Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

1998 Jayco 304BH

Looking to buy a used 1998 Jayco 304BH. Has anyone experienced any problems with this model? Also, what should I be concerned about in an older trailer. It is in excellent condition.
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Site Team

No experience with that particular model, but an older unit of any brand, or style, I'd inspect the roof for soft spots (rot), any sign of water leakage, or an attempt to disguise it, the fridge would be the most expensive appliance to have to replace. Then the age of the tires. Is the awning showing signs of deterioration? Do all the electrical devices still work well (like the A/C, furnace, lights, etc.) Many things to inspect closely, so you're not buying a money pit. Good luck.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #3

Good advice, Thank you
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

We purchased our 2008 last year and I looked it over as best I could with not much RV experience. We have been lucky as the previous owners took very good care of it. If I ever purchase another used unit I think I would pay an RV tech to go with me.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #5

Just sold my 99 304bh. Never had one issue. Well built trailer.. like previous response. Inspect the roof.
groundhog72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
I purchased a used Eagle about 5 years ago ..... from a dealer in Ohio, sight unseen. I had them send a tech on the roof and look far any soft spots, and inspect and replace the caulking, which they did .... it was a good used solid trailer. Thats how the Eagles were back than ..... solid as Sears, well, thats not a good statement anymore! Solider than Sears! So, get a ladder, get on the roof .... look at the caulking between rubber roof and aluminum front and back panels.... when it gets old, it cracks, opening gaps for water to get into. check around vents, tv antenna and especially around a/c.. Remember, it is old, it's not the Magnum Truss Roof System, but it should be solid. Next, check storage areas, which are usually up against a front wall or rear wall, where, if there is a water leak, the water will end up there..... under the linolium. When that happens, the linolium will usually change color, so look for discolored linolium. If you see any changes ( because, yes, there could have been something spilled at one time), pound it with your fist .... u'll know if the wood is soft. Again, do the same inside the trailer.... look for stains, not only on the floor, but the ceiling too. Water leaks are the number one reason "not" to purchased a used trailer. Appliances etc, even a old looking awning, can be replaced. If they tell you it's been stored indoors, the biggest giveaway of that is the condition of the decals ..... more than likely the Jayco on the front window cover is faded, as they all do, but a well maintained Eagle will still proudly show it's stripes down the sides (lol). Here's my own personal opinion, a well maintained late 80's Eagle, is probably better than some newer trailers u see in the campground, just not as fancy.... the wood they used for cabinets back than was outstanding, they were just well built trailers. I have an original brochure if you need to know weights, water capacities etc ....
Good Luck