Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2022, 07:18 PM   #1

195RB undercarriage inspection?

Hey y'all,

I have a 2019 195RB Baja and I'd like to inspect the undercarriage (like the frame, plumbing, wiring, etc.). There is a 1/4" corrugated plastic membrane covering all this though. It is held in place by dozens of screws and several plates, including the stabilizers. I would have to remove the stabilizers and a whole bunch of screws to remove the membrane, and replace them all when I'm done.

Another option would be to cut through the membrane where necessary and tape it back up when I'm done. That sounds awfully crappy though, and prone to leaks and vermin ingress unless there's something better than duct tape I can use.

Is there a recommended way to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gerrit
GerritB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritB View Post
Another option would be to cut through the membrane where necessary and tape it back up when I'm done. That sounds awfully crappy though, and prone to leaks and vermin ingress unless there's something better than duct tape I can use.
That's what a dealer would do. Cut it with the hinge forward and then use Gorilla Tape or this.

https://www.amazon.com/Underbelly-Tr...95735263&psc=1
Old 07-04-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Any manufactured home dealer will have what's called "bottom board", which is the woven material used to patch rips, holes and cuts in the underside of RV's and MH's. You can get the peel and stick type or the type you have to use a spray adhesive on. If the second, you have to spray the area which needs patched and the patch, wait about 20 seconds then press it on. If I were using the peel and stick stuff, I'd spray the area to be patched with a spray adhesive ( Sta-Put brand is the best I've used) let it dry, then apply the patch, for a repair that's not likely to come loose down the road.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:23 PM   #4

Not sure what you are going to inspect. My 17 195RB has exposed black and gray tanks and related plumbing. That is worth inspecting as tank straps are notoriously poorly screwed onto the frame.

On mine, I know that some pipes run under the floor but unless they leak I won't worry about them.

The brakes are in the hubs and suspension is in sight so I will call it all good until it leaks or breaks.

I did go into cabinets and stuffed all holes with aluminum screen wire and foam or caulk to keep it in place and mouse proof as many places as I can. i did the same under the bottom with screen wire crumpled up and foamed in place. ( Mice can chew through foamed holes but not the aluminum screen wire I used or brass or stainless scrubbies some use.)
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the great tips. Looks like I can cut 'n' paste if I do it right.

A friend just found cracks in his trailer frame, after 13k miles of gentle road use. Different make of trailer, but we've been lugging ours up potholed logging roads so I'd like to check. Also anything else under there, like tank attachment, plumbing, etc. We've had such workmanship problems with our trailer that I'm half expecting some kind of nasty surprise under there.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:54 PM   #6

Putting that stuff back together with tape didn't work so well when I installed solar. I ended up having to drill a bunch of small holes and using small zipties to put my flap back, then tape over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerritB View Post
Hey y'all,

I have a 2019 195RB Baja and I'd like to inspect the undercarriage (like the frame, plumbing, wiring, etc.). There is a 1/4" corrugated plastic membrane covering all this though. It is held in place by dozens of screws and several plates, including the stabilizers. I would have to remove the stabilizers and a whole bunch of screws to remove the membrane, and replace them all when I'm done.

Is there a recommended way to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gerrit
mrSethTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrSethTaylor View Post
Putting that stuff back together with tape didn't work so well when I installed solar. I ended up having to drill a bunch of small holes and using small zipties to put my flap back, then tape over that.
Hmm, yeah, now that I think about it there's nothing to press the tape against.
The membrane is loose except for around the periphery where it's fastened to the chassis. Seems like you wouldn't get the best adhesion that way.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:10 PM   #8

I pre cut "inspection ports" in mine on 3 sides and like Grumpy said I left the hinge side to the front. I used Gorilla Tape and nothing has moved even slightly.

I cut my access panels to make it easier for roadside repairs if needed. I didn't want to be hacking away at the underbelly away from home.

The zip tie idea sounds interesting. If or should I say when I need to open one of my hatches, I may add a couple of zip ties and then tape...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote