Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

2005 Jayflight 28BH Question

I looking for some help with my 28BH Jayflight and I'm hopeing someone can assist me. My family and I headed up to Iowa on Friday to get a weekend in of camping, before leaving I did my routine checks prior to getting on our way. Checked all the trailer lighting, brake system and made sure the refrigerator was running off of the truck power eat. etc. Halfway up I stopped at the store to get some food for the weekend and i noticed the trailer brakes were not working, i had power from the box but no brakes. I then went inside the TT and noticed the refrigerator and livingroom light would not work as they normally would while being plugged into the truck. All of the other trailer running lights, brake lights and turn signals worked normally. Is there a fuse located in the trailer for the brake and refrigerator that is seperate from the breaker panel? Any help would be appreciated.
mantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Mantam! Glad you could find us as there are quite a few mechanical techie members here who love to share their experience and knowlege.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #3

First let me say that on my trailer the fridge only works on shore power or gas and that the battery only is used for electroiic ignition of the gas you might have a 3 way fridge that works on battery as well but most newer trailers only have a 2 way as far as I have seen. as far as the brakes go there is a fuse in most Tow vehicles for the brake controler havent seen a fuse on any of my trailers just for the brakes.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
First let me say that on my trailer the fridge only works on shore power or gas and that the battery only is used for electroiic ignition of the gas.....snip
Randy,

Your correct about the electronic ignition, but I believe there is also a small 12V DC circuit board tied into the frig as well (also part of ignition circuit), loose 12V power the frig won't operate on gas.

Mantam: There should be a fused link on the positive battery cable just prior to the battery..., but I would also check the battery cable connections at the battery.

Another source could be the battery charging connection at the 7-pin connector.... may also be compromised.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #5

Yes Rustic Eagle that is what I was at least trying to say but there is no fuse that I know of that would affect just the fridge and the brakes.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
snip......but there is no fuse that I know of that would affect just the fridge and the brakes.
I don't recall running across one in the past either.

The OP mentioned that his TT ceiling light wasn't working either, this seems to indicate that the entire 12V DC system of the TT is not operating.

The TT "exterior" lights I believe will continue to operate off the TV's system via the 7-pin connection.

I'm more of a wrench and sledgehammer guy, electrical is not my strong suit.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #7

Thanks for all the quick replies. Rustic eagle is correct. The exterior light as well as the main cabin light are not working off of the 7 pin connector from the TV. My refrigerator would also normally operate off of the power supplied from the TV. It's just strange that I lost all the above at the same time I lost the electric brakes. I checked all the fuses on the TV and the brake controller still has power. I would really like to fix this myself versus taking it to the shop. This way it helps me that much more on getting to know my TT and repair any problems that may occur while camping.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

Yea well I missed that lights wouldnt work inside ether I would check fuse at the battery if that is blown then no 12v power will get inside. but still the brake line is from the 7 pin connector and does not work off of main trailer battery it is from the TV.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #9

Our '05 29bhs will not get power inside (ie lights, fridge, etc) if the battery cables are off, the battery is completely dead or the fuse on the hot line for the battery is blown. For the brakes, check the 7 pin connector at the bumper of the TV, if juice there, then try and trace the wires to the junction box next to the frame in the front of the trailer. See if there is juice there. What kind of TV do you have?
2005 Jay Flight 29bhs
2016 GMC Sierra 2500hd Duramax Crewcab
bklabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Mantam,

Don't know if it will help, but here is the 7-pin connection layout:

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantam View Post
snip.....Is there a fuse located in the trailer for the brake and refrigerator that is seperate from the breaker panel? Any help would be appreciated.
Yes, for the fridge and interior lights, there is a fuse which is on the main 12v wire lead, right next to the TT battery. I would look there first. I agree with Old Blue, that the TV would supply the brakes directly, so that part is puzzling.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #12

Thanks for all the info. It looks like I have several things to check this weekend. It sounds like it is probably a couple of things that just so happened to have occurred at the same time. I am going to go down this list on Saturday and see what I come up with. I will post my findings when I get to the bottom of it. I'm really happy that I found this forum that has so many people willing to help out. I hope I can contribute just as much in the future.
1999 Z71 Extended Cab, 5.3L, 4:10, with 4" Lift.
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28BH.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
I agree with Old Blue, that the TV would supply the brakes directly, so that part is puzzling.
After I pondered this for a little while, I would suggest checking the 7-pin electrical tow cable on the TT tongue. See that it's not pinched or damaged. Also, this cable terminates at a junction box on the front of the TT frame. Check the connections inside this junction box. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #14

Thanks again for all the help, with all the suggestions and the diagram that rustic Eagle supplied I was able to trackdown the problem yesterday. With the brakes and lights as well as the fridge going down all at the same time that led me to beleive the problemwas on the TT. After looking at the 7pin diagram I took my volt meter and checked the 12 volt supply from the TV at the 7 pin connector and realized I didn't have power. I traced everything out and discovered that the RV dealer that installed my brake box and 7 pin connector hooked the 12 volt supply for the brakes and the 12 supply for the TT to the interior light fuse in the cab of the TV. I replaced the 10 amp fuse and everything is working fine. since this is the first time the fuse has blown I am going to leave it as is for now but if it does happen again in the future I will take the 12 volt supply for the TT to a seperate power supply. Thanks again for everyones help!
1999 Z71 Extended Cab, 5.3L, 4:10, with 4" Lift.
2005 Jayco Jayflight 28BH.