Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Doindunes Send a message via MSN to Doindunes Send a message via Yahoo to Doindunes
2014 Jayco Whitehawk 28 DSBH Soft Floors!

Hi All!!!,

I just wanted to vent a bit. We purchased a new Whitehawk 28 DSBH February 2014 and just concluded our 4th season with it. This last trip we really started to notice the floors had several soft spots developing. The worst is in the doorway and in front of the sink. I did a bit of research and learned this was common to the flooring type I have in the trailer (laminated) and other models as well. The area in front of the sink looks to be as the thin plywood is about ready to pop through the vinyl flooring and it time, it will. We usually have that area covered with think carpet runners in many areas, but this time it was raining and we had more time than usual in the trailer. This lead to the discovery. I contacted customer service last week at Jayco to tell them what I was experiencing. I know the 2 year warranty in long gone, but Maybe a shared expense or something may be due I thought. I know many people had the floor replaced and some repaired and it was costly. We store the trailer inside and it only has just over 4,000 road miles and 84 nights slept in it (logged), so a floor in this bad of shape is not acceptable. The response was pretty much what I anticipated.....He explained what went wrong, but not why and that a dealer could fix it our I could take care of it myself at a much less cost as it is not that difficult, but time consuming. We know why the floor failed and that is because of a bad design and engineering. So I guess If I want solid floors on a darn near new trailer, I have to deal with it myself. I also brought up the faded front cap that many have had replaced or painted under warranty and that was ignored. I guess I should have kept the trailer outside, used it much more and maybe these items would have risen to the top before the warranty expired.....Sad...Any similar experience's?

Doindunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 PM   #2

Hi to you and welcome to the forum.

There have been some folks here with Whitehawk floor issues and faded front caps. But, IIRC, those were newer than 2014. If that's wrong, I'm sure we'll hear from them!

oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Doindunes Send a message via MSN to Doindunes Send a message via Yahoo to Doindunes
Thank you sir!!! I look forward to learning more. Love the camper and had planned on keeping it long term, but now we are not so sure.....
Old 10-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #4

I have the same trailer but 2013. Same issues... soft floor and faded front cap. Iíll be curious to see what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I have the same trailer but 2013. Same issues... soft floor and faded front cap. Iíll be curious to see what others say.

I actually would mind painting cap and removing logos but wonder how difficult of a job this could be.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #6

I have seen others removing the letters and having a vinyl wrap put in place. Looks nice and was part of my plan until this last trip and the floors was really noticed. I have seen the vinyl done
in tan and white!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #7

Steel structure supports between the flooring and the framing is the best for the soft floor. Working around the tanks under the RV isn't an easy job so I went the easy way. I floated a bamboo hard-wood floor and then use lots of rugs to assist in support. Need to place a 3/8" or 1/2" test piece of wood to see if the bottom of your slide will come in contact with it. The 1/2" is a better engineered floor if you have the clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
0514141513.jpg   0522141316.jpg   0523141210.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #8

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-51685.html

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

We just traded our 2015 White Hawk 23mbh for a bigger 2017, 28dsbh . We didn't have any issues with the floor in the 23mbh as far as we could tell. We just got the new trailer about a month ago and took it out camping to see what and if any problems needed fixing before taking her out next season. No issues with the floor yet obviously, but taking her back to the dealer to have other issues that need to be addressed! With all I'm hearing about the soft floor issues and fading colours on the cap, hope we made a right choice! One thing we upgraded on was upholstery and trailer shell protectant by Gard Group. Has a 5 year warrenty against fading and protect the decals against the elements. We do love the layout of our trailer and wouldn't want anything different! I know all brands have their issues but nothing but a Jayco for us!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #10

In 2016, Jayco went to "plywood" floors in White Hawks to address this problem. The Jay Feather still has the laminate/composite product. I hope ours holds up for a few more years. No more ultra-lights for us after this one, too risky for my liking and temperament.

Equalizer 10K
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote