.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #5

You are thinking along the correct track. The breakaway cable end should be attached to a solid part of your vehicle hitch where it would be the last thing to become detached if your ball separated and your safety chains fail. Change that set-up: just be sure your breakaway cable is longer than your safety chains so even a tight turn cannot activate the brakes. You really don't want the emergency braking until the trailer is completely detached from the tow vehicle, including the safety chains. There have been numerous cases where the application of the brakes before the safety chains take the load caused the chains/hooks themselves to fail from the shock of the sudden braking.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

Good! Thanks for the inputs. Glad to hear this is a fluke, so I'll be routing it properly.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
There have been numerous cases where the application of the brakes before the safety chains take the load caused the chains/hooks themselves to fail from the shock of the sudden braking.
Interesting thought. I had heard elsewhere that the breakaway cable should be just slightly shorter than the safety chains so that if the hitch comes loose, the brakes will activate and bring the trailer to a controllable stop without the chains slacking & letting the trailer run into the back of the truck.

I like your idea, too. Those safety chain holes in the hitch aren't necessarily the most stout connections and I can see some portion of the safety chain system failing from the instant shock of braked 3,500 pounds.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #8

Mine is routed through several links on one of the safety chains to keep from dragging and attached to the hitch with separate c clamp. Breakaway cable is longer than chain so I assume cable would be the last to disconnect. If this is not acceptable please let me know. Thankyou.
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #9
Site Team

The breakaway cable should be longer than the safety chains. according to RVIA. (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association).

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:40 PM   #10

I prefer having the breakaway cable to a part of the truck not the hitch. That's impossible with my F150 so it's attached to the hitch separate from the chains.

The dealer attached it to the chains when we did our inspection. I changed it right away.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #11
Site Team

I also replaced the cable with one of those spiral Fastway breakaways. The carabiner clips to our truck hitch. I was getting pricked by the cable when it started to fray a bit.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
Mine is routed through several links on one of the safety chains to keep from dragging and attached to the hitch with separate c clamp. Breakaway cable is longer than chain so I assume cable would be the last to disconnect. If this is not acceptable please let me know. Thankyou.
I suppose it all depends on if the cable would move freely through the links under the tension/pressure/chaos of a disconnect scenario.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #13

I was searching on different ways people attach the cable and ran across this video.

mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #14

Good video. Breakaway cable should be shorter than chains. The overhand knot is a great idea.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #15

I was taught to never attached the break away to the hitch or any part of the receiver. If there is a catastrophic failure of the receiver - everything will be attached to trailer and nothing to the truck including the break away cable. I have seen people add an enclosed eye hook as one of the screws that hold on
the license plate.
Macaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #16

I did mine the same way as Jayflight. I wanted the coil cable just in case I hit a branch or strong twig in a campground.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote