Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
Do you guys think it is fair to ask for at least 20% the msrp of your unit?? I will be talking to my salesman tomorrow. Of course he was off for the last 2 days...I really need help with the finance part of buying stuff....one of my biggest weaknesses.....I am easily pushed over
Wish I hadn't retired from RV sales so soon. Your my kind of customer....LOL..the margins in this stuff is incredible. The MSRP game in RVs continues to be the most protected game in any industry. 40 to 50 % of MRSP may be actual cost of the unit. Yes there is freight, dealer fees, and prep etc etc. We even marked up the freight on most units. I bought a F/W last year for myself that had MSRP of $115,000 and paid $68000. No I didn't buy it at where I retired.

2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg 6 AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/me...albums843.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesuezee View Post
Do you guys think it is fair to ask for at least 20% the msrp of your unit?? I will be talking to my salesman tomorrow. Of course he was off for the last 2 days...I really need help with the finance part of buying stuff....one of my biggest weaknesses.....I am easily pushed over
I have a general philosophy about asking for something...all they can say is "no". Take the advice others have offered about amount off and ask. If they say no tell them to come down towards what you want to pay and you come up some towards what you want to pay. Repeat until you get the price you want or walk away.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Old 09-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #13

My experience, for what it's worth...

I am a terrible negotiator. So when I went to buy the trailer, I simply did it all over email. This allowed me to sit and think rather than feeling pressured by a salesperson.

My method of negotiation was this: I called every dealer within about 1000 miles of my house and asked them for quotes on the exact model and options I wanted (I was assuming a custom order anyway).

They were all very happy to email me a quote within 48 hours.

The local dealer gave me a quote that was several thousand above the best quote I got. I emailed them back, told them what the low quote was, and that if they could match it, I'd buy from them, otherwise, I'd take the drive.

Local dealer hemmed and hawed (over email) for a bit, then finally came back with a quote that was within $500 of the lowest quote.

I'm sure I didn't get the best deal in history, but I think I got a better deal than I would have face to face.

The MSRP on Jayco's site for my unit is $39,536. I ended up paying $29,500 OTD. That's 25% off the MSRP.

I maybe could have done better, sounds like some on here certainly have done much better. But I feel that given the lack of emotional trauma to a guy like me who hates negotiating, perhaps it's worth a few extra bucks? The local dealer, of course, acted like I was stealing a baby from them.

In retrospect, I probably should have pressed the lower priced dealers for better prices before approaching the local dealer. But I think I did alright.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #14

I think what helped my price was that I selected a floor model, not a custom order. In fact I purchased the Prototype of the 35UN, My paperwork and the outside of my coach states 36UN. I have a different floor then any other Precept I have seen in person or online, My cabinets are slightly darker. It appears that mine is the only one with these differences.
Attached Thumbnails
Duo.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #15

Certainly doesn't hurt to negotiate for one in their current inventory versus a custom order. I was targeting 30% off based on research and a quote from rv direct. Ended up getting the local dealer to about 28% off, then had them throw in a free equalizer hitch. They made money, I didn't pay near Msrp, and everyone walked away happy.

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #16

A question I haven't seen asked. Appears by signature line the OP owns a trailer. Is it paid for? Is the OP going to trade in that trailer? Does this not have an impact on the out the door price of any deal if the trade is paid off by the dealer? Just seems like speculation without knowing all the particulars of the deal. I don't want my pocket looted any more than anyone else, but I realistically understand if a dealer pays a balance on an unpaid trade in (or over allows if the buyer is upside down), that has an impact on negotiating leverage. RV dealers are businesses, not charities.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #17

I second the issue with thomasmnile above. The minute you tell them you have a trade, you are NOT going to get the best you can.
Ex, I asked what the cash price of a unit I wanted. Was quoted 32K discounted to 22K, tax, prep, misc fees, 24,500. Then I told him I had a trade, say value of 4,000, suddenly the deal became 32K, discount of 6K and a trade value of 4K, tax, prep, misc fees, came to 24,400.00. The deal with the trade was within 100.00 of the cash only deal. I called the sales manager and told him to stop insulting me by trying to take my trailer and only give me 100.00 for it. Then they said it was old and would probably wholesale for only 1,000. Then I told him that is worse, you didn't even give me the 1000! They were still ripping me off.

For me, I used e-mail to get the best CASH price, let them know that I am asking other dealers for quotes and will compare. From that I take the best and let the best 3 try once more to beat the others. As long as I like the best deal and the dealer, I only give other dealers a chance to BEAT it and only 1 chance. Then I drop the bomb on them about the trade and however better the deal is under the cash is basically the amount they are "really" giving me for the trade.

Aardvarkjff is offline   Reply With Quote