Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #1

2009 Jay Feather EXP 19H fold down bed issue

New owner here (actually the camper is in my wife's name) and we just completed our first trip in our new to us camper. It towed easy and both set up and breakdown were very easy. Everything worked like it supposed to for the most part. And since we camped with friends (seasoned campers) and were near the marina where we keep our boat (88 SeaRay Seville) we all had a blast and returned home tired and sunburn (very very hot/dry weekend).

That said we did have an issue which I'd like advice on how to proceed. Our camper has fold down platforms on each end that support a queen size bed. this was one of the features we really liked. Kept the camper size small but offered room to sleep 6-8 people. The camper was a neighbors (original owner) and he gave us all kinds of paperwork, none of which listed the max weight for these fold down beds. And as my wife and I are a little on the fluffy side I contacted Jayco to see what the max weight was. They replied back that it was 1100lbs which is more than double our weight (yeah us). That said the very first night we slept on the rear one it dumped us onto the ground and my wife ended up with a dislocated shoulder. I've uploaded pictures. The platforms look to be in pristine shape and the cables are still attached to the frame of the camper as is the loop at the end that the securing bolts pass thru. The bolts appear to have sheared in half on both sides. I've added pictures. I contacted local Jayco dealers/service departments and none had heard of this happening before. That said most are booked out thru the end of August. I thought about repairing it myself (wife said hell no). I did reach out to Jayco and they just said contact a dealer as they have no prints to look at (odd). Figured someone here might have had the same issue and they could let me know how they handled it. Thanks for any/all advice. Still like the camper and looking forward to our next trip. Won't be using the fold outs till we can get them fixed and then will be looking to add some kind of support brackets to put in place once they are opened up.
Attached Thumbnails
Jayco 3.jpg   Jayco 1.jpg   Jayco 2.jpg  
chez323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #2

just heard back from Jayco

VEHICLE SAFETY DEFECT SERVICE BULLETIN
NHTSA Recall Campaign # 09V-221
Unit Serial Number: «Serial#»
Dear Jayco Owner:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor
Vehicle Safety Act.
Jayco, Inc. has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in specific
Model Year 2009 Jayco Jay Feather EXP travel trailers models 23B, 19H, 21M and model year
2009 Jayco Jay Feather EX-PORT travel trailers model 17C manufactured between October 22,
2008 and May 5, 2009.
Jayco has identified that the screws used to attach the bunk door cables to the bunk doors may be
of insufficient length, which could result in the cable becoming detached from the door while the
travel trailer is parked and set up with the bunk doors open. If this condition is not addressed, it
could possibly result in an injury. There is no potential for this situation to occur while the
vehicle is being towed.
The remedy for the affected vehicles is to replace the screws attaching the cable to the bunk door
with longer fasteners. If you have had this repair performed before you received this letter, you
may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of
IMPORTANT
�� Your 2009 Jayco Jay Feather EXP travel trailer model 23B, 19H, 21M, or model year 2009 Jayco Jay
Feather EX-PORT travel trailer model 17C is involved in a safety recall because the screws used to attach
the bunk door cables to the bunk doors may be of insufficient length, which could result in the cable
becoming detached from the door while the travel trailer is parked and set up with the bunk doors open..
�� Schedule an appointment with your Jayco dealer.
�� This service will be performed for you at no charge.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #3

Hope your wife has a speedy recovery!

Due to the time laps did Jayco confirm they will cover the repair costs?

I hope this is the one and only issue you will have with this new to you camper

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

they said yes, since the original owner did not have the recall addressed they would cover it. Waiting to hear back from the closest dealer (about an hour away)...... she's a trooper, she has sling, some wine and is taking it easy for a while.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #5

It's nice to read that Jayco is taking care of it! Glad your wife is doing OK.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #6

update - because its a safety recall I was able to get an appointment for the 29th of this month. Considering they are booked out till the middle of September already that's not too bad. I'll advise once it's been addressed.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #7

Wow!

It seems a lot if companies would blow off a claim like this on an 11 year old unit.

Kudos to Jayco and your local dealer for stepping up!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #8

NHTSA recalls don't have a time limit, so they are just doing what they are supposed to do.

Funny, I looked at the photos before reading on, and my first thought was "they aren't sheared, but man are they short". The attachment seems different from our '11 19H (not recessed like that), but I will be taking a very close at mine this weekend when we head out on our next trip.

Thank you for the heads up and the further information!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #9

I would too if i were you..... once it's fixed we are looking into a support bracket of some sort for both ends just as an added safety measure (my wife is a bit gun shy). Also, in talking with the seller (my neighbor) he bought it from RV world in Buffalo (was the 2nd owner). You would think they would have checked for safety recalls before selling it. I know when I look at cars you can put in the VIN to a website and it will let you know if there are any open recalls. Seems there would be something similar in place for campers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
NHTSA recalls don't have a time limit, so they are just doing what they are supposed to do.

Funny, I looked at the photos before reading on, and my first thought was "they aren't sheared, but man are they short". The attachment seems different from our '11 19H (not recessed like that), but I will be taking a very close at mine this weekend when we head out on our next trip.

Thank you for the heads up and the further information!
Old 07-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #10

support

Picked up a pair of these (rated at 5000lbs each. I put a piece of plywood at the bottom for a wider support and put a 2x4 tru the top (u shaped, 2x4 fit perfectly). We used one this past weekend (did not use the broken one at all). Dropping it off after work today to have the safety recall done. Not sure my wife will ever sleep on them again but I want too.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer support.jpg  
Old 08-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #11

update.......... the camper is still at the local dealer. The part was not in by the time my appointment rolled around (I'd dropped it off the night before/assumed it would be in). After a week of the part not being in I called the dealer and got the part number and order number (I'm old school Air Force Logistics) and then contacted Jayco to see where it's at. I finally got word from them that it shipped. Called the dealer and gave them the tracking number and called to confirm it was received. So far so good.......... then they called me and said they could not get into my camper. I was told when I dropped it off that they didn't need my keys (I tried to give them the keys) as they had a universal key. Guess what, they don't. So I mailed them my keys (an hour drive each way/mailing was cheaper). Got the keys and started on it this past Monday. Called yesterday to check on it and it seems that they have used up the allotted time for this recall and were only 1/2 way done. They were waiting on approval to finish the other half. If its not one thing its another. lol the dealer did mail me a check to cover shipping. In the mean time my wife re-dislocated her shoulder putting a shirt on. I'll advise when I finally get it back. smh
Old 08-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #12

called the dealer today to check on it and it's not done, seems when it dumped my wife and I it ripped the bolts out, damaged the fold down door/platform and some other hardware to the point it all needs replaced. Jayco is not wanting to cover the costs but I pushed back and told the dealer " I spoke to Jayco before taking it out the first time and they with all my camper info told me it was rated for 1100lbs...... after the accident that injured my wife they told me it had an open recall for the very same thing I asked about it. In my opinion (I know opinions are like @#$$, everyone has one) at the very least they should cover all the repairs and I've not even mentioned the medical bills or missed work. If they would have checked their records and mentioned the open recall all would have been good. Sorry, been one of those days.......
Old 09-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #13

Jayco authorized all the repairs under the recall. The new fold down door/panel will not be a perfect match (old one no longer made/available) and the original stickers are not available either. Dealer called, told them as long as it works and doesn't dump up all is good. Bad news its 4-6 weeks out.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #14

To bad you cannot be using the TT, but at least Jayco is covering the repair costs due to their manufacturing defect.

As for keys per my dealer; the dealers master key will work for the door slam latch. But will not work on the dead bolt. Our dealer has always reminded us of that when we have dropped it off for work.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #15

My dealer walked out with me to verify the door was correctly locked. LOL That said, they have been good to me. Once it is back and fixed I've got 2 5 ton slide out jacks we will be using going forward just to be safe.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #16

just got the call, the parts are in and it should be done this week.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
just got the call, the parts are in and it should be done this week.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 11-09-2020, 08:16 AM   #18

its back, winterized and ready to storage. They were worried about the color of the replacement door. But's its white (maybe a shade lighter/brighter) and it does not have a sticker (not worried). We've already booked a few spots for next year....... can't wait!