Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

Question 2007 Jay Feather 30U Newb

Blushing newbie here!

I recently purchased a 2007 Jay Feather 30U from a guy near Cleveland, TX who does refurbs. Big mistake...but the $5K is already in his greasy little mitts, so I'm making the best of it I can. Being under-schooled in RV's was my own fault, and I was just so excited to have one that I didn't do a very thorough job on my homework. My bad, and my expense. The guy masked a nasty water leak over the bunkroom that had to be addressed due to extensive mold. I should've known something was amiss given the smell, but he assured me all RV's "had that certain smell about them." Right...

After extensive tear out and mold remediation with Biocide, I'm in the process of reconstructing the bunkroom, leaving only the lower bunk that covers the wiring and A/C. I'm planning on putting a sewing table in there

I'm also repainting the entire interior and replacing all the window treatments with ones I'm making myself. I had the guy pull out the sofa and dinette, which I'm replacing with a table and chairs and a "sofa" I'm making out of a queen foam mattress that I'm cutting into thirds to stack and making a cover and bolster pillows for it. I'm looking forward to being done with all this sewing!

Okay, my questions about replacing/repairing stuff:
The skylight liner in the bathroom has cracked around the screws that hold it up. Any suggestions on a replacement acquisition or repair ideas?

The previous owner brilliantly decided to seal around the tub with that horrible clear rubberized silicone sealant that is now moldy and HELL to remove. Any suggestions on getting that crap off?

The carpet on the slide is disgusting, and I would like to replace it. It has a specially bound edge, and I was wondering, do they make pre-bound replacement pieces you can buy? I've looked and haven't been successful.

The racks in the fridge have chips in the coating and rust. Has anyone been successful in repairing them, or would I just be better off finding replacements?

Thanks for any help with my questions. Happy RVing!
KittyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #2

As far as the carpet goes I would suggest that you call a local carpet store and find out who they use for binding the edges & buy your new carpeting from them.
Remove your existing carpet carefully so they can use it as a template and it should fit perfectly.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll do that.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be sure your roof doesn't have anymore leaks. If you bought from a shady business I would pull the hubs to check brakes and bearings. Foundation and Roof always are the most important!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Be sure your roof doesn't have anymore leaks. If you bought from a shady business I would pull the hubs to check brakes and bearings. Foundation and Roof always are the most important!
I'll have my friends who are keeping the trailer on their property for me check those out. The guy had repaired a leak over the main bedroom, too, but he did a crap job of repairing the ceiling in there, so I'm going to pull it down and redo it and make sure he didn't just trap a bunch of mold in there as well. The guy totally hid behind a "good Christian" persona, but I should've seen him for the con man he was I think I'm madder at myself than him, though.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Even at the dealership we get conned a few times a year when the trade-ins are rushed through. It is unfortunate it happens. The feathers from those years where of solid construction, but errors always happen during construction process. Wish you good luck with your 30U.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Even at the dealership we get conned a few times a year when the trade-ins are rushed through. It is unfortunate it happens. The feathers from those years where of solid construction, but errors always happen during construction process. Wish you good luck with your 30U.
Thanks, ALJO. It really is unfortunate when people are dishonest, but I do believe in "Karma" as they call it. My TT does seem to have good bones, it's just not been well cared for. I'm excited to make it pretty again
Old 01-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #8

Welcome aboard KittyRose.

Removing silicone caulk. Hate the stuff. Go to your favorite DIY store. In the paint department, you should be able to buy a spray bottle of caulk remover. It is not a miracle item. But it does help soften the top layer. I find it best for that last little bit of cleanup. I have also had decent luck if I get the caulk good and wet, then apply some really thin plastic over it and let is sit to soak in and not evaporate off. Cut up trash bag or even saran wrap will work. I also like using really old very worn out green Scotch pads (minimal scratching).

Carpet, couple options, There is linoleum under it, you could just remove it and leave it out. I have done that in the past, as I hate dealing with all the leaves, sand and crap in it. I find it easier to sweep than to vacuum. If you want a bound carpet edge, talk with one of your local carpet companies. My parents just ordered (have not received yet) custom area rug for their home. It will be used like an area rug, they are having it bound.

Skylight, there are a number of different skylights out there. You will need to measure yours to find the right size. There are lots of different online RV parts stores. Amazon also caries many. Here is a possible unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Class-Customs...0074819&sr=8-1

As for the Frig shelves. I have no experience. If yours are like mine they look to be plastic dipped. Again amazon or googling for RV parts stores. I bet while you are at your favorite DIY store, you might be able to find a good coating in their paint department. Might even talk with an appliance department, as they may have some ideas. I doubt a real appliance store would be much help, as good quality appliances have a better shelf.

X2 on double checking your roof. You should inspect it at least twice a year. If you are planning to keep the TT, I would recommend applying Eternabond, it will eliminate most of your future roof issues. Also would recommend looking at your marker lights. Sometimes water leaks in through them too (wire hole, or screw hole).

Please post some pictures when your all done. Sounds like you will have a nice custom TT when your done.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:15 PM   #9

Anytime anyone refers to anyone as a "good Christian" I grab my wallet and about face. there sure seem to be so many of them today, yet more anger and hate, than ever.
MK 2022 is offline   Reply With Quote