Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #1

196RB roof storage

How can I mount some sort of storage box on the roof of my 2020 195RB? We are planning a long journey and want to be able to take more things with us. I am great at DIY but not sure how to fasten something on the roof securely.
marathonalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

marathonalan,

Welcome to JOF

I personally haven't seen it done on TT's, possibly because of the roof design & structure. Solar panels are common (light weight, low profile) and ideally one wants to lagged them down to the wood truss framing when possible.

Also, if you're still under warranty I would hold off on any roof modifications.

Maybe another JOF member will chime in with some thoughts.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #3

I would (and did lol) Mount a folding rack on the rear of the camper before I would put anything on the roof. Think leaks and wind resistance ( as if wind resistance isn’t already bad enough). How much weight were you thinking of putting up there? Do not mount anything to just the rear bumper without serious reinforcements. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #4

I did not see a 196RB, in Jayco's line up. I suspect you have a 195RB?? Edit: I see you had both model numbers in your post. So I bet it is the 195RB!

It has a 810 pound CCC, which includes propane, batteries, water, and all your stuff. If you purchased a Thule roof top box (35 lbs), plus a bunch of aluminum standoffs, mounted to the trusses. Your added weight with a ladder will be around 100 pounds. Now add your stuff, and you'll have another 100 pounds. The TT roof can hold 200+ pound person, so the roof is an option, just secure it to the trusses, and make sure to do a good job sealing the penetration points. Inspect the roof every 6 months or more frequently.

Personally, I think I would consider a few other options first;

What items were you thinking of putting up on the roof?

What do you have for a TV?

Couple options, have a weld receiver hitch added to the back of the TT, and use an Aluminum cargo tray. Need to be careful with this option, as you can lower your tongue weight which can cause sway issues. You still have an 810 pound CCC, you eliminate the ladder, and a lot of required framing, and potential water leak points. I suspect your overall weight will be lighter than the roof option.

Could you put a roof rack on top of your TV? lower height, easier to access, could install two Thule like roof boxes. Possibly no ladder required.

Jayco 195RB specs
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...t-slx-7/195rb/

28 pound AL cargo carrier - could be used with the TT or the TV when needed, and not always used.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thule roof box 34 lbs
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/5488...od07_Cat&SS3=B

Let us know what you decide to do. Especially if you go roof mounted, like to see how you mount it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #5

X2 on the folding rack on the back. Find a welder to put on a good hitch and you can buy rack the flips up when not in use. Much easier access to things especially if you get a fully sealed box(s) to store stuff in. Lots of posts on people who have done that to similar sized Jaycos in the search bar above.
here is one
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...orm-78671.html
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

IF you have the right frame distance and have the bumper far enough away from the back of the camper, Lippert, I believe sells a complete folding rack that bolts on to the end of the frame on each side. A little pricey, but a possible solution. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #7

I am surprised. We have been from Maine to Alaska twice in the 195 and one thing it has is plenty of storage. Because it is limited in cargo capacity ( our year was 525 lbs) we never carried much in it We did carry 18 foot kayaks on the roof of the tow vehicle . This really minimized the effect on gas mileage as the stuff on top of the tow vehicle was lower than the top of the trailer. We got 12 miles oer gallon westbound and 15 mpg eastbound

Another reason not to overload the 195 is the single axle is rated to 3500 lbs I believe. We did bend ours on Alaska roads( a thousand miles on dirt roads). This makes tire wear an issue. Any extra weight is going to affect that. Perhaps you will be on silky smooth roads( probably not) We were very aware of bouncing forces that too much weight would exacerbate. ( yet we did bend the axle!)

We never have been able to fill the basement even when packing for a two week canoe trip ( so there are tents and camp food and stoves and sleeping bags etc down there)

I'm not telling you to do what we do but first to try to pack what you think you need before investing in a carrier and please not on the roof of the trailer.

We are going West in January. Wish it were to Barrie and north. We have missed our summers canoeing in Ontario ( specifically Thunder Bay and north). But no its to Death Valley.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #8

Looking at how flimsy these things are built, its a miracle they don't fall apart on the highway all by themselves. Not a good idea to add more parts and more weight.

Put a cap on your truck and fill the bed up.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #9

Yes it is a 195RB
TV is 2014 Ram 1500 diesel 4x4, 5'7" box
Currently carrying a 21 gallon sewage tote, hoses, elbows, and a flimsy little 1 pound table. The whole thing probably only weighs 60 lbs, rack and all. It is mounted to a clamp-on-to-bumper 2" hitch receiver. The spare tire is beside it. I feel that is enough weight mounted to that flimsy tin bumper tube.
In the truck box I carry a portable BBQ, cooler, 2 big comfy lawn chairs, folding table, 10'x10' canopy.
I could put a box on the truck roof, but I need to weigh everything first.
Waiting for spring.
Thanks for all your comments.
marathonalan is offline   Reply With Quote