Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #21

Our vote for first mod is to upgrade the toilet. We absolutely despised the plasticky (is that a word?) squeaky and difficult to clean basic model that came with our travel trailer and then our motor home. Hubby replaced it with a ceramic bowl model with enameled slow close wood seat/lid. Best mod ever! 😄
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 AM   #22

I wouldn't do anything to it before our first run. I'd use it a few times and get to know the RV before changing it.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #23
Site Team

x1
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #24

Replace the analog thermostat with a digital one. It's one of the easiest mods out there, and it makes life so much more comfortable.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #25

Rear view camera
abrahamseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:47 PM   #26

First Mod

Added a second battery in my fiver,and tire and wheel covers when parked for awhile!
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #27

Another vote for electric tongue jack (it was my first mod) then a hardwired EMS.... You would not believe how many CGs have electrical problems.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakara View Post
I'd say it depends. I'm 42 and don't feel the need to spend money on something that it really not that much effort. My dad has been pushing me to use a drill for the stabilizers - I'm resisting because the provided tool is really easy and it means I carry less stuff. On the electric tongue jack - well, other than sometimes me or my DW getting confused on which way to turn it for up and down - it just isn't that hard.

As a boondocker most of the time, you can see my mods in my sig. I also replaced the kitchen sink faucet because the factory one was horrible. I put in switches to turn off "hard" the radio and propane detectors. (left the CO and smokes as always on!)

So, as I said, it depends

-Chak
The drill adapter is cheap and speeds the process AND you need an 18v drill for a dozen reasons. The electric tongue jack is a god send for those of us with arthritic shoulders. The manual jacks are geared where they take a hundred spins of the crank to move just a few inches. They do that so you don't have to be a weight lifter to do the deed.

Replacing the oem stink fan is a must. The easiest way to cool the TT without AC is to turn the fantastic fan on exhaust and open windows in the area you want to vent.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #29

How to say which,
Tongue Jack, would not travel without it, DW could not get off the ball without it if I have an emergency.
Battery isolation switch. Not to have one is to dead the brand new battery before you know it.
Jack adapter for my drill. Love the time it saves. hated to sweat through a few hundred turns.
All my lights inside are LED so that was not needed.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #30

OG here, so the tongue jack and drill for the stabilizers are not luxury items.

We spent some time in the trailer when we first got it, both camping and in the driveway, and the thing that stood out most as bothersome was the awning lights. So I did that first - much better now. Something that also bothers us is the curtains and blinds - they're all some shade of "suicide brown" (someone on this site said they make the interior of the camper cheerful in an assisted-living facility way) and we'll address that in the Spring. We haven't encountered a bad outlet or power surge yet but the peace of mind the surge protector gives is well worth the cost. We put covers on both the bathroom vent and Fantastic Vent so we can open them in the rain, and also to keep snow off the vent lids.

Being inexperienced we weren't sure what modifications would be worthwhile so we didn't do anything until we used the trailer a few times. Gradually we'll get it the way we want it.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #31

EMS surge protector first and foremost, and also check your air conditioner bolts. Digital thermostat and vent covers next. Also a mattress topper.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #32

Check out everything under the trailer. Look for hanging wire harnesses/Propane lines(I'll post pics in Mod section later). Tidy up the underside. Then an Electric tongue jack. I did find loose AC bolts also.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote