Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #1

2007 jayflight 29BHS water leaking through AC unit

Rain water is leaking through my air conditioner unit, last night a driving rain came down in buckets. Water was dripping through the unit, about one gallon of water was in the bucket this morning.

Could it be the AC sealing gasket ? or is it possible the rain came through the unit sideways?
bat119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Team

More than likely it's the seal to the roof. Have you ever checked the 4 bolts for tightness?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
More than likely it's the seal to the roof. Have you ever checked the 4 bolts for tightness?
Never thought of that will give that a go first, it's never happened before the deluge last night. The trailer is about 50 miles from home a field fix would be good.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

After some research I found you are supposed to check the four screws for"tightness" annually. In the installation manual the specs for the screws is 40-50 lbs. torque........... will tighten very cautiously.

My trailer is far away would anybody what type of screws they are? Phillips, boxhead bolt, Torx?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Never thought of that will give that a go first, it's never happened before the deluge last night. The trailer is about 50 miles from home a field fix would be good.
If the mounting bolts are, indeed tight, two more thoughts. The A/C pan drain is plugged with something, or the mounting gasket has failed. Just some things to look at, since it's so far away from you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
After some research I found you are supposed to check the four screws for"tightness" annually. In the installation manual the specs for the screws is 40-50 lbs. torque.
correction should be inch lbs.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
After some research I found you are supposed to check the four screws for"tightness" annually. In the installation manual the specs for the screws is 40-50 lbs. torque........... will tighten very cautiously.

My trailer is far away would anybody what type of screws they are? Phillips, boxhead bolt, Torx?
Our Coleman A/C has regular hex head bolts. They're more like very long screws. If I remember The hex heads were fairly small. I had my 1/4" socket set out for it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #8

At the trailer this weekend I set my torque wrench for 40 inch LBS. turned each 5/16" nut 4 full turns 1 turn at a time, the wrench never did click. I could see the unit sucking down slightly with each turn, being Lock bolts they felt stiff but not tight I didn't want over tighten decide not to go with the 40-50 inch lb.
spec.

I hope this fixes the problem big job to change the gasket I guess we will find out next rainfall left a big tub under the AC unit just in case.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Team

I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't fix your leak. Loose A/C's are fairly common. We had a TT stationary for 10 years. It never moved, and the A/C was loose a couple of times, just from usage.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD