Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #31

I would look into a new hitch on the Yukon as well... They are known for failure with higher tongue and trailer weights. I believe there was a post on this board not too long ago where a member replaced his and noticed instant improvement in trailer behavior.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #32

TexasA&M is correct for hitches on pre-2007 GM Full-size SUVs. There is no other hitch for 2007+. The label on the hitch identifies a 1000lb tongue weight max. The 32BHDS is way over this amount (up to 40%). This is why I am not getting a new 2500 Yukon XL.

On the way home in April, after putting in all the stuff I thought I would need in the front storage, my tongue weight was over 1300 lbs. My 2001 Yukon XL with just my wife and myself was within 500 lbs of GVWR. Therefore, I am sure that any 1/2 ton Yukon will be way over on weight, and even with Hensley, dangerous!

I pulled my previous trailer (completely empty) with 1/2 ton SUV and could tell the difference.

Dadof4Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I would look into a new hitch on the Yukon as well... They are known for failure with higher tongue and trailer weights. I believe there was a post on this board not too long ago where a member replaced his and noticed instant improvement in trailer behavior.
Here`s my thread below on my GM hitch replacement. I would not tow a 32 BHDS with the stock GM hitch that came with my truck knowing what I know now. (I could not tow it anyway with my truck but that`s another story). If the Yukon has this type hitch on it I would change it out for a good Class V hitch, that is if you intend to pull it with the Yukon. But IMO that`s quite a bit of trailer for it unless it is a 2500.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=hitch

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #34

I tow my 32BHDS with my truck and the factory hitch. It is a 1500, but short term I'm looking to update the hitch (this winter), longer term I want to update the truck. The problem with the Yukon, like my Suburban, the hitch is integral to the frame and is NON-replaceable.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadof4Girls View Post
TexasA&M is correct for hitches on pre-2007 GM Full-size SUVs. There is no other hitch for 2007+. The label on the hitch identifies a 1000lb tongue weight max. The 32BHDS is way over this amount (up to 40%). This is why I am not getting a new 2500 Yukon XL.

On the way home in April, after putting in all the stuff I thought I would need in the front storage, my tongue weight was over 1300 lbs. My 2001 Yukon XL with just my wife and myself was within 500 lbs of GVWR. Therefore, I am sure that any 1/2 ton Yukon will be way over on weight, and even with Hensley, dangerous!

I pulled my previous trailer (completely empty) with 1/2 ton SUV and could tell the difference.
On a 2500 the hitch is rated for 1500 lbs tongue weight with a WD.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #36

Seeing these pictures, and not having towed in a few years, prompted me today to do an inspection on the hitch. Besides a little bit of surface rust (probably from condensation) on one part of the receiver (I keep a cover on it), it's all good. Definitely not the same tubular style hitch that is in the pictures. I wonder if the one on my Yukon is closer to the aftermarket style hitch in the pictures because I have the HD towing package??

At any rate I'm glad I took a look, it needed to be done and I feel better having done the inspection.

I have pictures, but don't have a place to upload them to get the URL for posting.
DSS597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS597 View Post
Seeing these pictures, and not having towed in a few years, prompted me today to do an inspection on the hitch. Besides a little bit of surface rust (probably from condensation) on one part of the receiver (I keep a cover on it), it's all good. Definitely not the same tubular style hitch that is in the pictures. I wonder if the one on my Yukon is closer to the aftermarket style hitch in the pictures because I have the HD towing package??

At any rate I'm glad I took a look, it needed to be done and I feel better having done the inspection.

I have pictures, but don't have a place to upload them to get the URL for posting.
I think GM upgraded the hitch in 2007. I also have the towing package and even the 2500`s had that tubular hitch design pre 2007.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #38

The HD tow package gives you an auxillary tranny cooler, a bigger capacity air cleaner, and usually the G80 locking rear axle. It doesn't change the hitch included with the vehicles. The numbers I posted earlier are straight from the 2007 Tahoe/Suburban manual. There were no differences in towing ability for the "tow package" it just makes towing the weight a little easier on the vehicle.

I checked the ratings on our Suburban last night, it matched the book exactly. I also looked at the tubular hitch on our Silverado it is rated 600/5000 weight carrying capacity and 1500/12000 using WD system. The hitch on the Silverado also sits much lower than the one on the Suburban. In order to pull our stock & utility trailers and Mom's camper, I have to use a WD system with an 8" drop shank. Probably wouldn't have to drop it that far for our camper as the Jayco sits much higher.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #39

Here are my pictures. I'm relieved that I don't have the older tubular style.

Weight Ratings:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-O...52520Label.JPG

Receiver:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1...0/Receiver.JPG

Where the two bars meet on the rear passenger side:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O...252520Meet.JPG

Behind the receiver:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E...20Receiver.JPG

Bar that runs from the hitch to rear axle:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d...52520Axles.JPG
DSS597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bud Man View Post
Well, it was a model already on the lot so we did not special order. It does have the power awning, power stabilizers, electric tongue jack, outside kitchen, thermal package, slide out bike rack on the back, 15k A/C and the J Cube in the back bedroom. I also went with the Reese dual cam for the hitch.

We have not camped in the rain so cant help you there.

The Dodge has no issues pulling it, although it is a heavy camper. I have not had a chance to weigh it, but i'm guessing it's coming in somewhere around 9500. It came from the factory at 8640, but dont know how accurate that is.

We hope to get another weekend in before winter, but not sure that will happen with schedules and weather.

Our 2010 32BHDS does not have the outdoor kitchen ( was not available that year). Ours weighs 9300lbs ready to camp. I also went with the reese dual cam. With a family of 6, sometimes 7, we have enough room on a rainy day.

2010 Jayco Jay Flight G-2 32 BHDS
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote