Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

195RB Siding Split

Hello everyone,

We have a 2019 195RB Baja trailer we bought new, and now that the warranty has run out a structural problem is rearing its ugly head. See the attached photos. (Note that there is duct tape residue in the pictures.)

The siding on the driver's side front is pulling back from the front cowling. This has been getting worse for a long time. The dealer put some more screws in the siding bottom a few months ago which was a temporary semi-fix, but now it's opened up to a good quarter inch.

I have put some long screws through the front bead, shown in one of the pictures, to try to pull the front cowling and the siding together, but it did nothing.

Does anyone recognize this problem? Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks for any help,
Gerrit
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0180.jpg   IMG_0181.jpg   IMG_0182.jpg   IMG_0183.jpg  
GerritB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #2

If you have a wood frame, which I think it is, you probably have had water intrusion. If the wood is soft the only way to repair it is too replace the framing.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:28 PM   #3

@Grumpy -- I think a little water has gotten in, but not much, I hope not enough to soften the wood. It's been mostly duct taped.

Can anyone give me an idea of the framing in this trailer, so I can figure out how to pull things together?
Old 04-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #4

The water intrusion concern isn't from where the area is exposed (although that could be a concern) it would likely be from higher up somewhere. You do need to look it over very carefully and inspect the wood where the corner comes together and determine if it is strong enough still to hold the corner together or if it has to be replaced. Years back I had an RV with a corner damage that was similar (but for a different reason) and was able to find 1" RV corner molding to replace the smaller 1/2" (not sure of the sizes exactly but it was larger and allowed me to screw into the wood a little further back than the original molding).
Old 04-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #5

As craigav said, not water from after it opened, but water intrusion is what allowed the screws to pull out. If the wood was solid replacing the screws would pull it back together.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritB View Post
snip...... Can anyone give me an idea of the framing in this trailer, so I can figure out how to pull things together?
Contact Jayco Customer Support (have VIN handy) and request the front cap and wall framing diagrams...., they will forward them to you.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #7

Thanks for the help, folks. I'll look for a water leak somewhere else that might have led to this -- that's a good idea. I'll check with Jayco on the framing diagrams too. I didn't think those would be available.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #8

Check this video out, it will give you an idea of what you need to do if the wood is still good. If the wood is not good under the trim and only right there in the corner (not the wall), then you may be able to replace\repair the corner wood area (marine wood filler or similar) without disassembling the walls. You also need to find where the water came in, the man in the video says one place water intrusion can come from is under the molding. ~CA

Old 04-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #9

@craigav -- Wow, that's a great repair method! I think I will need to do that, probably on all my corners, once I get the structure pulled back together. I've sent a request to Jayco for the frame diagrams.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #10

Dang GerritB, your trailer is falling apart exactly where mine is, on both sides in the front. I've been putting off doing anything about, but plan to tear into it (literally) sometime this summer. I'll be following what you do so I'll know how to proceed myself.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #11

Well, misery loves company, @SmokerBill. I'll keep this post updated as I work through the problem and I hope it helps.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritB View Post
@Grumpy -- I think a little water has gotten in, but not much, I hope not enough to soften the wood. It's been mostly duct taped.

Can anyone give me an idea of the framing in this trailer, so I can figure out how to pull things together?
Looks to me that there is a LOT of water that got in. I suspect that the whole corner is rotten.

Iv'e had this on old trailers as well. But, before it was noticeable outside, the INSIDE showed a problem. Look under the bed as well as behind the water tank and also the front storage compartment. Do you see inside water damage anywhere the side meets the front cap?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #13

Thanks, @gypsmjim. There is a panel inside this gap which sometimes (not always) buckles a bit, looks like it might be water swelling. I'll take a closer look this weekend, especially around the water tank (which is also right there).
Old 05-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #14

Update: Jayco got back to me and sent all the framing diagrams for the front and side of the trailer. Nice! I've asked them if I can post them here but haven't gotten a reply yet. I will try again.

I hope to get out to the trailer tomorrow and see if the framing diagrams will help me pull my siding back into place.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #15

Update #2: Jayco recommends that you contact them at service@jayco.com to get prints for your trailer. They are VIN specific, so likely to change. They were quick and helpful for me.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #16

I wonder if Jayco will authorize a repair on your 2019 since its structural in nature. I have a 2018 25FK with fiberglass sides that was cut too short at the factory, causing separation at the corner screw cap. They covered 100% of the cost of the repair last month by the dealer.
shacker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #17

Very interesting, @shacker8! I'm just out of warranty and thought I was therefore stuck, but it's worthwhile checking. I'll do that.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #18

On my 2010 19H I found that the front clearance light needed to be resealed, I used flexseal and solved the problem. just say'in Larry
Old 05-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #19

I like Shacker8’s suggestion as well. Definitely ask them! What I wanted to point out is the fact Jayco usually has 2years warranty and you mentioned the dealer had used screws months ago to help this problem. So just because your warranty has now run out, the fact they made some attempt to work on this, their work should continue to deal with it because the problem began before this. I also agree you likely have a leak coming from somewhere else which caused this. It could be anywhere, not necessarily right above. But you don’t have to admit that to Jayco when you are only assuming. Allow them to come to their own decision. This could still be a structural issue. Good luck.
BrendaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:32 PM   #20

Thanks for the great advice, @BrendaD. I've sent a letter and photos to Jayco and will report back here what I find.