Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #1

2014 Jayco X17Z

Hey guys we just bought a 2014 Jayco X17Z. I currently have a 2000 Nissan Xterra SE 3.6L. Towing capacity is 5000lbs. Our vehicle was bought brand new and has many more years to go as we took care of it all these. Only 155K on it. Engine wise we just had it checked over and mechanic said it has lots of life left in it. I've done my research and I know you never max out the towing capacity. I liked that the Jayco was only 3084lbs (I think). I hope this still means if we keep up the regular maintenance of our vehicle it shouldn't crap out on us. What do you think. Feel free to respond anything as I am new to towing anything bigger then a pop up(which we owned prior this trailer). Keep in mind where I live it's very flat country side so I don't have to deal with hills. Keep calm and camp on
Tomsuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #2

First congratulations on the new 17Z. I would check a few things on your Xterra. First your hitch condition and its load rating. I would also verify that you have a transmission cooler. If your transmission runs hot your tranny it will have a short life. Last thing, purchase some aftermarket mirrors so you can safely see what is going on.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

Congrats and welcome. Sounds like you have a good combination.

Good advice from Jagiven.....I tow with an higher mileage Tow Vehicle as well...I have my suspension, transmission, brakes and tires regularly inspected and up to date on their servicings.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #4

Your vehicle will probably move it decently, so I wouldn't be worried about that. What you will have to watch is how much gear you load in your trailer.

Since you said it weighs 3084lbs, you have 416lbs of cargo carrying capacity, and that's not even considering the weight of your battery which is probably 50lbs to deduct from that 416... This is a common limitation with this model, but if you are smart and efficient with how you pack you will be fine. Just don't try to tow with water in your tank!
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

Congrats on your new TT and welcome to JOF from Northeast Ohio!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #6

Thanks guys this is a cool website. Lots of useful info and helpful peops.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Your vehicle will probably move it decently, so I wouldn't be worried about that. What you will have to watch is how much gear you load in your trailer.

Since you said it weighs 3084lbs, you have 416lbs of cargo carrying capacity, and that's not even considering the weight of your battery which is probably 50lbs to deduct from that 416... This is a common limitation with this model, but if you are smart and efficient with how you pack you will be fine. Just don't try to tow with water in your tank!

Now This might sound stupid but when I'm loading and getting ready for camping the carrying capacity includes the stuff that I put into the vehicle too or just the trailer. For example I have a fridge with a freezer if I add 3 bags of ice into the freezer it adds to the towing total but if I'll keep it inside the vehicle in a cooler it doesn't?
Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #8

The stuff inside the TV does not subtract from the TT cargo but the TT cargo does subtract a little from the TV capacity in added tongue weight. Any weight added to either the TT or TV adds to the towing total weight.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #9

Carrying capacity of the trailer is independent of the carrying capacity of your truck. Both are very important numbers to know and abide by. You'll get the carrying capacity of your truck inside the driver's side door jamb.

There is also the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR), which is the weights of both your loaded trailer and loaded truck; have to stay under that number too.

If the ice is going in a cooler in the back of the truck, it goes against your truck's capacity AND the GCVWR.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote