Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

2015 Jayco White Hawk 33BHBS

Hello. I have finally decided to get a TT. My family loves the floor plan and looks of the 33BHBS. This will be our first TT. Looking to order this March (tax return).
Any info on a towing and sway control would be helpful on the length of trailer. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
Also, does anyone currently have this unit that they could share their experience?
Bsikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Early spring is RV Home show time and maybe the best time to buy that TT. Get all your info together and best discount pricing you can come up with and hit the show. Show them the money and you'll get the price you want to pay. With all the competition at the show the last thing they want to see is you walking across the hall.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

You Cant go wrong with a Bunk House Lots of room And well Made !!
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

Congrats and welcome to the forum
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #5

Congratulations and welcome! 2014 was our first season with a TT and the best advice we got was to take it slow and easy. We took that advice to heart and had a great first season.

We're thrilled with the way the Tundra handles the trailer and I'm sure you will be too. That said, we did add a Roadmaster Active Suspension to help with the overall ride quality - even with the WDH adjusted properly we were still getting quite a bit of bounce. I think the 2014 may have a softer suspension than yours though...

As far as WDH/Sway Control, there are almost as many opinions as there are forum members IMO for that length trailer you'll want integrated WDH/sway control, and you won't go wrong with either the Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer. I have the Reese as that's what the dealer sold...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #6

That is what I'm worried about. Thank you for the information!!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #7

What is the payload of your truck and how many family members will be coming along? Jayco list the dry tongue weight of 865lbs. Your tongue weight will be in excess of 1000lbs most likely. If this is your first trailer have you crunched all the numbers?
Your Tundra will certainly pull it but you may be close or over your GVWR if you have a big family along.

As far as WDH.... Equalizer and Reese are the most popular and well respected. Blue Ox Swaypro is another one to look at. We are happy with ours.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

Tundra has a 10.4K tow rating. 5.7 liter v-8. We have 4 total family members. 2 adults and 2 kids under 14.
33BHBS states 8500 Gvwr.
I've been told the equilizer is one of the better systems by several different brand dealers.

Looking forward to pricing at the Ft Worth RV show this upcoming weekend.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Welcome aboard.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

check your payload capacity sticker on the drivers side door jam to see what your truck is rated at. It is not what you can tow, it is what you can haul. That tongue weight will be over 1000 lbs ready to camp...that goes directly against your payload...as does the wife, kids, dog, firewood, etc, etc
Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #12

I have a Whitehawk 28dsbh and for my hitch I use the Equalizer 4-point sway control and works awesome for pulling. Easy to hitch up and gives me great control with no sway pulling down the road. The equalizer was a little more expensive than others I looked at but well worth the investment.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #13

Just make sure you want/need this much trailer. It is long. I'm around 55' when I'm all hooked up. You really need to make sure you don't get yourself into a spot you can't get out of. Take the corners really wide.

I had an F150 and I suspect I was over the GVWR of my truck so I upgraded to an F250. I'm very glad I did. Towing 2800 miles on 1 trip late summer hitting some pretty significant grades I was glad I had the bigger truck. I get very little bounce with the F250, where I felt like a hobby horse with the F150 when I hit a bump. As said by others, check your truck payload (GVWR) as with the DW and 2 kids, you will probably be close to the max GVWR of your Tundra. If you want to put a grill or firewood in the bed you will need to be very careful. The last time I weighed the rig I was 16,000 lbs total fully loaded with the 5 of us in the truck.

I have the Equilizer (10,000/1000) and it works very well. It has taken a little to get it dialed in but now works very well. I invested in a set of impact sockets and torque wrenches from Harbor Freight to be able to adjust my hitch. I was a little gun shy at first, but it is pretty easy to add/remove washers to adjust the WD now.

We love the trailer. I really like the back bedroom setup. We went with the bigger trailer since the family has food alergies and we need to take a lot of gluten/dairy free food with us, so the dual pantry was a big seller. I'm working on a way to reduce the shaking in the trailer when set up. Every time the kids roll over we feel it for about 5 seconds or so in the back. The jacks don't do much to stop the motion as the trailer is so long.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be glad to try and answer. I know the newer models have the frameless windows and LED interior lights that mine does not have.

Have fun shopping, sometimes the hunt is the most fun of all!!

Tim

2014 Whitehawk 33BHBS
Equilizer WDH
2023 F350 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7l 3.31
2014 F250 4X4 Crew Cab 6.2 l 3.73 (sold)
2010 F150 4X4 Supercrew 4.6l 3.73 (traded in)
t2daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsikes View Post
Hello. I have finally decided to get a TT. My family loves the floor plan and looks of the 33BHBS. This will be our first TT. Looking to order this March (tax return).
Any info on a towing and sway control would be helpful on the length of trailer. I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
Also, does anyone currently have this unit that they could share their experience?
Hey Bsikes, Now that you have some time on your setup, how do you feel the Tundra tows your Jayco? My wife and I are looking at the same model b/c we love the floor plan with the bedroom in the back. I have a '13 Tundra CrewMax 4x4. I also have a lift and larger 37 inch tires. I wonder how much of a difference this would make. We are in the very early stages of considering getting a TT versus renting one when we need it. But we really like this one if we decide to buy one.
vtdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #15

VT,

Welcome!

Generally trucks with lifts and large tires don't work well with a larger tt. Have you regeared the truck due to the 37" tires? If not, the larger the tire, the "lower" numerically the gearing (more of a highway gear vs towing).

In glancing through some of BSikes posts, It sounds lie when he is able to, he will be upgrading to a 2500/250.

Without knowing the specs of the 33 BHBS (guessing it is similar to our 32 BHDS), I will comment on our 32. This size tt is not something I would be willing to tow with a 1500/150 tv. Maybe if it was a one time tow to a permanent site in the springs then once in the fall for a short distance, but not any distant trips.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:39 PM   #16

The WhiteHawk 33BHBS is awesome!! We love it and try to plan a monthly excursion if we can!! The new 2016 floor plan hasn't changed too much. Added a few windows on the living room slide and removed the window above the outdoor kitchen.

The Tundra Crew Max pulls well. Your rig might be a little too tall. We have 20" rims on ours so we're not as tall as you are but have a hard time unhitching at times. However, gas mileage is horrible. Have to start looking for gas stations around the half tank mark since it guzzles quicker after that point. Last summer got down to 8 miles on the range indicator and I actually got a little worried.

If and when I can upgrade (only one source of income in our family) I will be looking for the upgrade to a 2500/3500. The Tundra does well enough, but, having a little heavier truck with this size of trailer would benefit the towing. Especially when a semi is passing you and it sucks you into it's lane....that's a white knuckles experience until you get used to it!!

Our Crew Max has the towing package. 10,500lbs. The TT hits 8,500lbs total. Not a lot of wiggle room there. Just take your time driving and plan ahead of you want to arrive anywhere early.

We average about 63mph on cruise control. Texas roads get really hot in the summer, so I don't push it over 65mph unless passing.

If you can get the gear ratio in check like what was already stated, this is the trailer for you!! The only reason we got this model was the bunk beds for my teenage boys.

I hope this helps and feel free to shoot me a message on here anytime if you have any questions. I had a lot of them myself.

Brian
Equil-I-Zer WDH

Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #17

Thanks for the insight Need-A-Vaca and BSikes! I have not regeared the truck, but I have airbags installed... Before I got the lift, we rented a Jayco 26BH to take to the Martinsville race every fall. With the water tank full, it can get a little hectic on the Blue Ridge Mountain Highways going to the race. Renting it is really easy and well worth it b/c all we have to do is clean out our trash and drop it off. BUT, I would love to have a slide-out and we want to start camping more as our daughter gets older (she's only 2). I guess at this point, I'll see how the truck handles with the lift and rental this fall and go from there.

Do you think I should go ahead and regear the truck? Would the TRD sway bar also improve towing? The rear end gets a little squirrely when a semi passes and disturbs the airflow, so I definitely want to fix that before I decide to buy our own or go bigger...

Thanks again!
Chris
vtdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote