Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
L&G

2015 26BH electricity not working

We brought our trailer home today to get ready for a trip and the power isn't working.

The GFCI on my garage's standard 110 volt outlet tripped when I plugged in my trailer. I turned off all the trailer's circuit breakers except for the main circuit breaker and tried again. The GFCI tripped again. I tried plugging in something else on this outlet and it worked. I've never had this problem with the trailer before. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Thanks for any help!
L&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #2

Can't have a gfci outlet downstream from another gfci outlet. Try pushing the test button on your gfci outlets in the tt and try again. Or it could be a problem with your breaker/fuse/converter assy. But it is easy enough to try the outlets first.
Old and soft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #3
L&G

Thanks. Looks like it is a moisture problem. We have a vent on the outside for the refrigerator. We've had water come in there before. We checked it and it is wet in there. Drying it out and making a plan for a protective cover. We've only had problems when it sits at the storage facility.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #4

Unless that outlet is only on the main breaker, it should not have been a problem when you "turned off all the breakers."

Perhaps you are pulling too many amps in your trailer. You house outlet is probably on a 15 or 20 amp breaker and if anything else is on that circuit you might be over loading it.

I routinely plug our trailer into a home outlet that is a gfci outlet with no problems and there are two gfci circuits in the travel trailer. I can even run the A/C as long as nothing else is running in the trailer other than the fridge.

First, I would inspect your power cord to the trailer for damage. If it plugs into the trailer, disconnect it from the trailer and plug it in alone. If it is hard wired to the trailer, turn off the main breaker and see if the gfci trips. You could have a bad gfci or the microwave is tripping it.

You need to get an outlet tester and check your house outlet then check each outlet in the trailer.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #5
L&G

Thanks. We've had the trailer for six years and haven't had problems with plugging it in at home. We can plug it into a regular outlet as long as we don't run the AC. We do have a special 30 amp outlet that allows us to run everything, including the AC. When we tried to get it set up yesterday, we tried the 30 amp outlet first but when it tripped, we tried a regular outlet. Nothing was turned on in the trailer.

Knowing we had had water infiltration through the refrigerator vent before, we took off the vent cover and checked inside. There are outlets and wires in there and there was water. We're working on drying it out now. I'll report back and let you know if that solves the problem.