Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #1

1st time RV purchase question

Hi all! We are purchasing a 2016 Jay Flight 32BHDS in the next 2 months. We are moving from TX to TN and plan on living in it full time for at least a year and travel full time in the summers. My question: Have any of you purchased from rvdirect before? The prices are unbeatable, from what I have found, even with the drive to pick it up! But, as a newbie, I wanted to hear from others about purchasing there. Also, how do you like the 32 BHDS?

Thanks!
Sidrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #2

I don't have experience buying from RV direct but I would be concerned about warranty issues. Where do you go if you have a problem?? If you go this route prepare yourself to do a thorough Pre-delivery inspection and make sure you go over everything before you leave.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

Costco has an RV purchase program. Their pricing could be a good place to start for a new RV.

It's a good time of year to purchase. Also, you might talk to Crestview RV in Buda (South of Austin) I believe they are the highest volume Jayco dealer in the state.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #4

I obtained quotes from RV Direct and The RV Express, and I took to my local dealer. They got very close to matching the price, so I went with them. You could try the same. I'm not sure buying local or through a wholesaler will make much of a difference as far as warranty work goes, since you are moving out of state after the purchase.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #5

I saved $3000 just in freight from RV Connection. We were heading to ILLinois anyway. They have a large facility in Middlebury, In. Price was much better than we could get here in Phoenix.

Way I look at it, for $3000 I can do a lot of warranty work. But I've no issues in the almost year we have had the TT.

Know that these are not designed for full time living. Mattress and Furniture were first to show the usage. We lived in our about 5 months after we picked it up. I would plan on replacing your mattress within the first month or so...

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfowler View Post
I don't have experience buying from RV direct but I would be concerned about warranty issues. Where do you go if you have a problem?? If you go this route prepare yourself to do a thorough Pre-delivery inspection and make sure you go over everything before you leave.
We purchased our 2013 EAGLE 284BHS from RV Express. Not a single dealer in 3 states could come close to their price. We ordered it and went to Indiana to pick it up ($1500 savings just for shipping) and dropped off our TrailManor at a buyers house in KY.

As far as Warranty, we have been to 3 different JAYCO service centers and never had an issue. They all treated us like we purchased our TT from them.

When buying a TT/RV from one of the on line sales sites, remember that your purchase has to meet that states TT/RV requirements. Sway packages and engine options.

Would we do it again? ABSOLUTELY!! We are currently looking at a smaller TT from them as we are going seasonal with the EAGLE.

The Pre-Delivery inspection was great, went over everything (stove burners, ac, tested water pump, lights, central heat...., set the TT up with the TV and made sure it was all level for towing.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

If price is a concern, I would think you would consider buying used. A gently used unit 2 to 3 years out, from a private party, is likely to provide the best buy. As to the warranty, it is irrelevant if you take the time to upskill and do the work yourself...usually finish the work much more quickly that way. If you keep the unit, the depreciation becomes irrelevant as well.

Of course, the real problem is often funding. Buying used often means saving up the cash, and buying new usually means the bank funds the unit.

On the other hand, this is an entertainment cost, so...
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
When you buy a used unit from a couple years old; warranty work is done and some have their unit upgraded with extra's. Which is a bonus. No matter if you buy used or new there's always some maintenance involved.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #9

I bought from a dealer out of my area and drove hours to pick it up. My local dealer had no issue doing the warranty work.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We purchased our 2013 EAGLE 284BHS from RV Express. Not a single dealer in 3 states could come close to their price. We ordered it and went to Indiana to pick it up ($1500 savings just for shipping) and dropped off our TrailManor at a buyers house in KY.

As far as Warranty, we have been to 3 different JAYCO service centers and never had an issue. They all treated us like we purchased our TT from them.

Don
Ditto, same experience. Saved like $5000 and have had zero dealer issues. Nearest dealer was very helpful in getting final warrantee items pre approved by Jayco so they could minimize the time they had my W Hawk. Was even a dealer that I got a quote from before I went online.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #11

I just went to take a look at RVDirect.com, seems to be run by RVone. When we purchased our unit, we got a better deal at another dealer in the state than we had at an RVOne dealer, they even had the chance to match. You might also look and see if there are any chain dealers in the area your going to move to as well that would match, just a thought.

As for the 32BHDS, we looked at that model, and know a few with it. We ended up going with a different model but I can say we have been very happy with the Jayflight line.

Make sure you understand the payload (not towing) capacity on your TV and that you are within your comfort level, that trailer is probably going to be exceeding the payload on any half ton and might even be pushing some 3/4 tons with Diesels if they are crewcabs. Our trailer (29BHDS) is a little shorter than the 32BHDS and the tongue can exceed 1250lbs if its towed with water in it pretty easily. There are plenty of articles on this site about payload, but its better to know ahead of time, too many people seem to be mislead at the towing capacities and actual weights of the tongue (including myself).

Good luck with the decision, I think your going to like the trailer!

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #12

RVDirect was def cheaper than my local dealer by a few thousand. But I would have had to drive from NC to Tampa and back. Plus, it didn't include the hitch price or set up. With it being my first trailer, and my dealer s only 45 min awa, I paid for the piece of mind. Now, since I have some trips under my belt and feel more familiar and comfortable about towing, I wouldn't hesitate from buying from them. From what I have read, it is a good deal.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #13

HI All,
Just to let you know we too saved a bundle (9K) buy getting out TT from a dealership out of Mich. Here in the southwest the dealerships are rare to take off the transportation or destination fee. We made a vacation out of it and even with hotel cost of he way up and then the cost to stay at the campgrounds we saved he 9K. It is worth it to make the trip and pay a lower price. We looked at the BHDS but because we aren't going to be traveling a lot with youngsters we went with the 27DSRL. Love it.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #14

Thank you!

Thank you all for he great information! I feel better about considering RV Direct. We are taking the advice to visit the big Jayco dealer in Texas this weekend, before we decide where to buy from. I'll let you know!

And thank you all for the TV info. We are waiting to purchase it until we decide for sure on TT. Great info to remember when purchasing!

Sidrobin
Sidrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidrobin View Post
Thank you all for he great information! I feel better about considering RV Direct. We are taking the advice to visit the big Jayco dealer in Texas this weekend, before we decide where to buy from. I'll let you know!

And thank you all for the TV info. We are waiting to purchase it until we decide for sure on TT. Great info to remember when purchasing!

Sidrobin
I live in Houston and the local dealers could not come close to the Middlebury pricing and no sales tax. No haggling, factory tour, no sales tax, and a great price thousands less than I was quoted at the BIG dealers!

I pick up my 2016 Eagle 330RSDS in 8 weeks. I saved $1500 including the cost to fetch it myself.
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:

Sidrobin
Go a little further south to Shertz and visit Crestview RV Super Store there. It's part of the same group of dealerships as the one in Buda (Georgetown, Buda and Shertz). I went the store in Buda, and the salesman kept trying to push a custom build on us. I told him what we wanted, he said he didn't have it on the lot and that we could order it. As soon as we started looking at ordering a trailer, it seemed that all price negotiation stopped immediately. He basically gave us a menu with a price. I didn't get a really good feeling there.

I went down to Shertz and looked at a couple trailers on the lot that were VERY close to what we were looking for. No pressure sales, and they leave all their units unlocked so you can look at whatever you want with or without a sales person. Steve Spearing is the GM over there, and I worked mostly directly with him and negotiated most of the deal over email. We ended up getting almost the perfect trailer right off his lot (only wish I had opted for 2nd AC) for what I would consider a decent price. Yeah, I paid a bit more than you would at some of the online stores, but I have a relationship with that dealership now; the GM knows who I am, and the service department has always been very responsive. That relationship and peace of mind is worth a lot to me.

I will echo the advice about being careful about your tow vehicle capacities though. Both Steve and our PDI tech assured me I had plenty of truck. I didn't know then NEARLY what I know now about those items, so I took them at their word. I learned very quickly that I didn't have enough truck for my trailer and comfort level. Technically I was within spec, but it wasn't comfortable for me, and my family started growing pretty much right after we bought that trailer (which was the whole reason we bought the trailer in the first place really). But then I ended up trading my truck in on the truck I wished I had bought in the first place, so it worked out, even if it did cost me some $$.

Good luck!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I live in Houston and the local dealers could not come close to the Middlebury pricing and no sales tax. No haggling, factory tour, no sales tax, and a great price thousands less than I was quoted at the BIG dealers!

I pick up my 2016 Eagle 330RSDS in 8 weeks. I saved $1500 including the cost to fetch it myself.
Will you not have to pay the sales tax when you register it in TX? Sure, you won't have to pay it at the time of purchase, but the county tax office will give you a nice bill when you go to register it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Will you not have to pay the sales tax when you register it in TX? Sure, you won't have to pay it at the time of purchase, but the county tax office will give you a nice bill when you go to register it.
That's certainly how it works in California. I have seen this mentioned a couple times recently, not sure if some states let you slide on sales tax, but mine will extract every last cent possible.

As for RV direct being a good price...I have reason to believe they use a bit of a dynamic pricing model. The further away you are the lower the price. I got a quote from them with pick up at the Des Moines location, at my request a friend in Denver requested the exact same quote and it was higher. Further, circumstantial evidence, I have read folks locally going to the dealership in Des Moines, which isn't actually called RV Direct, I guess that is the online branding, and getting quotes much higher than those given to online out of state buyers. Who knows if I am right or if this was a one time anomaly. However it reasons to me that a business would conduct lower margin transactions for out of market buyers who order then come pick it up almost immediately vs in market buyer who expects inventory and service.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #19

Quote:

Sidrobin

My sister in law bought her camper from RV Direct. They dealer they picked up from threw in some extras at pickup as well. She had one minor issue and her local dealer in Richmond VA took care of her even though they couldn't come close to RV Direct's price.

My thinking is this. All dealers pay the same price for the trailers they sell. I'm not paying extra to pad a dealers pocket. Maybe I'm wrong. I drove two hours and saved a few thousand dollars for a camper with more options...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #20

I requested the quote from RV Direct. There is not place to share your address - how would they know your location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
That's certainly how it works in California. I have seen this mentioned a couple times recently, not sure if some states let you slide on sales tax, but mine will extract every last cent possible.

As for RV direct being a good price...I have reason to believe they use a bit of a dynamic pricing model. The further away you are the lower the price. I got a quote from them with pick up at the Des Moines location, at my request a friend in Denver requested the exact same quote and it was higher. Further, circumstantial evidence, I have read folks locally going to the dealership in Des Moines, which isn't actually called RV Direct, I guess that is the online branding, and getting quotes much higher than those given to online out of state buyers. Who knows if I am right or if this was a one time anomaly. However it reasons to me that a business would conduct lower margin transactions for out of market buyers who order then come pick it up almost immediately vs in market buyer who expects inventory and service.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote