Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

2014 22FB electrical issue??

ok I feel stupid, but I had unhooked the battery and put it in my garage for the winter and I had left the camper level. well we had 8 inches of snow this past week and it was gonna warm up today, so I figured I would hook up the battery and raise the trailer so when the snow would melt it would run off better. well I think I hooked up the lines wrong, I put the white to the + and black to the -, I unhooked it pretty quick, but do you think I done any damage?? I havnt checked any fuses yet but im gonna. what do you think, besides me being a dumbass.
seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

Whoa....that could be a costly mistake. Check the fuses first and hope all you did was blow a few. Others above my pay grade will chime in to help you out. Good luck!
Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

I just checked and it blew both of the 40 amp fuses, im hoping that's all that happened??
Old 02-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

ok, I replace the fuses, and checked all of the others, and they are good, I hooked up to my house electric and I have power for all the lights, fans, awning the air, fridge and everything works all except the radio?? I also remember when hooking up to electric I would here the converter running for a bit I guess charging the battery?? I do not hear that now!! did I fry the converter??
Old 02-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #5

I suggest this as a quick check of the converter. Measure the voltage at the battery without shore power connected. Next, plug in the shore power and check the battery voltage now. Usually, the measured voltage will be a bit higher, like one volt, with the converter operating and charging the battery. If you have a helper, you can monitor the voltage at the moment shore power is connected, and see the rise as it happens.

As for the radio, I don't know if there is a fuse right at the radio, but it's possible at the back of the radio.
Hate to say this, but transistors can fail faster than a fuse in a reverse voltage situation. Proper circuit design for reverse polarity protection is to use a diode connected backward across the supply, downstream from the fuse, or a diode in series with the 12 volt supply to only allow current in the proper direction. A reverse diode will clamp the reverse voltage extremely fast then blow the fuse in the process. That converter had reverse polarity protection in its design. Your converter may have the protection, and your radio might have as well. Sorry if I'm getting too technical.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #6

The fuses which blew are specifically for reverse polarity. You're probably fine.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote