Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

2014 F150 plus 28BHBE equals?

Hey there everyone,

I know that this question has been asked before and there's many pages to read through (which I have) but I just keep getting confused over the numbers. From what I've seen they don't match mine. I have an F150 Screw Cab with Eco-boost c/w Heavy Duty Tow Package and 3.5 Gear Ratio. Drivers Manual says Max GCWR is 15500LB. I've managed to get a picture of all the stickers that pertain to my potential setup and hope to find out a definitive answer before this Saturday. Hoping someone can tell me if this is safe or not? If it isn't safe what trailer weight would be safe. I would consider a new truck if mine wasn't less than a year old.

Thanks for taking a look.
Attached Thumbnails
truck.jpg   trailer.jpg  
Cyclones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #2

Your payload is 1138 lbs. (total of what your truck is designed to carry)

The tongue weight of trailer is 800+lbs.
The driver and ONE passenger is 300+lbs.
A full tank of fuel is 150+ lbs.

+___
1250 lbs (+ any other passengers, luggage, coolers, ect = unsafe).
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Cyclones,

You are challenged according to the numbers on paper. I have a 28BHBE, and when all loaded up my tongue weight is somewhere around 1100 lbs (don't recall exactly sitting here). So, you are out of payload.

In addition, I advocate my completely unscientific and totally subjective test: the "clean underwear" test. Simply put, I would be a little hesitant with the proposed rig should anything unexpected happen - I would feel much more comfortable with more truck.

That being said - what is your expected use? Less than 100 miles away on mostly flat roads without that much traffic? Or a thousand miles through mountain grades?

My point is that there is the purely quantitative analysis based upon specifications and Cat scale weights, and there is the subjective evaluation based on how comfortable you feel. What is right for me is having both.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:12 PM   #4

Welcome!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post

+___
Also not listed is the wdh (weight distribution hitch) which could be close to 100lbs, or ANY accessories that you (or the dealer) added to the truck after it rolled off the assembly line. Bed liner, tonneau cover/ fiberglass topper, mud flaps, HD floor mats, brush guard, etc all need to be included in the total toward your 1138lbs of payload....

Power wise you would probably be fine, you just don't have the suspension for that trailer. The other major number to watch is the rar (rear axle rating).

Try to pick a lighter trailer, or plan on upgrading the truck.

Keep in mind a tt (travel trailer) needs approximately 12-15% of the total loaded trailer weight to be "tw" (tongue weight). Meaning if you placed a scaled under the tongue of a 10,000lb loaded, ready to camp trailer you would have a tw of approximately 1200-1500lbs. Having this percentage of tw will help give a stable, safe towing experience. As mentioned though, this tw amount is included in the payload of the truck (tow vehicle).

Due to the tw of 12-15%, some suggest when shopping to use 13% of the trailer gvwr for a close estimate.

How much does the family weigh, and what do you plan on loading in the truck bed??? Any accessories added to your truck? This info can help us suggest a possible trailer. Do know that your trucks payload is fairly low which is going to be tough!! We had a '10 Chevy 1500 CCSB 4x4, but it had about 1550lbs of payload per the yellow sticker.

Another thing manufacture do is when they list a "brochure" dry trailer weight or tongue weight, sometimes "mandatory" options are not included in the dry trailer weight. The dry tongue (hitch) weight does not include the propane tank(s) or battery either!!! For 2-20lb tanks and a battery it adds about 120lbs to the tw. For 2-30lb tanks and a battery it adds about 160lbs to the tw.

Another concern is the trucks factory receiver hitch. It is only rated for about 1100lbs of tw (with a wdh) if I remember correctly from other posts.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Definitely in the unsafe area. Payload alone will be exceeded should you ever hook up that trailer to your truck. At 6700 pounds before loading it, you are looking at 7500 or so for total weight when ready to camp with a tongue weight of 900+ pounds at 12% and 1,125 at 15%.

Based on your payload, the numbers will not work... any way!

I don't see a way that truck could pull that trailer... even for short distances.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #6

While I agree it looks like you will be overloaded. A full tank of gas is already factored into your 1138lb payload don't add it in again.

Also, the weight listed on the sticker of my 2016 26bh includes the 2 propane tanks. So if yours is the same don't add those in twice too.
Dyelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Sorry OP, I agree with everyone else. Ford really confused a lot of truck buyers with the names of these packages. The max tow package is a misnomer. To tow heavier weights you need the MAX PAYLOAD option.

That trailer will likely be too much for your truck. I bought my 29QBS and pulled it with my Tundra. On paper it worked. I had 1400 lbs payload and we were right at the razor's edge with tongue weight and the family loaded up. We couldn't bring bikes in the bed, firewood, toys for the kids, etc etc in the bed of the truck because we would be over weight. The truck had plenty of power, but I was worried about stopping in an emergency.

Since we travel about 10-15 times a year, including a 2000 mile round trip once a year we decided to upgrade to a 3/4 ton. It was expensive, but we now have PLENTY of payload and plenty of exhaust braking and conventional braking. We can bring the bikes, firewood, toys, stroller, food, water, etc and not have to worry about our weights.

If you are going to do it, you should do it right.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #8

Add me to the "too much trailer for that truck" camp. And I have the first hand experience to back up my assertion.

I towed my 2014 28BHBE for a little over a year with a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 before I finally had enough and upgraded to a Ram 2500. It did okay on the flats, but the minute you get into a hill, it's not good.

I'm MUCH more comfortable now that I have some capacity and I'm not operating on the margin!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

I'm with Bob...towed mine with the wife's SUV for 1st year and had enough. I sold my car and bought Ram 2500 too. Night and day difference!

Dan
Old 10-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyelan View Post
While I agree it looks like you will be overloaded. A full tank of gas is already factored into your 1138lb payload don't add it in again.

Also, the weight listed on the sticker of my 2016 26bh includes the 2 propane tanks. So if yours is the same don't add those in twice too.

As for the gas tank empty vs full concerning payload, I have never been told a for sure either way. One of these days maybe! Lol

Yes, you are correct in that the yellow sticker inside each trailer includes the propane tanks, the "brochure or website" weight does not from what I have found. So while Cyclones is shopping via the website or brochure weight, it needs to be taken into account. Also, my post was geared more toward the fact the manufacture listed dry tw does not include that weight. So a 800lb tw (onky an example) is quickly over 900lbs before loading anything except the propane tanks and a battery.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post

+___
I had a feeling it was looking this way
Old 10-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
Cyclones,

You are challenged according to the numbers on paper. I have a 28BHBE, and when all loaded up my tongue weight is somewhere around 1100 lbs (don't recall exactly sitting here). So, you are out of payload.

In addition, I advocate my completely unscientific and totally subjective test: the "clean underwear" test. Simply put, I would be a little hesitant with the proposed rig should anything unexpected happen - I would feel much more comfortable with more truck.

That being said - what is your expected use? Less than 100 miles away on mostly flat roads without that much traffic? Or a thousand miles through mountain grades?

My point is that there is the purely quantitative analysis based upon specifications and Cat scale weights, and there is the subjective evaluation based on how comfortable you feel. What is right for me is having both.
I'm going to have the remember the "Clean Underwear Test" lol

All of my usage will be within a 2 - 3 hour drive with not many hills. No mountains. It's pretty flat here in Ontario.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Welcome!!!!

Also not listed is the wdh (weight distribution hitch) which could be close to 100lbs, or ANY accessories that you (or the dealer) added to the truck after it rolled off the assembly line. Bed liner, tonneau cover/ fiberglass topper, mud flaps, HD floor mats, brush guard, etc all need to be included in the total toward your 1138lbs of payload....

Power wise you would probably be fine, you just don't have the suspension for that trailer. The other major number to watch is the rar (rear axle rating).

Try to pick a lighter trailer, or plan on upgrading the truck.

Keep in mind a tt (travel trailer) needs approximately 12-15% of the total loaded trailer weight to be "tw" (tongue weight). Meaning if you placed a scaled under the tongue of a 10,000lb loaded, ready to camp trailer you would have a tw of approximately 1200-1500lbs. Having this percentage of tw will help give a stable, safe towing experience. As mentioned though, this tw amount is included in the payload of the truck (tow vehicle).

Due to the tw of 12-15%, some suggest when shopping to use 13% of the trailer gvwr for a close estimate.

How much does the family weigh, and what do you plan on loading in the truck bed??? Any accessories added to your truck? This info can help us suggest a possible trailer. Do know that your trucks payload is fairly low which is going to be tough!! We had a '10 Chevy 1500 CCSB 4x4, but it had about 1550lbs of payload per the yellow sticker.

Another thing manufacture do is when they list a "brochure" dry trailer weight or tongue weight, sometimes "mandatory" options are not included in the dry trailer weight. The dry tongue (hitch) weight does not include the propane tank(s) or battery either!!! For 2-20lb tanks and a battery it adds about 120lbs to the tw. For 2-30lb tanks and a battery it adds about 160lbs to the tw.

Another concern is the trucks factory receiver hitch. It is only rated for about 1100lbs of tw (with a wdh) if I remember correctly from other posts.

Good luck!!!
WOW, thanks for all that info. That does help a lot. I do have a backflip F1 tonneau cover as well as a spray liner done buy ford. Family is approx 400lbs. Of course I do load up some tools and miscellaneous toys for the kids in the back of the truck as well. Sounds like I'm shooting myself in the foot here.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #14

YW!!

Unfortunately all of the trucks manufactures have misled a lot of us by stating the truck will tow "xxxx(x)lbs. I know they can, with one driver towing a flat bed trailer with 10%tw!!!

With your truck, about 550lbs of passengers, tools, and the wdh, you are left with roughly 600lbs for the loaded, ready to camp tw. And that is with only the tools in the bed...

The other thing to keep in mind is kids only get bigger, and heavier as they get older! Reducing your available payload with every meal they eat!

It's possible, just need to find a smaller trailer (or new truck! Subliminal msg!!! Lol).

How many kids?

Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM   #15

I have towed my 28BHBE with a Titan and now with a F150 3.5 ecoboost supercab with no problem here in western MD, is there sway yes a little because it is 33' long, 60 mph and tires inflated to 44 psi and trailer tires at 62 psi, this truck gets great MPG daily driver or towing
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #16

IMO, if you're worried about whether the gas tank is full when calculating your available payload, you're too close. As was stated before ("clean underwear test", which I LOVE BTW) there's a significant difference between what's within spec on paper and what feels or is safe when the rubber meets the road and you're tugging 4 tons of big a$$ tin down the road at 65 mph. Oftentimes you and your family's safety, and your ability to have a good time (that's the whole point right?) are directly related to the safety margin on your equipment. And when your day turns into a bag of s#!t sandwiches out there on the road, I can almost guarantee you'll think back to this decision.

Now I'm not saying every popup or hybrid needs to be towed by a 1-ton dually. But I am saying that the less you have to crunch numbers to figure "can I tow it?" The better off you'll be. I might go so far as to say, if you're crunching numbers that hard anyway, and you're coming up with load strategies and counting every paper plate you're loading into your trailer, and waiting until AFTER the drive to feed the kids etc... perhaps you're too close on capacities.

We all make the decisions that work best for our situation. This is just the stuff that went through my head when it came time to decide my next move. BTDT.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
YW!!

Unfortunately all of the trucks manufactures have misled a lot of us by stating the truck will tow "xxxx(x)lbs. I know they can, with one driver towing a flat bed trailer with 10%tw!!!

With your truck, about 550lbs of passengers, tools, and the wdh, you are left with roughly 600lbs for the loaded, ready to camp tw. And that is with only the tools in the bed...

The other thing to keep in mind is kids only get bigger, and heavier as they get older! Reducing your available payload with every meal they eat!

It's possible, just need to find a smaller trailer (or new truck! Subliminal msg!!! Lol).

How many kids?
Just one boy who is 8yrs old. One of the reason I wanted a bigger trailer was so that he could bring a friend with us. It's just too bad that this one seems so perfect for what we want and my new truck won't handle it well. I bought my f-150 last November so I'd lose too much getting rid of it too soon. Can anyone recommend a lighter Jayco with similar features?

Out of curiosity, could I not put the stuff that I would normally put in the bed of the truck in the rear of the trailer instead? I know that it sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it (I kind of am) but I'm also just curious about the answer. If loaded in the trailer then it's only a percentage of it's weight being added to the payload and not it's full weight. Also being behind the trailer wheels should make any added hitch weight negligible shouldn't it? It would be adding more to the Tow Weight.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I have towed my 28BHBE with a Titan and now with a F150 3.5 ecoboost supercab with no problem here in western MD, is there sway yes a little because it is 33' long, 60 mph and tires inflated to 44 psi and trailer tires at 62 psi, this truck gets great MPG daily driver or towing
Thanks Boomer. Good to know. When I searched for the 28BHBE and F150 in google I actually saw pictures of people doing it. Just wasn't sure about the safety factor.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #19

Have you looked at the 26BHS? Similar but a little smaller. Looks like they only have dealer stock left though - unfortunately, they switched to the 27BHS which is close to the 28BHBE in size...

Are you dead set on the slideout? We looked at the 26BHS, but opted against the slide - we don't spend a ton of time sitting around in the camper, so we opted against the added cost, weight, and maintenance... We love our 26BH - with 2 kids, the bunks are perfect and we find it to have enough space even with them and a medium sized dog.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Cyclone, I believe you are getting some well-intentioned by mis-guided advice from people who are unfamiliar with the F150. While you are correct that payload is your limiting factor, you have much more payload than others are indicating.

If you take your truck to a weigh station, I am willing to bet your truck will come in very close to 5,500 lbs with a full tank of gas. This is because your GVWR is 7350 lbs less your 1800 lbs of payload will give you the weight of your truck.

Your truck DOES NOT have 1138 lbs of total payload. When I saw this, I could not believe how low it was as most F150's have 1400 to 1600 lbs of payload and the Max tow package will give you just shy of 1800lbs and the HD Payload package would have put you up over 2000 lbs of payload. If you look at the Ford 2014 tow guide you will note that payload is calculated based on a 150 lb passenger in each seating position, so based on the 5 seats in your truck, Ford already assumes you have a 750lbs passenger in each seat and a full tank of gas when calculating payload. Ford used to calculate payload based on a 150lb driver and a full tank of gas but this changed in 2013, I believe. The 2015 F150's with the HD Payload package are approaching payloads 3000lbs, which is embarrassing to the Chev and Dodge guys.

I have yet to see a reliable report from somebody who has actually driven a F150 SCREW with a six speed transmission (2009 to 2016) and Max Tow package who has had any concerns about pulling a trailer of this weight and size. I have for the last two summers throughout Ontario, Northern New York, Vermont and Maine without any concern whatsoever for my underwear or the safety of my family or others on the road with me. The 5.4 certainly can't accelerate up the mountains at the same speed as a Powerstroke Diesel with 800 ft/lbs of torque, but I am willing to bet your Eco will leave any gas powered Ram or Chev 3/4 ton in the dust. I have yet to have a problem with my 5.4 not being able to maintain the speed limit although it does have work when climbing. Wish you were closer in Ontario as I would take you for a spin as I am taking my trailer out to winter storage this weekend and I would love to hitch it up to an Eco to see how it compares to my 5.4 with 3.73 gears.

We looked at a lot of floor plans and the 28BHBE is 2nd to none in the 30 ft/7000 lb category. We love the floorplan so our son can bring along a friend or 3 and the enclosed Master at the front is excellent.

My advice is consider where your advice is coming from. Just because somebody had a whiteknuckle or dirty shorts experience towing in the 1980's with a half-ton does not mean they have any idea what your truck is capable of. If you want any additional information from somebody who has actually towed with a modern F150 with Max Tow package, PM me and I can send you my phone number or Skype handle.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote