Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #1

2012 Whitehawk 26 DSRB uneven tire wear

I have gained a lot of information from from reading the post on this site but now I have a question about the tire wear on the rear tires of our WhiteHawk. We purchased this unit last winter and have only been on two trips with a total of 1500 miles. When we got back yesterday I noticed the inside tread of the right rear tire was extremely worn just like you would have on a car with a toe in problem. The other side was worn a little but not near as much as the right. I was wandering if any of you had run into this problem and what the solution was. Since its a straight axle I'm not sure if there is any way to adjust the tracking. I am going to call my dealer today. Unfortunately he is 3 hours away it sounds like I will be making a road trip. Also does Jayco warranty the tires is a situation like ths.
runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2

I experienced the same problem with my brand new 2013 Whitehawk DSBH. We took it on a few short distance trips after we got it to break it in. Then we took it in September from Orlando to the Smokey Mountains. Before we started home I noticed the inside of one tire was extremely worn. All the tread was gone. I put on a spare and made it home. We took it to our dealer Orlando RV. They said they found nothing wrong and put a new tire on it. I don't believe they even tried to trouble shoot the problem. I feel this way because the outdoor speakers were intermittent and they told me there was nothing wrong with them either. I went to pick up the camper, tapped on the speakers (like I told them to do) and they immediately stopped working. I am going to do the same trip this fall and I am concerned I will have the same problem. I am sorry I can't give you an answer, but I am hoping your dealer is more thorough and will give you a better solution than slapping a new tire on it. If you find out more let me know.
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

On our first trailer (2002 26' Prowler) we had a bent front axle which had to be replaced. The repair shop advised us it was as the result of being overloaded or hitting a curb or a pothole or a railroad crossing too fast. Both tires were wore down to the core on the inside of the tread. Cost of replacing the axle and tires was around $1200.00
baltimorebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

I contacted my dealer today he thinks it is either a bent spindle or axle. He said he would need pictures so he could send them to Jayco to see if they would replace the parts. I will let you know what they say.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 AM   #5

I have now contacted my dealer 3 times since 6/10 I haven't recieved a call back to let me know if they have contacted Jayco or not. Since I am not very good at being patient I have had some time to view some other sites and it appears that Jayco has replaced several axles because of the same problem I am having. So at this time I am hoping that they will step up and take care of this. I am going to give my dealer another week and then I will contact Jayco direct to see what they suggest. The frustrating part is we have a brand new trailer sitting in storage that can't be used until we get this corrected.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

My dealer contacted Jayco about the axle problem and Jayco referred them to Dexter to have them warranty the axle . After verifying the serial number Dexter agreed to replace the axle and both rear tires . I have an appointment with my dealer to have them installed. I had my doubts but I have been very impressed with how Dexter stood behind their product and how hard my dealer worked at putting all this together. I have read some pretty scary warranty stories on line but I have nothing but praise for all the folks invovled in this process.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Today I went to my dealer and they repaired our trailer. Turns out Dexter put the wrong size axles on our trailer. The Whitehawk has the wide stance axles which are 42 inches center to center and because of that it needs a bigger diameter axle. They were really good about taking care of the problem. They replaced both complete axles and the two tires that were damaged. I credit my dealer for doing the leg work but Dexter also stood behind the mistake. Needless to say I am happy and ready for our next trip. Hopefully this is my last axle post.