Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #1

2 Honda 2000 companion' mounted on my TT rear bumper

Looking for idea's on ways to set my 2 generators on the rear of my TT. ONLY while I am parked and set up. They will ride in the back of the truck while traveling. This wil be for use of the generators while sleeping or traveling some while the dogs stay at the camper. Something portable and removeable. I feel I can secure them more readily from this idea. While sleeping in rest area's or parking lots. OR is this a BAD IDEA due to exhaust fumes being that close to a sleeping enviroment. Wouldnt want to risk carbon monoxide dangers. Any Ideas or suggestions?
Thank You
Drop
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 AM   #2

They'll be much quieter on the ground.

A cable through the handles and around the rear bumper should be more than adequate to secure them. If somebody wants to take them bad enough, they will, no matter what steps you take to secure them.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #3

I store my SECURED 2KW Honda in the back of my truck near the tail gate. My truck bed has a FOLD-A-COVER folding panels locked cover as well. It is pretty safe being stowed here. When I need to us it I just drop the tail gate and pull the generator out on to the tailgate and point the exhaust away from my trailer and others...

This works out great for us and using the out of sight out of mind idea for safe from thief has been good for us since 2008. My generator goes where I go mounted in the back of my truck bed.

My generator is mostly only used for hooking up my trailer to my shore power cable on the Trailer to allow my generator to re-charge the batteries which takes around three hours of generator run time each morning. Everywhere we go to here on the East side of the USA seems to all have generator run time restrictions in place and can never run the generator between 8PM and 8AM the next morning for sure. Out West where there is alot of DISPERSED camping may be different rules for running the generator.

We run off the batteries banks for the most part and then re-charge back up to the 90% charge state the next morning during breakfast so we can do it all over again for the the next day/night run off the batteries.

I'm sure other do it differently but this is what works for us using our generator.

I would worry my self to death having my generators secured to the back of my trailer sitting all alone in a camp ground some where. Out of sight out mind has worked great for us over the years...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ptdroptine View Post
Looking for idea's on ways to set my 2 generators on the rear of my TT. ONLY while I am parked and set up. They will ride in the back of the truck while traveling. This wil be for use of the generators while sleeping or traveling some while the dogs stay at the camper. Something portable and removeable. I feel I can secure them more readily from this idea. While sleeping in rest area's or parking lots. OR is this a BAD IDEA due to exhaust fumes being that close to a sleeping enviroment. Wouldnt want to risk carbon monoxide dangers. Any Ideas or suggestions?
Thank You
Drop
I used to chain and padlock my old Honda 3000 in the truck bed and just bought a 30 amp extension cord. The genny was too heavy and awkward to unload for a single night.
We tried once carrying it on the rear slide out rack where it could be secured by chain, but found that it transferred too much vibration into the entire fifth wheel, so would have to unchain, both of us heft it to ground, then both of us heft it back and secure it for travel. The extra 20' of cord was so much easier.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #5

Why would you use two companions? Only need one companion and one regular 2k Honda generator.

As noted, they will probably be quieter sitting on the ground. Also, they can be secured just as easily on the ground as on a carrier.

Quote:
Thank You
Drop

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:46 AM   #6

Becauae I wanted 2 companions with the 30 amp plug. That way they will get used equally
Drop
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #7

A $3 20 amp adapter will allow you to plug your 30A plug into any 20A outlet. You will only get something like 13.6 amps out of either single Honda 2000's.

Like others have said, just set the gens on the tailgate of your tv or under the back or front of the TT. You can attach one or both to the tailgate without all the grief and expense of installing a "mounting" device.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #8

Already bought the 2 companions. No regrets. I can use them alternating back and forth keeping hours equal about. There will be many times when 13.6 amps will suffice and 2 of them when I need AC
Drop
Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Already bought the 2 companions. No regrets. I can use them alternating back and forth keeping hours equal about. There will be many times when 13.6 amps will suffice and 2 of them when I need AC
Drop
Don't need both to be companions to do what you describe. Done now so other than wasting a $100 bucks or more you're good to go. Thinking about hanging something like 100lbs plus the weight of the rack on you TT bumper is not a good plan. Why not just sit them on the ground and cable lock them to the bumper? Seems like you are over thinking this.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

Not really wasted. Not overthinking just asking for suggestions and ideas since I am new to this. Only asked since I have seen them going down the road. Have no problam sitting them on the ground and locking them with a cable. Never wasted $100. As I still have 2 companions. And an assortment of plugs and extension cords.
Drop
Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 PM   #11

I have one of each, and they get used equally. As long as they are connected together, you can run either one and power the trailer, even though the 30 amp plug is in only one of the generators.

Quote:
Becauae I wanted 2 companions with the 30 amp plug. That way they will get used equally
Drop

Old 11-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #12

not to be gloom and doom, but I worked at Six Flags Over Texas growing up. We had a family traveling with two beautiful great danes. They left them in their RV with the generator running while they went into the park. Sometime during the day, the generator failed and both dogs died of heat stroke. Absolutely the saddest thing I have ever seen. The owners were heartbroken.
lefoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefoster View Post
not to be gloom and doom, but I worked at Six Flags Over Texas growing up. We had a family traveling with two beautiful great danes. They left them in their RV with the generator running while they went into the park. Sometime during the day, the generator failed and both dogs died of heat stroke. Absolutely the saddest thing I have ever seen. The owners were heartbroken.
This is why we went with the Honda brand. For trust issue's. And yes they can fail also. I 'm sure. We thought of leaving our beagles there in the ac fo a couple hours at a time. I wonder IF o e generator fails if the.ither one will still provide 13 amps and keep running? Still needs some thought. And yes that would be terribly sad.
Drop
Old 11-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Not having to ever look for an adaptor plug could make the second companion a worthwhile investment.

I wouldn't hesitate to mount the 2 X 40lb generators on the rear bumper while the trailer is stationary. The additional stress of bouncing down the highway might be a different story. A metal or wooden platform on the bumper secured with a couple of U-Bolts and a good quality cable lock through the handles of the Hondas would probably be sufficient protection for most campgrounds. You might want to look into some sort of noise insulation as it would probably transmit the sound into the trailer otherwise.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
Not having to ever look for an adaptor plug could make the second companion a worthwhile investment.

How difficult is it to carry a 20A to 30A adapter in your tool kit. Really you should have one or two just so you can plug in the TT at a friends home for an overnite stop. This guy has 2 companions so the deed is done. The companion is slightly more expensive and completely unnessary for the purposes this OP stated.

Done.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
How difficult is it to carry a 20A to 30A adapter in your tool kit. Really you should have one or two just so you can plug in the TT at a friends home for an overnite stop. This guy has 2 companions so the deed is done. The companion is slightly more expensive and completely unnessary for the purposes this OP stated.

Done.
OP did not ask for comments about his choice of generators, just received a bunch of useless opinions that had nothing to do with the original question. Why don't you go troll another forum !
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #17

Quote:
OP did not ask for comments about his choice of generators, just received a bunch of useless opinions that had nothing to do with the original question. Why don't you go troll another forum !
Thank You Ottawasteve.
Drop
Old 11-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Troll?? I think not. The opinions are to clarify for others who might think two companions were necessary. The OP made his choice, so be it!! Others now are better informed which is one of the main purposes of this forum.

Have a nice cold day!!
Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 PM   #19

I heard that the rear bumper is not intended for much more additional weight. it'll break the welds.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #20

Since it's static, it should be ok. You'd be 100% correct if the TT were moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
I heard that the rear bumper is not intended for much more additional weight. it'll break the welds.