Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

1994 Jayco Eagle 220BH

I'm looking at getting into my first camper with the family. While I was looking for a bunkhouse in the ~5 year old range($10-$15k), I stumbled across a mint 1994 Eagle 220BH. I'm wondering if anyone has info on this model as I can't find much online. From a features perspective (sleeps 3-4, fridge, A/C, oven, stove, microwave, bath) its all we're looking for.

Some of the standard questions I have:
Can I still get parts for it if necessary?
Am I insane to even consider a 25 year old camper?
Are there specific things I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Mark
elihusmails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elihusmails View Post
I'm looking at getting into my first camper with the family. While I was looking for a bunkhouse in the ~5 year old range($10-$15k), I stumbled across a mint 1994 Eagle 220BH. I'm wondering if anyone has info on this model as I can't find much online. From a features perspective (sleeps 3-4, fridge, A/C, oven, stove, microwave, bath) its all we're looking for.

Some of the standard questions I have:
Can I still get parts for it if necessary?
Am I insane to even consider a 25 year old camper?
Are there specific things I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Mark
I would not do it. Unless they re giving it to you, it is not worth the risk. RVs are not built to reasonably last 25 years. It could be in great shape and last another 5 years with good service, but replacing brakes, tires, the fridge, probably no AC, and many other infrastructure items will run a lot of dollars. Find a 5 to 10 year old TT, one owner if you can, and you should be able to stay well below 10 grand.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

I would look it over thoroughly. Check for leaks, check the axels, plug it in if you can to make sure everything works. Do your due diligence. I hope you found a gem that fits you and your family
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #4

i'm going to stand by my first post. The real question is how you intend to use it. Family outings at nearby state parks vs that dream vacation to Yellowstone and beyond. 2nd is price. I don't care how it looks or for that matter if all the stuff works [make sure it does]. Why spend say $5k for a 94 over $7500 on a TT that is only 6 years old? As I said before, the hidden cost are is with the infrastructure and mechanicals. A gas/electric will run $1000 to
Old 04-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
i'm going to stand by my first post. The real question is how you intend to use it. Family outings at nearby state parks vs that dream vacation to Yellowstone and beyond. 2nd is price. I don't care how it looks or for that matter if all the stuff works [make sure it does]. Why spend say $5k for a 94 over $7500 on a TT that is only 6 years old? As I said before, the hidden cost are is with the infrastructure and mechanicals. A gas/electric will run $1000 to
or higher. Furnace and A/c are also a pricey fix. To a lesser cost are the range, microwave, and water pump. If original on a 94 unit, they may be working but just one burp before they are toast. Old stuff will let you and your family down when you are camping at the lake and no A/C and its 90 outside or the fridge stops keeping your food cold. Actually I like 5 year old stuff because if it was a faulty unit it likely would have already died and been replaced.

Spend a few extra $$$'s and save those early camping memories.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

Thanks for the insight. I am going to pass on this and keep looking. I figured for $2500 it was worth investigating.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

It look like Jayco still has some parts available for this but very limited. Most parts you can find an aftermarket replacement for them too. If you are seriously considering this unit look over all seals and look for signs of leaks inside the campers. If it has leaked then it will not be worth getting. Also look at roof to see if it is in good shape.
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #8

1994 Jayco Eagle 220BH

I can appreciate the former responses to your question.
However, at $2500 if it’s in good shape, checks out well and “things” work and are functioning right, I personally would go for it.
If you’re handy at all, you could if needed make repairs yourself. There is a ton of knowledge to be gained from this forum for repairs as well as YouTube.
But each person has to be comfortable with their own decisions. This is just my 2 cents worth.
Happy Trails and let us know how and what you do. [emoji41]
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #9

i bought a 1978 motor home 15 yrs ago for $5000. i still use it today. everything still works including all the appliances. seem like it will last a while more. best rv investment i ever made. when it gets ready to die i will just take it to a junkyard. its like part of our family and we will miss it.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1152 View Post
i bought a 1978 motor home 15 yrs ago for $5000. i still use it today. everything still works including all the appliances. seem like it will last a while more. best rv investment i ever made. when it gets ready to die i will just take it to a junkyard. its like part of our family and we will miss it.
Good for you and BroR, it worked for you. Reality and experience tell me there are hidden chuck holes in a purchase of a 25 year old TT. Buy it cheap [very cheap] and set aside a chunk of change for repairs and replacements and you have a good chance of having a good experience. If you are handy and OK with things breaking when you would prefer just relaxing with your family, then go for it. When it comes to RV's, their have been a lot of new technology added in the last 25 years. Just like a decades old car or boat, older RV's can work out but not without some TLC and hiccups.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

Handyman Special

Some folks would never buy a fixer-upper home or a camper. They only want new or near new. I have the camper fixer upper bug and intend to have great fun doing it. I currently have two I'm refurbishing. Of course, I do have a home remodeling background from my father's company. I've also been doing my own brakes and bearings for years. It all depends on the TT's bones and your comfort level. Kind of like the weekly White Collar workers that only tow on weekends vs. the construction worker who tows things all the time...comfort level.. lol Shout out to "uptight tow folks"...lol
TheGreatMossySearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroRobin View Post
I can appreciate the former responses to your question.
However, at $2500 if it’s in good shape, checks out well and “things” work and are functioning right, I personally would go for it.
If you’re handy at all, you could if needed make repairs yourself. There is a ton of knowledge to be gained from this forum for repairs as well as YouTube.
But each person has to be comfortable with their own decisions. This is just my 2 cents worth.
Happy Trails and let us know how and what you do. [emoji41]
I passed on the deal. Just wasn't ready to devote the time/resources to a fixer-upper.