Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalukows View Post
Hello folks. We recently acquired a 2007 Jay Flight 20BH. Pretty happy with this and looking forward to our first trip soon. Anyway, my "newbie" question would be do I need to:
1. Cover the batteries during long storage?
2. Should I keep it inside a box/enclosure?
3. Should I put it on battery tender during long storage?
If your not using your batteries for extended periods of time, you should keep a battery tender on it, or disconnect them and keep out of elements. Batteries should be stored in a protective case or properly secured with a battery strap- as in my 5th wheel. Because of the cold climate in Canada, I disconnect mine and bring it into my storage room in my basement. BUT....DO NOT place a battery on the concrete floor> I store mine in a cool place and on a wood bench away from concrete and well off the floor. I trickle charge it every 3-4 months! Hope that helps. Batteries are very expensive so keep up the charge on them and keep from freezing, they will last a long time!
kdduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #22

Battery Madness

Quote:
Hello folks. We recently acquired a 2007 Jay Flight 20BH. Pretty happy with this and looking forward to our first trip soon. Anyway, my "newbie" question would be do I need to:
I have a Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 with 6 battle born house batteries https://battlebornbatteries.com/applications/rv/ (yes, over kill)

Roof mounted Solar panels and Victron controller, inverter and monitor https://www.victronenergy.com/
seems to work pretty dang Spiffy.
JayThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdduke View Post
If your not using your batteries for extended periods of time, you should keep a battery tender on it, or disconnect them and keep out of elements. Batteries should be stored in a protective case or properly secured with a battery strap- as in my 5th wheel. Because of the cold climate in Canada, I disconnect mine and bring it into my storage room in my basement. BUT....DO NOT place a battery on the concrete floor> I store mine in a cool place and on a wood bench away from concrete and well off the floor. I trickle charge it every 3-4 months! Hope that helps. Batteries are very expensive so keep up the charge on them and keep from freezing, they will last a long time!

The battery on concrete issue is not really applicable to the current generation of batteries.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/ge...tored-concrete
Old 03-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #24

I always practise good maintenance and have never placed mine on concrete. Batteries have lasted min. 7 years and as much as 10 years - on my last batteries! Will keep practising proven methods!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #25

I have a 2019 jay flight 28rls. After one season and winter storage is there any lubrication or other maintaince that should be done. (Axle, wheels etc)
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #26

maintenance

If you are planning on towing any real distance a good practice is to at a MINIMUM check the grease in all the wheel bearing and that they are adjusted properly. with the wheel/tire slightly off the ground you should not be able to wiggle it side to side or top and bottom. any movement means the bearings are getting loose and require adjustment.Grease any shackles or suspension parts that have fitting for grease. Check you tire pressures EVERY time before you tow it somewhere.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Most if not all TT have propane and smoke detectors that run off the batteries. In about 30 days, they will run the battery system down considerably. So, if you can plug your TT in while in storage/non-use, that is the thing to do. If not, disconnect the batteries (may have a master control switch) until you use it again. Also, put a charger on it before you depart so they are up to full charge.
Pinnacle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:39 PM   #28

Great advice guys! I always left mine plugged every year. This season, I decided to remove both batteries. Mostly due to our very cold climate in Alberta, Canada. Just a reminder that your smoke and CO2 detectors are to be replaced after a certain period of time? 7years? My friends was well past that time- closer to 12 years and was beeping like an alarm going off. Best to replace them for your protection.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:25 PM   #29

Good solid battery box, been using it for a little over eight years.
After install, create a small steel cable with loops on it to padlock the lid on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #30

Quote:
I take my batteries (two 12 volt deep cycle in parallel) out for storage and put them on a battery tender. I have boat batteries and trailer batteries on a bench top charging and maintenance station. Same batteries for years. Cheers and have fun.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote