Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #21

This is good stuff! Thanks Rustic Eagle.

I'm sure the rig is a bit lighter (probably about 1000 lbs.), but I've been reading this post: http://www.outbackers.com/forums/ind...howtopic=13284
DSS597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

DSS597,

I agree, the Outbackers thread is a little lighter TV/TT application, but provides a good "hands-on" base point for reference. Since you had a TH before, you know how fast weights can add up, especially if one adds fluids.

The one thing about the 32BHDS is it has a "lot" of storage space, and for a family of four adding 1,000lbs of "stuff" (above "ship" weight, which is higher than UVW) is real easy to do.

If you do decide to keep your Yukon as the TV for the 32BHDS, upgrading to an "LT" tire will provide a noticeable difference in handling characteristics when towing a 36ft long TT, even with the Hensley. "P" rated tires lack sidewall strength and tend to give more under towing conditions in general.

I'm sure your thorough do-diligence will provide you with all the correct information to insure that you have a safe and enjoyable TV/TT combination

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #23

Yeah, that was one of the only posts that I could find with a "hands-on", real world, base point as you say, with the same tow vehicle and accessories. (HD tow package, 4.10 axle, etc.) I wish I could find more like it since everything else is just weight quotes passed on from manufacture's literature.

The good thing with our application is we don't really plan on loading up the trailer storage area with much. Our trips will usually only be 5 days or less, so it will basically be a few suitcases, and whatever food we have in the refrigerator and cabinets. A decent estimate would be around 500 lbs of excess cargo in the trailer itself. (No water on board in the tank of course.)

I have 3 major weight components to balance out on the trailer's axle and frame. I have the Motosat which is about 100 lbs., I have the washer/dryer combo which is roughly another 175 lbs., and I have the Onan generator and fuel tank which should be around 200 lbs. with the generator and hardware. I also have to figure about another 160 lbs. if I end up with a 30 gallon fuel tank. That's just over 600 lbs. that I have to evenly distribute (as best I can) over those axles and the frame. The washer/dryer combo pretty much goes right over the rear set of wheels, and I'm not sure where we're going to put the fuel tank until my install guy sees the undercarriage. The generator will be in the front of the rig, and I'm assuming that the fuel tank will be in front of the wheels but as close as possible to the axles. So I'm not sure if I cheat the Motosat's 100 lbs. behind the wheels just to help even it all out. It will be a weight ballet no doubt. Ha, ha. The cool thing is that I have the rep from Jayco to answer any questions. So far we're on point with everything.

Either way from our estimates, we will be on the cusp of the limit of the Yukon's tow capacity, and technically we should be at the only towing 75% of the towing capacity. If it's anything like my last rig, we will be okay.

What I did find interesting in that post was that the owner didn't feel there was a real big difference between the 1/2 and the 3/4 ton Yukon.

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to getting it all squared away and posting some weight numbers and pictures on the forum. I'm hoping to know by week's end our delivery date. I was told just before this past weekend that our build has been "scheduled" already.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, because of the weight of the items that you will be adding balancing the load will be critical.

One item that you may find useful, and will reduce going back and forth to the scales as you move items around for weight balancing, is a Sherline Tongue Scale. I have the LM-2000 model..., I use it often between myself and helping others.

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Well, in the mean time you can visit the CAT scale with your TV under simulated loaded conditions and confirm your "actual" tow rating, and how much cargo capacity you have available for the TT's tongue weight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #25

Yeah, I'll pick one up. And thanks for the tip on the "LT" tires. ;-)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS597 View Post
The good thing with our application is we don't really plan on loading up the trailer storage area with much. Our trips will usually only be 5 days or less, so it will basically be a few suitcases, and whatever food we have in the refrigerator and cabinets. A decent estimate would be around 500 lbs of excess cargo in the trailer itself. (No water on board in the tank of course.)
Just an FYI, most of our trips are of the two day variety (standard weekend), and we don't have anything other than camping equipment loaded (no generator, washer/dryer, etc). Our front storage area is chock full of trailer equipment and camping stuff (chairs, canopies, lanterns, water hoses, sewer hoses/stuff, extension cords, etc, etc, etc). You will fill up the storage area up very quickly without realizing it. Each item may not weigh a whole lot individually, but I have managed to add 1,300lbs without permanently attaching anything to the trailer.

Maybe I missed it, but what did you say the tow rating of your Yukon was?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #27

We're more "urban dwellers" than campers per se. We'll be using our rig more in lieu of hotel rooms when visiting the family every few weeks. I also work in the television industry and it helps me greatly while on location; nothing like being at "home" while away from home. It's much better than a hotel room, and in some cases, depending on how remote the location is, production will rent trailers for the crew. Again, much rather be in my own. That's also why I have the washer/dryer combo, and the other extras like the generator. (Even though we're usually plugged since they have huge generators to supply power on location.)

I totally hear ya' though TexasA&M, I understand it can all add up with storage, but we're really taking inventory of our weight with all of the custom items, and we won't have the traditional extra items that go with regular camping.

With the 4wd, HD towing package, 4.10 gear ratio, the towing capacity in proven "real-world" conditions is between 8200 lbs. and 8900 lbs.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #28

Straight from the manual for the 2007 Suburban.

C-1500 (2WD)
Axle Ratio Maximum Trailer Weight GCWR
5300 V8
3.73 7,100 lbs (3 220 kg) 13,000 lbs (5 897 kg)
4.10 8,100 lbs (3 674 kg) 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg)

6000 V8
4.10 8,100 lbs (3 674 kg) 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg)

K-1500 (4WD)
Axle Ratio Maximum Trailer Weight GCWR
5300 V8
3.73 7,000 lbs (3 175 kg) 13,000 lbs (5 897 kg)
4.10 8,000 lbs (3 629 kg) 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg)

6000 V8
4.10 7,900 lbs (3 583 kg) 14,000 lbs (6 350 kg)

Definitely check your tire ratings. I worry about that more than I do the other "stuff." I believe you mentioned the 20" wheels. If it is like my 2008 'burb. The 20" BF Goodrich that came on it are Passenger tires. Don't remember the exact rating, but it wasn't very high.

I also think you are going to blow past this number:

The trailer tongue weight (A) should
be 10 percent to 15 percent of the total loaded
trailer weight, up to a maximum of 1,000 lbs
(453 kg) for the 1500 series and up to a maximum
of 1,500 lbs (680 kg) for the 2500 series with a
weight distributing hitch.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #29

Yeah, as Rustic Eagle mentioned the 2007 Yukon XL 20" wheels come with the "PT", I will upgrade to "LT".
Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #30

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum DSS597 and BamaFlyBoy! We loved the floor plan of the 32bhds, but unfortunately couldn't pull it with our 1/2 ton. We only occasionally take grandkids with us, so the tt we chose does ok for us.

The last time we went to the Pomona rv show was three years ago when we started our research for a new tt. We focused only on bunkhouses, but it took us a whole full day to get through them all!

Definitely get those passenger tires changed out for the LT's. That was part of the deal when we purchased our bling-bling Platinum (had 20" passenger tires originally) You will be so much safer to you and others on the road. Congrats on the new tt!!!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #31

I would look into a new hitch on the Yukon as well... They are known for failure with higher tongue and trailer weights. I believe there was a post on this board not too long ago where a member replaced his and noticed instant improvement in trailer behavior.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #32

TexasA&M is correct for hitches on pre-2007 GM Full-size SUVs. There is no other hitch for 2007+. The label on the hitch identifies a 1000lb tongue weight max. The 32BHDS is way over this amount (up to 40%). This is why I am not getting a new 2500 Yukon XL.

On the way home in April, after putting in all the stuff I thought I would need in the front storage, my tongue weight was over 1300 lbs. My 2001 Yukon XL with just my wife and myself was within 500 lbs of GVWR. Therefore, I am sure that any 1/2 ton Yukon will be way over on weight, and even with Hensley, dangerous!

I pulled my previous trailer (completely empty) with 1/2 ton SUV and could tell the difference.
Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I would look into a new hitch on the Yukon as well... They are known for failure with higher tongue and trailer weights. I believe there was a post on this board not too long ago where a member replaced his and noticed instant improvement in trailer behavior.
Here`s my thread below on my GM hitch replacement. I would not tow a 32 BHDS with the stock GM hitch that came with my truck knowing what I know now. (I could not tow it anyway with my truck but that`s another story). If the Yukon has this type hitch on it I would change it out for a good Class V hitch, that is if you intend to pull it with the Yukon. But IMO that`s quite a bit of trailer for it unless it is a 2500.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=hitch

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #34

I tow my 32BHDS with my truck and the factory hitch. It is a 1500, but short term I'm looking to update the hitch (this winter), longer term I want to update the truck. The problem with the Yukon, like my Suburban, the hitch is integral to the frame and is NON-replaceable.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof4Girls View Post
TexasA&M is correct for hitches on pre-2007 GM Full-size SUVs. There is no other hitch for 2007+. The label on the hitch identifies a 1000lb tongue weight max. The 32BHDS is way over this amount (up to 40%). This is why I am not getting a new 2500 Yukon XL.

On the way home in April, after putting in all the stuff I thought I would need in the front storage, my tongue weight was over 1300 lbs. My 2001 Yukon XL with just my wife and myself was within 500 lbs of GVWR. Therefore, I am sure that any 1/2 ton Yukon will be way over on weight, and even with Hensley, dangerous!

I pulled my previous trailer (completely empty) with 1/2 ton SUV and could tell the difference.
On a 2500 the hitch is rated for 1500 lbs tongue weight with a WD.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #36

Seeing these pictures, and not having towed in a few years, prompted me today to do an inspection on the hitch. Besides a little bit of surface rust (probably from condensation) on one part of the receiver (I keep a cover on it), it's all good. Definitely not the same tubular style hitch that is in the pictures. I wonder if the one on my Yukon is closer to the aftermarket style hitch in the pictures because I have the HD towing package??

At any rate I'm glad I took a look, it needed to be done and I feel better having done the inspection.

I have pictures, but don't have a place to upload them to get the URL for posting.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS597 View Post
Seeing these pictures, and not having towed in a few years, prompted me today to do an inspection on the hitch. Besides a little bit of surface rust (probably from condensation) on one part of the receiver (I keep a cover on it), it's all good. Definitely not the same tubular style hitch that is in the pictures. I wonder if the one on my Yukon is closer to the aftermarket style hitch in the pictures because I have the HD towing package??

At any rate I'm glad I took a look, it needed to be done and I feel better having done the inspection.

I have pictures, but don't have a place to upload them to get the URL for posting.
I think GM upgraded the hitch in 2007. I also have the towing package and even the 2500`s had that tubular hitch design pre 2007.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #38

The HD tow package gives you an auxillary tranny cooler, a bigger capacity air cleaner, and usually the G80 locking rear axle. It doesn't change the hitch included with the vehicles. The numbers I posted earlier are straight from the 2007 Tahoe/Suburban manual. There were no differences in towing ability for the "tow package" it just makes towing the weight a little easier on the vehicle.

I checked the ratings on our Suburban last night, it matched the book exactly. I also looked at the tubular hitch on our Silverado it is rated 600/5000 weight carrying capacity and 1500/12000 using WD system. The hitch on the Silverado also sits much lower than the one on the Suburban. In order to pull our stock & utility trailers and Mom's camper, I have to use a WD system with an 8" drop shank. Probably wouldn't have to drop it that far for our camper as the Jayco sits much higher.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:17 AM   #39

Here are my pictures. I'm relieved that I don't have the older tubular style.

Weight Ratings:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-O...52520Label.JPG

Receiver:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1...0/Receiver.JPG

Where the two bars meet on the rear passenger side:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O...252520Meet.JPG

Behind the receiver:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E...20Receiver.JPG

Bar that runs from the hitch to rear axle:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...52520Axles.JPG
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
Well, it was a model already on the lot so we did not special order. It does have the power awning, power stabilizers, electric tongue jack, outside kitchen, thermal package, slide out bike rack on the back, 15k A/C and the J Cube in the back bedroom. I also went with the Reese dual cam for the hitch.

We have not camped in the rain so cant help you there.

The Dodge has no issues pulling it, although it is a heavy camper. I have not had a chance to weigh it, but i'm guessing it's coming in somewhere around 9500. It came from the factory at 8640, but dont know how accurate that is.

We hope to get another weekend in before winter, but not sure that will happen with schedules and weather.

Our 2010 32BHDS does not have the outdoor kitchen ( was not available that year). Ours weighs 9300lbs ready to camp. I also went with the reese dual cam. With a family of 6, sometimes 7, we have enough room on a rainy day.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote