Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

2014 Jayco White Hawk 27RBOK - What do you all say?

Well my search for a family TT has lead me to look at several different floor plans. Starts to get very confusing.

We are...me. DW, DS (13), DS (18). We tend to camp at state parks, private RV parks, and may try some boondocking on occasion. Beaches, lakes, CA Sierras, AZ Colorado river, etc.

Our stays are usually 2-5 days with a 10-15 day trip planned for summers 2018, 2019, 2020....

Sleeping arrangements are very important. Each child needs his own bed.
Trying to avoid larger 32'-36' overall lenght TT, yet still be comfortable and not too cramped for the 4 of us during inclement weather.

Looked at primarily Jayco Jayflight in years 2009-2016....
28 BHBE, 32BHDS, 33RLDS, 29BHS

Although the larger 30-32 units were very large inside, they are just too long for what I want to pull with my F-350 crew cab truck. I had a 32' (overall 36') and it was challenging to park in some parks, gas stations, restaurants, etc. As I get older....smaller is better!

Found a 2014 Jayco White Hawk 27RBOK. It has a large rear bath, U shaped dinnette, Hide a bed, and out side kitchen. Dinette converts to a 42"x82" bed; Hide A Bed converts to a 46"X72" bed.

What are your thoughts n this floorplan for our family of 4 and intended uses?

What are your thoughts of this floorplan vs.....

a double bunk bed model ex. 28BHBE

or

Real Lounge model with large rear window and a pair swiveling chairs?

Here is Jaycos link to the 2014 27RBOK:

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...e-hawk/27rbok/

Thanks!

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #2

anyone?????

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
Old 08-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
anyone?????
We have a 27DSRL since just me an DW and we love it. Similar layout but no bunks. Wish I could be more help

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

Problem I would have is having to make up and tear down the kids beds every evening/morning. Plus the kids stuff is always in the way. In my opinion a double bunk Model is the way our family went.
Diggerdan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerdan17 View Post
Problem I would have is having to make up and tear down the kids beds every evening/morning. Plus the kids stuff is always in the way. In my opinion a double bunk Model is the way our family went.
Would agree with kids
JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Agree that bunks would be best for teens but they may not be wanting to go with you in a couple years so then the bunks just become places to stuff stuff.

There are only the 2 of us and we love our 2014 W Hawk 30dsre that is the perfect floor plan for a retired couple.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Hi have the 29bh s it is a 2006. Bought it used and have had no problemswith it so far.have owned it for about6 years. It is the 3 of use so we use the top bunk for mis storage. Love this trailer even thou it has it faults the small slide which is only the jack nife sofa ,about a 18 inches opens up the walkway and really adds to the livability of this TT and the kitchen lay out is great also. Our max out at 7500 lb and I pull it with a F 150 2009. Its a bit much for it but your 350 will Handel It easily. One Thing that both me and the DW do not like is the very small bath the tub is big but there is no real dressing room. I don't think that they come with a out side kitchen but I will take the under bunk storage instead .you can put a lot under there. my son seams to do well on the lower bunk it is a double and he takes up most of it. Hope this helps. Ps. Its not the biggest around but we probably stay about a week and a half at a time. So its a little tight but doable. Also it has lots of Windows somthing that lots of new trailers don't have. Even one in the front. Natural light really helps open it up
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

We downsized to a 27DSRL and my husband and I love it. I prefer the added living space over a bunk room. With kids I would choose a bunk room. We have one son college age. He sleeps on the pullout and has in previous RV's. Although he only crashes on us now at the beach during the summer, over the years a bunk room would be great. In a 27 there isn't space for him to stash his clothes or belongings. Then if he sleeps in, he is in the way. Also bringing friends when he was younger, would have provided a private space. This would be great for your daughter since she is 13. Your son's camping days may be numbered as I am finding out. All our friends we camp with have 2 or 3 children. All have bunk rooms and love it. But their campers are at least 32'.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:43 AM   #9

Thanks for replies.

Just not sure if large bathroom and outside kitchen are more valuable (White Hawk 27RBOK)

vs

Double bunk beds, small bathroom and no outside kitchen (JayFlight 28BHBE)

Does anyone have their teens sleep in a U shaped dinnette and Hide A Bed? If so how does it work? Do you regret not getting double bunks?

Thoughts?

Old 08-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Check out the floor for soft spots. Pre 2016 models were made with a foam/ luan sandwich floor and some members reported soft spots in the floor. Later models have a plywood floor.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...fix-40864.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #11

We have friends with a new camper with the outside kitchen and the bunk house (3 teenagers). I recently asked him how he likes the kitchen. His old camper did not have one. He said he really likes the refrigerator and the counter space is nice for serving but he misses the storage this takes the place of. With kids, the outside refrigerator helps with going in and out of the camper. We only have a small outside refrigerator in the 27 DSRL and our son does not drink sodas. any adult beverages we keep inside. So we have really never used it. In fact my husband has talked about removing the mini-frig to gain some storage.
As for our "outdoor kitchen", we have a foldable 48x24 table which store perfectly between the sofa and back of booth when traveling or not in use. We use this for the induction burner or griddle outside or to serve from. It works very well. Grilling we use a smokey joe or the coleman road trip.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Check out the floor for soft spots. Pre 2016 models were made with a foam/ luan sandwich floor and some members reported soft spots in the floor. Later models have a plywood floor.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...fix-40864.html
I am now concerned about lack of plywood floors.

IMHO the floor / roof are not places to skimp on quality construction/materials

This is per Jayco's brochure.....

TuffShell vacuum-bonded laminated sidewalls, front walls, floors

Old 08-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
I am now concerned about lack of plywood floors.

IMHO the floor / roof are not places to skimp on quality construction/materials

This is per Jayco's brochure.....

TuffShell vacuum-bonded laminated sidewalls, front walls, floors
By no means does everyone with these floors have issues and not my intention to scare you off. Just wanted you to be aware and use due diligence when inspecting or purchasing. My personal choice would be not to buy one with that type floor, but that's me.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
By no means does everyone with these floors have issues and not my intention to scare you off. Just wanted you to be aware and use due diligence when inspecting or purchasing. My personal choice would be not to buy one with that type floor, but that's me.
Crabman, you input is much appreciated. I was tempted as the price is much lower than others of same year, and seller is including 2 new Chinese generators. However, after some thought, I may stick to my initial plan which was to find a clean used Jayflight 28BHBE (which BTW has the 5/8" tongue and groove plywood floor).