Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

1st trip issues with my 2021 White Hawk BH29

We were trying to stay local to give our new TT a test drive and I'm thankful for.. Everything worked well as expected and had a great trip to a State park for half the week. On the way home I lost my brakes on the TT and the lights as well... I only had the driver side break light and running lights work when the brake was applied. Checked my hook ups and still nothing.. I have some work cut out for me considering this is a lot newer than my last White Hawk..

If there any suggestions the community can give it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks- Mac
Macdog1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #2

So if you trailer is wired at all like mine. My trailer lights and emergency brake and 7 pin connector are wired up in the little black box on the front of the trailer. I would look there for a loose wire. Also check the fuses there as well on my 2021 212qbw I have a 50amp which Is battery to converter. I have a 30amp which is my solar then I have a 20amp which is my trailer brakes trailer lights and electric jack
dalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #3

Macdog1982 - You might also trace the ground wire from that J-Box to where it is connected to the trailer frame. Check for loose or corroded connection. My trailer from factory was landed with screw into frame but surface contact area was paint. Needed to scrape/sand frame to remove paint to insure proper ground.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Macdog1982 - You might also trace the ground wire from that J-Box to where it is connected to the trailer frame. Check for loose or corroded connection. My trailer from factory was landed with screw into frame but surface contact area was paint. Needed to scrape/sand frame to remove paint to insure proper ground.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
And add some Dielectric grease to the connection.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #5

I lost brakes and lights the 3rd or 4th time out with our new Talon. The self tapping screw holding the ground wire broke off. Appeared to be tourqued to much at the factory. Pretty easy fix. Hope yours is that simple.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:19 PM   #6

All of your symptoms point to a lost ground connection. I agree it is likely the ground wire to trailer frame is not connected properly, or the wire has a break somewhere. You can do a quick test by completing the ground circuit to the trailer battery negative terminal via a jumper wire, if that solves the issue then you have to search for the fault in the trailer ground wiring.
And putting dielectric grease on all the bare wire parts at connections is a good way to avoid corrosion and future problems
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #7

Hope you were able to find it! Losing TT breaks is a bad feeling. It happened to me, too, only it was just the brakes. Found wires came apart at the wheels. Good luck!

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote