Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

19RD Jay Flight versus 198RD Jay Flight Swift

In comparing these models they seem identical with the exception of the 98 gallon fresh water tank on the 19RD versus 48 gallons for the 198RD. Having said that there is about a $3,000 ~ $4,000 difference in the base price.

What are the major difference between the two that would account for the difference in price?
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #2

Go to the Jayco Site and look at the standar features to see Difference

I just had a quick look. The Compare feature on the Jayco site, yes, only shows the water tank (That 90 gallon tanks is a great asset on the trailer) as the only difference. But if you look at the standard features on both models you'll see quite a few extras that the Jay Flight has that the Swift doesn't.

Some I noticed were

-Bathroom Fan
-30 lb tanks (swift has 20lb)
-Sink cover
-Spare tire carrier
-Tub skylight ( great for us 6ft'ers)
-Exterior speakers
-Outside shower (great for kids and Dogs) also good for when your boondocking and don't want to fill up you grey)

The best thing for you to do is look at both in person. You will see why the Jay Flight is 3-4K more than the Swift. IMO if your looking at the 19rd, you may as well look at the 22fb as well. The price is only about $1000. and you get a whole lot more trailer. You'll need something with at least 6000lbs towing capacity to pull any of these trailers (more is always better as you'll find out on this board when it comes to Tow vehicles)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUg View Post
I just had a quick look. The Compare feature on the Jayco site, yes, only shows the water tank (That 90 gallon tanks is a great asset on the trailer) as the only difference. But if you look at the standard features on both models you'll see quite a few extras that the Jay Flight has that the Swift doesn't.

Some I noticed were

-Bathroom Fan
-30 lb tanks (swift has 20lb)
-Sink cover
-Spare tire carrier
-Tub skylight ( great for us 6ft'ers)
-Exterior speakers
-Outside shower (great for kids and Dogs) also good for when your boondocking and don't want to fill up you grey)

The best thing for you to do is look at both in person. You will see why the Jay Flight is 3-4K more than the Swift. IMO if your looking at the 19rd, you may as well look at the 22fb as well. The price is only about $1000. and you get a whole lot more trailer. You'll need something with at least 6000lbs towing capacity to pull any of these trailers (more is always better as you'll find out on this board when it comes to Tow vehicles)
Thanks MisterUg.

I wasn't sure if the difference in price had something to do with the basic construction of the TT or added options. The options you listed are things we would want so we would probably go with the 19RD.

Regarding the 22FB, we like this TT also BUT my wife loves the rear dinette and sofa arrangement of the 19RD/198RD with surrounding windows. We're going to check them all out before we settle on what to purchase.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

The Bed is the biggest advantage bewteen 19rd and 22fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Thanks MisterUg.

I wasn't sure if the difference in price had something to do with the basic construction of the TT or added options. The options you listed are things we would want so we would probably go with the 19RD.

Regarding the 22FB, we like this TT also BUT my wife loves the rear dinette and sofa arrangement of the 19RD/198RD with surrounding windows. We're going to check them all out before we settle on what to purchase.
We really liked the 19rd as well when we were looking as well. But a walk around queen bed is the one thing I really wanted. Even it is a little difficult to make in our 22fb, but it is a whole lot easier than the Bed on the 19rd. We call that a climb over bed, while fun for a little bit but when you gotta take the middle of the night bathroom trip, well you know what I mean ;-)

As for the window, it is one of the niceist featues on the 19. But it will depend on the campground as to what kind of view you'll have out of it. Some Campsites that are open on the back will be great views, while other times you'll be looking at trees, better view sometimes is on the side of TT.

Will this be your first TT??
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #5

You really need to shop dealers. I drove almost 1000 miles to get my Jayco 19RD. I got it loaded with all the options including a ladder. I don't think there was an option I didn't get on my 19RD and for under $15K. If they won't deal go some place else. I live in WY and bought my 19RD in Ellensburg, WA on the internet.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyotraveler View Post
You really need to shop dealers. I drove almost 1000 miles to get my Jayco 19RD. I got it loaded with all the options including a ladder. I don't think there was an option I didn't get on my 19RD and for under $15K. If they won't deal go some place else. I live in WY and bought my 19RD in Ellensburg, WA on the internet.
Thanks for the feedback...

One of my concerns has been making the purchase at a local dealer. While all Jayco dealers are obligated to do warranty work, given some of the comments by others on the forum, unless you can realize a significant savings (which ultimately should include any added cost of traveling to and from a distant dealer) it is best to stay as local as possible when buying.