Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #1

2015 28bhbe

We're in the market to trade in our Feather Lite hybrid for a 2015 28BHBE. We're towing our current rig with a F-150 V6 Ecoboost 3.31, and I want to be certain it'll be enough truck to pull. Unloaded trailer weight is around 6100 lbs and the truck is rated for 9400 towing capacity. Any thoughts?

We looked at the trailer at our local dealership, but it doesn't have the options we want, so we're thinking about custom ordering. According to Jayco, they will start rolling out 2016 models starting May 8th, however our dealership knows nothing about that. Is anyone else holding off until the 2016 models are out? I'm curious to see the pricing and options.

2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #2

The 28BHBE is a beautiful unit. As you can see in my sig i have a 2015 model (born Aug 2,2014). Yellow sticker as delivered with full propane tanks was 7189lbs. Loaded for first camping trip we tipped the scales at 8800lbs. 1200lbs of that was tongue weight. We did have full capacity in our fresh water tanks. It was a beautiful week of boondocking in Wells Gray Provincial Park in BC in September. You may run out of payload.

Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceOnFire View Post
We're in the market to trade in our Feather Lite hybrid for a 2015 28BHBE. We're towing our current rig with a F-150 V6 Ecoboost 3.31, and I want to be certain it'll be enough truck to pull. Unloaded trailer weight is around 6100 lbs and the truck is rated for 9400 towing capacity. Any thoughts?

We looked at the trailer at our local dealership, but it doesn't have the options we want, so we're thinking about custom ordering. According to Jayco, they will start rolling out 2016 models starting May 8th, however our dealership knows nothing about that. Is anyone else holding off until the 2016 models are out? I'm curious to see the pricing and options.
I have the same truck as you only it has the Max Tow package with 3.73. My wife and I looked at this same trailer before we ordered our 23MBH. In addition my buddy has the same floorplan in the Dutchmen line. He tows it with an F250 7.3 diesel and his truck struggles in the mountains. Since you don't have the max tow package the tongue weight alone will max out your payload which will leave with you no factor for occupants or anything in the bed. I personally think it is too much trailer for your truck but that's simply my opinion. Good luck in your search!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #4

We looked at the same model when we had a '14 Silverado 1500 with a little better towing specs than yours. After running the numbers and talking to others with the same trailer I arrived at it being more trailer than I was comfortable with for a 1/2 ton. Of course there are some doing it but I'm not interested in being that close to the max. We ended up moving to a 3/4 ton and then up in trailer since we had the capacity.

There is a big difference in the weights Jayco advertises and what typically shows up on the yellow sticker.

I'd vote new TV or smaller TT.
drk98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

You don't mention whether it is the Jayflight or Eagle 28BHBE. We have the 2015 Eagle and delivered with bike rack and few other options weighs in at just under 7300 lbs according to yellow sticker whereas the posted weight was 6700lbs. I pull it with a 2010 5.4 with Maxtow. The tow capacity is supposed to be 11,100lbs and I am nowhere near that. The Maxtow package adds about 300 lbs of payload and I am closer than I would like to be on payload. I do not carry full water tanks (full freshwater adds 800lbs of trailer weight and at least 100lbs of tongue weight). The 5.4 has to work pretty hard through mountains of NY, NH, VT and Maine but is able to maintain speed limit but the Eco would be better to have in the mountains.

Payload will be your limiting factor and your payload will probably be around 1400 lbs depending on the options on your truck. You definitely won't be able to take everything you want camping.

The 2015 F150's have an auxiliary oil cooler as well as additional radiator capacity and 3.73 gears in the HD Payload with Maxtow package which is required for the advertised 12,000lb towing capacity, which are likely not included on your F150.

You might be close on the rated capacities, but I think towing the 28BHBE a lot through the mountains would be a real chore with your F150 IMHO.

2010 Ford F150 XLT 5.4 Maxtow, Coverking Seat Covers, Putco LED interiors, Kenwood DNX571TR GPS, Kicker Powerstage, Weathertech Floor Mats and Window Vents, Line-X, Firestone Airbags, Michelin LTX-MS2, LivewireTS 5 Star tuned, Propride 3P
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

I very much agree with Ottawasteve, I bought the 29qbs figured judging by the spec sheet weights I'd be fine with a 1500. Long story short I'm now truck shopping.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #7

We have that camper and tow it with a Toyota Tundra. We have full tow package with tow rating of 10,500. Yellow sticker on out unit is 6700. We don't tow with full tanks and need to hit the scale but I'm betting we are right about 8000. I know we are either right at payload or slightly over and the tundra specs are higher than what you are towing with. So far the Tundra tows it well and hasn't show any signs of strain but we have not tried real mountains just some very hilly area's with steep inclines. I hit the Tundra forums and looked at what people with our truck were towing and suggestions to beef up the tundra a bit to handle it all. Maybe you should do that for your truck and see what people with your truck say.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #8

I just picked up my 28bhbe today and it towed fine with my 2014 GMC 1500 it has the 5.3 and 342 gears. I live in summit NY in the catskill mountain range and have a 5 mile up hill to my home. The truck worked hard to get up that hill but still pulled it at 55mph and the trans temp hit a max of 218 the only thing that I may do is add helper springs to the rear I had very slight porpoising not enough to have to add the extra support but I will feel better with it. I got the equalizer weight distribution system and it worked very well the trailer pulled great. my yellow sticker is 6780 this is the metal sided version with the polar package and elite package.
summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #9

We experience some porpoising only on one specific freeway and not anywhere else so pay attention and see if it could be the road conditions doing it.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #10

We were in the same spot you were two years ago. The salesman was very helpful when he said, if you're planning on driving an hour to most of your campsites, we'd be ok with the 28 BHBE. But if you're wanting to travel more, then go with the 28DSBH Whitehawk, it's lighter and pulls a little easier. We went with his suggestion and bought the Whitehawk and I'm glad we did. Last summer we went to the Black Hills and our truck did GREAT with the inclines and we didn't have any problems with the load. Good luck in your shopping, hard decision