Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #1

2-40 gallon tanks in Rocky Mountain edition?

I have owned a 2019 jay flight baja rocky mountain edition for the last two years and have been out with it only a handful of times. The RV was purchased new. Upon filling and rinsing out the tank for the first time I noticed that it didn't fill up 80 gallons before the overflow drain started running. The meter read full, however after the overflow stopped I was down to 2/3. Went ahead on to our boondock destination, filling up at the closest koa to our site (50 miles) again, the overflow bled off 1/3 of our fresh water while driving. Also, there was no way I got 80 gallons of water in the tank(s) more like 40. Ran out after 5 days of using water conservatively between 2 people. Took the trailer in to local dealer. They explained the transfer line between the two tanks was very small and took quite a long time to fill the second tank from the first tank. They suggested driving around a bit to help the water transfer to the other tank (?!!!), Or let it set a while. Also explained the lowpoint drains were set a bit low in the tank, and extended them for me. ( I actually had them remove the belly pan to confirm there were two tanks as I knew we didn't fill up 80 gallons. Unfortunately, it was at the end of camping season and due to freezing temps, I had the trailer winterized and put away at that same time. Got a later than usual start to camping in 2020 for the obvious reasons. Took off on a month long adventure the beginning of September (trying to avoid the crazy 2020 Covid newbie crowds, but that's a different story) cleaned out tank, filled up til run off (still didn't seem like 80 gallons, still felt like 40-ish), drove around, over flows bled off 1/3, topped off, let set over night, drained and took off on our adventure, still concerned about not being able to fill up the second tank, but no time to take it back to the dealer. After having filled up at multiple points, and driving to our destinations, the problem is still the same; approximately 40 gallon fill up before overflows start running. Let sit, or drive, and when overflow stops running, I'm down 1/3-ish. Try to put more water in, and it repeats the same process. Very frustrated. Anyone have this issue, or a solution? I have camped my entire life and understand how to conserve resources, making them last for extended periods of time. Running out of fresh water after 5-6 days boondocking, is not ideal. This specific trailer with 80 gallons of fresh water was purchased so we could stay out for 2 weeks+
Very frustrated. Hope someone can help. Thanks!
YelloDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #2

Are your tanks siphoning off when you drive? That is a very common issue and some have put a valve on the overflow which they shut off after filling. Just remember to open it when you get to your destination.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #3

I think it is siphoning water, once it starts, it just draws out more water. I thought about doing that, just concerned that closing off the overflow may cause a problem of sorts that I'm not thinking of. Could it cause a problem? Is that where it draws air to equalize the tank as you use water? So as long as I open the valve, before I start using water, I'll be fine?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloDuc View Post
I think it is siphoning water, once it starts, it just draws out more water. I thought about doing that, just concerned that closing off the overflow may cause a problem of sorts that I'm not thinking of. Could it cause a problem? Is that where it draws air to equalize the tank as you use water? So as long as I open the valve, before I start using water, I'll be fine?
I have the same two tanks, and added two 1/4 turn valves to the ends of the overflows. A quick turn open to fill the tanks, shut them off to travel, and open again after the TT is level, to use the pump. Those tanks are very shallow, so any off level to that side will cause drainage.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I have the same two tanks, and added two 1/4 turn valves to the ends of the overflows. A quick turn open to fill the tanks, shut them off to travel, and open again after the TT is level, to use the pump. Those tanks are very shallow, so any off level to that side will cause drainage.
Thanks! I'll give this a try. Any issues filling both tanks? Do they both fill right up or do you have to wait for the first to drain into the second?