Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Doindunes Send a message via MSN to Doindunes Send a message via Yahoo to Doindunes
2014 Jayco Whitehawk 28 DSBH Soft Floors!

Hi All!!!,

I just wanted to vent a bit. We purchased a new Whitehawk 28 DSBH February 2014 and just concluded our 4th season with it. This last trip we really started to notice the floors had several soft spots developing. The worst is in the doorway and in front of the sink. I did a bit of research and learned this was common to the flooring type I have in the trailer (laminated) and other models as well. The area in front of the sink looks to be as the thin plywood is about ready to pop through the vinyl flooring and it time, it will. We usually have that area covered with think carpet runners in many areas, but this time it was raining and we had more time than usual in the trailer. This lead to the discovery. I contacted customer service last week at Jayco to tell them what I was experiencing. I know the 2 year warranty in long gone, but Maybe a shared expense or something may be due I thought. I know many people had the floor replaced and some repaired and it was costly. We store the trailer inside and it only has just over 4,000 road miles and 84 nights slept in it (logged), so a floor in this bad of shape is not acceptable. The response was pretty much what I anticipated.....He explained what went wrong, but not why and that a dealer could fix it our I could take care of it myself at a much less cost as it is not that difficult, but time consuming. We know why the floor failed and that is because of a bad design and engineering. So I guess If I want solid floors on a darn near new trailer, I have to deal with it myself. I also brought up the faded front cap that many have had replaced or painted under warranty and that was ignored. I guess I should have kept the trailer outside, used it much more and maybe these items would have risen to the top before the warranty expired.....Sad...Any similar experience's?
Doindunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #2

Hi to you and welcome to the forum.

There have been some folks here with Whitehawk floor issues and faded front caps. But, IIRC, those were newer than 2014. If that's wrong, I'm sure we'll hear from them!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Doindunes Send a message via MSN to Doindunes Send a message via Yahoo to Doindunes
Thank you sir!!! I look forward to learning more. Love the camper and had planned on keeping it long term, but now we are not so sure.....
Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #4

I have the same trailer but 2013. Same issues... soft floor and faded front cap. I’ll be curious to see what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
I have the same trailer but 2013. Same issues... soft floor and faded front cap. I’ll be curious to see what others say.

I actually would mind painting cap and removing logos but wonder how difficult of a job this could be.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:12 AM   #6

I have seen others removing the letters and having a vinyl wrap put in place. Looks nice and was part of my plan until this last trip and the floors was really noticed. I have seen the vinyl done
in tan and white!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Steel structure supports between the flooring and the framing is the best for the soft floor. Working around the tanks under the RV isn't an easy job so I went the easy way. I floated a bamboo hard-wood floor and then use lots of rugs to assist in support. Need to place a 3/8" or 1/2" test piece of wood to see if the bottom of your slide will come in contact with it. The 1/2" is a better engineered floor if you have the clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
0514141513.jpg   0522141316.jpg   0523141210.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #8

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ted-51685.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #9

We just traded our 2015 White Hawk 23mbh for a bigger 2017, 28dsbh . We didn't have any issues with the floor in the 23mbh as far as we could tell. We just got the new trailer about a month ago and took it out camping to see what and if any problems needed fixing before taking her out next season. No issues with the floor yet obviously, but taking her back to the dealer to have other issues that need to be addressed! With all I'm hearing about the soft floor issues and fading colours on the cap, hope we made a right choice! One thing we upgraded on was upholstery and trailer shell protectant by Gard Group. Has a 5 year warrenty against fading and protect the decals against the elements. We do love the layout of our trailer and wouldn't want anything different! I know all brands have their issues but nothing but a Jayco for us!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
#1Remembories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #10

In 2016, Jayco went to "plywood" floors in White Hawks to address this problem. The Jay Feather still has the laminate/composite product. I hope ours holds up for a few more years. No more ultra-lights for us after this one, too risky for my liking and temperament.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

The laminated floors were a good idea, poorly executed. If they had just used a slightly thicker plywood, especially on top, and a slightly more rigid foam..... but the RV industry is into cheap. They need to can some of the bean counters and stop them from modifying the engineering group's selections of materials for the sake of a few cents profit per trailer. I love my White Hawk, and I'm glad it has plywood floors. I feel for those fighting this battle.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #12

Reading about the Big Country Montana (introduced as a residential model), They have introduced a new marine type plywood. It is a 3/8" type OSB board but still sandwiched between foam board. IMHO It all boils down to marketing a 1/2 ton towable type RV. If you camp Fri/Sat 5-7 times a year it maybe it will ok for you, maybe. However if your an avid camper or full timer I would stay with the 5/8" or 3/4" tonged and groove floor.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

I do wish we would have waited a year and then this would not be an issues as they changed the flooring as mentioned in this thread. I also did think about a floating floor over top or even possibly so plate steel cut into the size of carpet runners with carpet wrapped around them and place them in the weak areas. That would be a pain to move around all of the time, but may mask the problem and keep in from getting worse. I also have the Glacier package, so the bottom is sealed up pretty good and insulated, so just another thing to remove if I decided to work on it. I have read that even supports under the weak areas installed from the bottom side will help a bit, but the top layer of plywood is loose and will still move up and down under the vinyl flooring. I guess the thing that bothers me most is the Jayco representative basically telling me to fix it myself with no regard to the fact it was design issue. I am sure some of you own or have seen some really nice vintage campers out there that may be 30-40 years old wit out these issues!!!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 AM   #14

I hear your pain. It's not just Jayco, our old Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS had a laminated floor and it also developed soft spots. That's one of themain reasons we got rid of it. Traded it in for a '17 White Hawk 28 DSBH. Looked at MANY other trailers and almost all of the "lightweight" trailers used a laminated floor. I believe the White Hawk was the only one that didn't and that sold us on it. The White Hawk is a good "semi-light" trailer in my opinion. It has both heavy weight and lightweight construction which is just a perfect mix to be able to tow it with my F-150.

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #15

I have a 2015 Whitehawk 28 DSBH with floor issues and several others isses. I had to argue with Jayco to take my unit back to what I thought was one of their repair facilities in Indiana, to find out they subbed it out to some else in Indiana, who I think was related to the CEO of Jayco at the time. Well when I got it back and went to fill the water storage tank leaked as fast as I put the water in as they neglected to place the full tube and there were other issues that were supposed to be repaired that were no properly repaired one of being the floor and my floor is still soft. I called Jayco customer service as the floor is getting worse and they told me that it was out of warrant and nothing they could do. The floor was one of the main reasons I sent it back to Jayco along with the front wall that was delaminating because they never caulked a marker light in front on the top and it leaked. I am not happy with Jayco and now trying to figure out how I can fix my soft floor on my own and I will never never never purchase another Jayco in my life. It's sad as I thought Jayco would stand behind their products, but with all the fighting I had to do to get them to fix it the first time I now know that I am wrong.
booker is offline   Reply With Quote