Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #1

2 water filters, hadn't seen this before

Saw a TT with a water filter at the city water source and another right before the inlet to the TT. Seems the owner thought by having two filters he would get cleaner water. He uses the one from "last year" at the water source and the "new" one at the TT inlet. Since the filters are both the same model it doesn't seem to me that multiple filters are going to provide cleaner water, but I don't know enough about water filtration to judge. Anyone with more experience care to comment.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #2

Two of the exact same filters in serie9isn't going to do much. I could see the benefit of a "coarse" filter upstream of a "fine" filter if you were so inclined.
Or running two filters in parallel could work, although that would only really make sense for high flow situations, not an rv.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Two of the exact same filters in serie9isn't going to do much. I could see the benefit of a "coarse" filter upstream of a "fine" filter if you were so inclined.
Or running two filters in parallel could work, although that would only really make sense for high flow situations, not an rv.
I agree with that and you might have reduced water pressure also.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 AM   #4

If one is good, two is better??? The logic in this is similar to instructions on putting oil on a part. If the instruction says put a drop on the part, then putting multi drops must be better.

In the case of water filters, a filter will naturally clog over time as particles are trapped. Water flow will be decreased as the filter becomes more and more restricted. Putting a used filter upstream and a new one down stream is not a good plan. It will not improve the purity of the water and as has been mentioned is likely to cause lower water pressure.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #5

I've seen seasonal campers use 2 filters in series, the first being a sediment filter for sand and the 2nd being a charcoal filter for taste. Most of us use a general purpose filter that does both but no way as well as a filter designed for a single purpose.
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #6

^^^ This... either one that does both or two one with sediment the other with charcoal for taste... but using an old one then a new one makes little sense... the charcoal filters are only good for 6 months... at most..
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
^^^ This... either one that does both or two one with sediment the other with charcoal for taste... but using an old one then a new one makes little sense... the charcoal filters are only good for 6 months... at most..
Agree. Plus you don't know how much bacteria has been growing in the one from last year.
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Agree. Plus you don't know how much bacteria has been growing in the one from last year.
Not just last year... you can't tell much from the blue sealed filters. I use the kind you just replace the cartridge inside a canister, so I can see what the filter traps. One winter we spent 5 months in Florida. Never noticed anything strange about the water, but when I opened the canister to throw the cartridge away when we were leaving, it was covered with black slime. Gives me the willys everytime I think about it!
NH_camper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water filters