Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
jsallman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Ames
Posts: 280
I just went to take a look at RVDirect.com, seems to be run by RVone. When we purchased our unit, we got a better deal at another dealer in the state than we had at an RVOne dealer, they even had the chance to match. You might also look and see if there are any chain dealers in the area your going to move to as well that would match, just a thought.

As for the 32BHDS, we looked at that model, and know a few with it. We ended up going with a different model but I can say we have been very happy with the Jayflight line.

Make sure you understand the payload (not towing) capacity on your TV and that you are within your comfort level, that trailer is probably going to be exceeding the payload on any half ton and might even be pushing some 3/4 tons with Diesels if they are crewcabs. Our trailer (29BHDS) is a little shorter than the 32BHDS and the tongue can exceed 1250lbs if its towed with water in it pretty easily. There are plenty of articles on this site about payload, but its better to know ahead of time, too many people seem to be mislead at the towing capacities and actual weights of the tongue (including myself).

Good luck with the decision, I think your going to like the trailer!
__________________

__________________
2016 Jayflight 29BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab - 6.4 Hemi
2013 Ford F150 Supercrew EcoBoost, MaxTow (Loved and Sold)

Equal-i-zer Weight distribution system
jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Swinepartner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zebulon
Posts: 169
RVDirect was def cheaper than my local dealer by a few thousand. But I would have had to drive from NC to Tampa and back. Plus, it didn't include the hitch price or set up. With it being my first trailer, and my dealer s only 45 min awa, I paid for the piece of mind. Now, since I have some trips under my belt and feel more familiar and comfortable about towing, I wouldn't hesitate from buying from them. From what I have read, it is a good deal.
__________________

__________________
Kevin "Corndog" Cameron
2016 Ram 2500 CTD TRADESMAN
2015 Jayflight 28BHBE
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Overgaard
Posts: 44
HI All,
Just to let you know we too saved a bundle (9K) buy getting out TT from a dealership out of Mich. Here in the southwest the dealerships are rare to take off the transportation or destination fee. We made a vacation out of it and even with hotel cost of he way up and then the cost to stay at the campgrounds we saved he 9K. It is worth it to make the trip and pay a lower price. We looked at the BHDS but because we aren't going to be traveling a lot with youngsters we went with the 27DSRL. Love it.
__________________
J&E
Jayco 2015 27DSRL Summit/Glacier
Toyota Tundra 2014 5.7L W/Tow Package
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Wills Point
Posts: 2
Thank you!

Thank you all for he great information! I feel better about considering RV Direct. We are taking the advice to visit the big Jayco dealer in Texas this weekend, before we decide where to buy from. I'll let you know!

And thank you all for the TV info. We are waiting to purchase it until we decide for sure on TT. Great info to remember when purchasing!


Sidrobin
Sidrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Houston
Posts: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidrobin View Post
Thank you all for he great information! I feel better about considering RV Direct. We are taking the advice to visit the big Jayco dealer in Texas this weekend, before we decide where to buy from. I'll let you know!

And thank you all for the TV info. We are waiting to purchase it until we decide for sure on TT. Great info to remember when purchasing!


Sidrobin
I live in Houston and the local dealers could not come close to the Middlebury pricing and no sales tax. No haggling, factory tour, no sales tax, and a great price thousands less than I was quoted at the BIG dealers!

I pick up my 2016 Eagle 330RSDS in 8 weeks. I saved $1500 including the cost to fetch it myself.
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidrobin View Post
Thank you all for he great information! I feel better about considering RV Direct. We are taking the advice to visit the big Jayco dealer in Texas this weekend, before we decide where to buy from. I'll let you know!

And thank you all for the TV info. We are waiting to purchase it until we decide for sure on TT. Great info to remember when purchasing!


Sidrobin
Go a little further south to Shertz and visit Crestview RV Super Store there. It's part of the same group of dealerships as the one in Buda (Georgetown, Buda and Shertz). I went the store in Buda, and the salesman kept trying to push a custom build on us. I told him what we wanted, he said he didn't have it on the lot and that we could order it. As soon as we started looking at ordering a trailer, it seemed that all price negotiation stopped immediately. He basically gave us a menu with a price. I didn't get a really good feeling there.

I went down to Shertz and looked at a couple trailers on the lot that were VERY close to what we were looking for. No pressure sales, and they leave all their units unlocked so you can look at whatever you want with or without a sales person. Steve Spearing is the GM over there, and I worked mostly directly with him and negotiated most of the deal over email. We ended up getting almost the perfect trailer right off his lot (only wish I had opted for 2nd AC) for what I would consider a decent price. Yeah, I paid a bit more than you would at some of the online stores, but I have a relationship with that dealership now; the GM knows who I am, and the service department has always been very responsive. That relationship and peace of mind is worth a lot to me.

I will echo the advice about being careful about your tow vehicle capacities though. Both Steve and our PDI tech assured me I had plenty of truck. I didn't know then NEARLY what I know now about those items, so I took them at their word. I learned very quickly that I didn't have enough truck for my trailer and comfort level. Technically I was within spec, but it wasn't comfortable for me, and my family started growing pretty much right after we bought that trailer (which was the whole reason we bought the trailer in the first place really). But then I ended up trading my truck in on the truck I wished I had bought in the first place, so it worked out, even if it did cost me some $$.

Good luck!
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: South Texas
Posts: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I live in Houston and the local dealers could not come close to the Middlebury pricing and no sales tax. No haggling, factory tour, no sales tax, and a great price thousands less than I was quoted at the BIG dealers!

I pick up my 2016 Eagle 330RSDS in 8 weeks. I saved $1500 including the cost to fetch it myself.
Will you not have to pay the sales tax when you register it in TX? Sure, you won't have to pay it at the time of purchase, but the county tax office will give you a nice bill when you go to register it.
__________________


2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Will you not have to pay the sales tax when you register it in TX? Sure, you won't have to pay it at the time of purchase, but the county tax office will give you a nice bill when you go to register it.
That's certainly how it works in California. I have seen this mentioned a couple times recently, not sure if some states let you slide on sales tax, but mine will extract every last cent possible.

As for RV direct being a good price...I have reason to believe they use a bit of a dynamic pricing model. The further away you are the lower the price. I got a quote from them with pick up at the Des Moines location, at my request a friend in Denver requested the exact same quote and it was higher. Further, circumstantial evidence, I have read folks locally going to the dealership in Des Moines, which isn't actually called RV Direct, I guess that is the online branding, and getting quotes much higher than those given to online out of state buyers. Who knows if I am right or if this was a one time anomaly. However it reasons to me that a business would conduct lower margin transactions for out of market buyers who order then come pick it up almost immediately vs in market buyer who expects inventory and service.
__________________
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidrobin View Post
Thank you all for he great information! I feel better about considering RV Direct. We are taking the advice to visit the big Jayco dealer in Texas this weekend, before we decide where to buy from. I'll let you know!



And thank you all for the TV info. We are waiting to purchase it until we decide for sure on TT. Great info to remember when purchasing!





Sidrobin

My sister in law bought her camper from RV Direct. They dealer they picked up from threw in some extras at pickup as well. She had one minor issue and her local dealer in Richmond VA took care of her even though they couldn't come close to RV Direct's price.

My thinking is this. All dealers pay the same price for the trailers they sell. I'm not paying extra to pad a dealers pocket. Maybe I'm wrong. I drove two hours and saved a few thousand dollars for a camper with more options...
__________________
2017 JayFlight 28BHBE
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH (Sold)
2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic Crew Cab LBZ Duramax / 6spd Allison
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 386
I requested the quote from RV Direct. There is not place to share your address - how would they know your location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
That's certainly how it works in California. I have seen this mentioned a couple times recently, not sure if some states let you slide on sales tax, but mine will extract every last cent possible.

As for RV direct being a good price...I have reason to believe they use a bit of a dynamic pricing model. The further away you are the lower the price. I got a quote from them with pick up at the Des Moines location, at my request a friend in Denver requested the exact same quote and it was higher. Further, circumstantial evidence, I have read folks locally going to the dealership in Des Moines, which isn't actually called RV Direct, I guess that is the online branding, and getting quotes much higher than those given to online out of state buyers. Who knows if I am right or if this was a one time anomaly. However it reasons to me that a business would conduct lower margin transactions for out of market buyers who order then come pick it up almost immediately vs in market buyer who expects inventory and service.
__________________

bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.