Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

2008 Jay Flight 24RKS Satellite Dish Hookup

Hello,

I purchased a Winegard portable satellite dish. During the setup, we could not get the signal from the outside coaxial plug to the inside television plug. We had to run the coax cable from the dish directly to the receiver through the door. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
momsfudge59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #2

Probably not. And your solution is exactly what a Dish installer advised I do a couple years ago. He said RVs were problamatic half the time. From all the posts on the subject, I expect he wasn't far off. I made life easier later on by purchasing a Tailgater and still run coax directly from it to the receiver and branch off to the other tv from there.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Does your 24RKS have both an external roof antenna, a 12VDC amp and a coax cable connector on the outside of the camper for cable/sat TV connection. If so you may have to make modification
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #4

Mustang65, please don't take this wrong. I'm not disagreeing with you that he should be able to use the rig's system, which he paid for. But there are a ton of threads on all the RV forums about this problem. Turn off the booster. Make sure the rig has RG6 coming in, etc. The thing isn't that complicated, the companies just seem to refuse to change their systems to conform to today's technology. The OP has solved the problem, he just needs to make his entry into the rig more sanitary than through the doorway and maybe lay down some cable run to another tv if needed. Then he can use his over-air system for locals, if the cableing supports HD, and enjoy his satellite system the rest of the time.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Team

No problem... when I bought the dish-tailgater and plugged it into the TT cable connecter, I had no signal. I isolated the TT coax from the rear outside connector and set up the dish system only using that coax and it worked. So I knew the problem was inside the media center. i had to rewire the TT outside coax cable connector (where the dish connects) around the TT's TV amp. After reconnecting all the fittings using a small wrench, as 2 of the fittings were so lose they were ready to fall off. I put a 75ohm terminating resister on one end and checked the other end with a meter. Now had 75 ohms. Picture was great after that. No idea as to what may be causing the issue here. I also wired in th bunk house TV while I had the media center open... all working great.
Good luck
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote